User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winterizing my Reflection 337RLS

I have a 2020 Reflection 337RLS and when winterizing it for the first time I could not get the antifreeze to pick up from the water pump. After some time I called my brother in law since he had a Momentum and he told me without hesitation that they will not pick up the antifreeze, I would have to pour it in using a hose and funnel. It worked but my question is: Is this a common problem with the Grand Design RV's or just certain ones? If it is a known issue what is the fix other than replacing a perfectly good water pump? It makes it impossible to winterize my trailer without a second person. Thanks for any suggestions or comments!

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If using the Nautilis system, some people have had good luck by removing the inlet screen check valve from the city water inlet connection, some have flipped it around with good success as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    If using the Nautilis system, some people have had good luck by removing the inlet screen check valve from the city water inlet connection, some have flipped it around with good success as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Yup that always worked for us when we used to winterize. Remove the screen, turn it around so that it pushes and opens the check valve and the pump would suck the AF right in. Just don't forget to turn the screen around to its normal position when done winterizing.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I winterized my 303 yesterday. I had to put the jug of antifreeze on a ladder so it was higher than the Nautilus system.
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I have a 2020 Reflection 337RLS and when winterizing it for the first time I could not get the antifreeze to pick up from the water pump. After some time I called my brother in law since he had a Momentum and he told me without hesitation that they will not pick up the antifreeze, I would have to pour it in using a hose and funnel. It worked but my question is: Is this a common problem with the Grand Design RV's or just certain ones? If it is a known issue what is the fix other than replacing a perfectly good water pump? It makes it impossible to winterize my trailer without a second person. Thanks for any suggestions or comments!

Good advice above. Also, open a faucet before turning on the pump. This will relieve the pressure buildup on the pump output and allow it to prime easier.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had the no prime problem last week. Pump sucked 1/2 bottle of antifreeze and then nothing. Thanks to the advice on earlier posts on this subject on this forum I reversed the screen on the City Water input and immediately all was good. And yes, I did restore the screen to normal afterward.
    2021 Reflection 31MB
    2022 Cougar Half Ton 29RLI
    2023 RAM Laramie 2500 Crew Cab CTD 4X4
    Demco Slider Hitch, MorRyde Pin Box

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finished mine. Just air though. Went well.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    I winterized my 303 yesterday. I had to put the jug of antifreeze on a ladder so it was higher than the Nautilus system.
    ^^^^ This^^^^ In three plus years never a problem with the pump getting a prime. I put my jug in the pass through and run the hose to the FW input
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Top Cat

I've done mine 4 times now and haven't had a single issue. Are you following the steps in the owners manual with all of the valves in the correct positions for each step? I made up a short hose from clear 1/2" tubing and a brass male hose end. Make sure the hose is cut at an angle so it doesn't suck up against the bottom of the jug. After blowing out the system with air then I sit my jug of antifreeze right up next to the Nautilus system and go from there.... never takes more then 2 gallons unless I make a mistake and forget to close a faucet.
    Don't forget the toilet water feed, the washer hook ups, and especially the outside shower. Even if you never connect the coil hose and don't use the outside shower there's a strong possibility of water being in that fixture... so make sure it also gets a stream of antifreeze through both the hot & cold valves.
    And if you're like me and use a small pail under each faucet to collect the antifreeze and keep it from splattering everywhere then make sure to add a little to each trap in the system.
    Last edited by IBEW Sparky; 10-21-2021 at 04:52 AM.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First time winterizing my 2021 RLS-337. I cut a short hose so I could draw from a bucket with 2 gallons of antifreeze in it sitting on a ladder to have it downstream feed. At first I had a problem with no liquid being passed. I found that I did not have the white Nautilus valve set correctly. Fixed that and the pump started drawing the antifreeze immediately. I probably did not even need the ladder and next time will just place the bucket in the pass thru. Made sure hot and cold were flowing across faucets/showers. Wiped up the antifreeze in the sinks/shower and was done in minutes. Maybe next year I'll drain the antifreeze into a bowl (thanks Bill) so I don't have to wipe up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast