User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I think you should take huntingdog's advice and stop fighting the use of the propane heater.

Every campground we have ever gone to in any place that even remotely gets cold has rigs with large, oversized propane tanks on their sites. Some permanent, some semi-permanent. So, obviously, they use propane, and maybe lots of it.

We use a small space heater on cold nights but when the temp is predicted to go below 50 degrees I set the propane furnace to come on at 63 degrees as the space heater doesn't keep up. We don't do that for any pipe freezing problems - it is for our comfort.

Our furnace (supposedly) heats the underbelly, the water bay, and the storage bay but not the frontmost storage compartment.
    All great advice, thanks everyone!
    2019 Imagine 2800BH
    2018 Ford Expedition XLT w/ Heavy Duty Tow

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devanl View Post
    is there something that would be usable off grid? it sounds like we want to be using an electric space heater as much as I can
    I'm confused, as using an electric heater and being off grid are not compatible.....

You need 110V to run an electric heater, but you aren't going to have electric or a generator?

Just get yourself resigned to the fact that you will be using LP for heat.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    I'm confused, as using an electric heater and being off grid are not compatible.....

You need 110V to run an electric heater, but you aren't going to have electric or a generator?

Just get yourself resigned to the fact that you will be using LP for heat.
    Just looking to understand my options both on and off grid. Sorry for the confusion.

To your last comment, is there a safe LP option for the pass through?

Thanks,
    Devan
    2019 Imagine 2800BH

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just looking to understand my options both on and off grid. Sorry for the confusion.

To your last comment, is there a safe LP option for the pass through?

Thanks,
    Devan
    The only way I see to use anything but electric in the pass through would be to put a vent through the wall from the bedroom on the driver's side, directly into the hook up area. It should allow heat through to keep the hook ups from freezing.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RVComfort has something that is electric that adapts to the propane furnace.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    RVComfort has something that is electric that adapts to the propane furnace.
    That looks really cool. Seems like a lot of propane for that cost though :P
    2019 Imagine 2800BH

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks really cool. Seems like a lot of propane for that cost though :P
    I agree... it seems pretty pricy....

it reminds me of folks who buy a new vehicle just to get a few more miles per gallon when they could have spent half as much on fuel itself for the rest of the time they owned their vehicle......

I like the gas heat more than electric. But I don't get in really cold weather. Besides, I figure I'm already paying the site fee which includes (some) electric usage for either air conditioning or heat so the electric heater I use at night mostly keeps us warm enough while we're sleeping and doesn't cost anything extra.

I know some campgrounds charge for electricity for long term renters. I did this myself when I use to rent out a lot I owned. One never know how many electric heaters some folks use and it can really run up an electric bill.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m new to the area but hoping its safe to say mid 20’s (F) would be the lowest. I wasn’t planning on having a generator but still figuring out the equipment.

Just wondering if you don’t want to use propane and you haven’t figured out if you’ll have a generator. What do you plan to power the space heater and fans with?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamaddog View Post
    I’m new to the area but hoping its safe to say mid 20’s (F) would be the lowest. I wasn’t planning on having a generator but still figuring out the equipment.

Just wondering if you don’t want to use propane and you haven’t figured out if you’ll have a generator. What do you plan to power the space heater and fans with?
    @Jammaddogg, still trying to figure out if I’ll be staying at RV resorts with full hookups or if I can plan to venture to the sno-parks where I would need to run off grid and what combination of those would work out. Probably I’ll just end up trying and figure out what is comfortable

To be honest, still working out how much I am comfortable driving this in the winter.

Thanks again everyone for the tips.
    2019 Imagine 2800BH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember that your primary concern is keeping the underbelly from freezing, not keeping it warm. If you aren't going below freezing you can use your space heater but if you are going below freezing you need to use the propane to add heat under the rig. When you have days that go above and below you can transition from one heat source to the other. Space heater during day, propane at night. But the propane heat is only going to run using the temp setting in the rig not the temp below so you would not want to wait until you are at freezing before switching. We use the fireplace with propane but do not use the fireplace when below freezing.
    Imagine 2020 2670MK,
    2021 RAM 2500

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast