Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shoddy Work or Acceptable?

I had found that the underbelly on our new to us 2019 Reflection was hanging down on one side of the trailer, right behind the steps. Upon closer inspection I realized that the belly had been cut from one side to the other. In speaking with the original owner I found out there had been some warranty work performed when the trailer was only a few weeks old. A tank had a crack and had to be replaced.

Now I completely understand that these things happen, but I question the method in which it was done.

As I mentioned, they cut the belly pan from one side to the other and when re-installing the used a thin strip of wood to give them something to screw to. Then they taped it back together. The tape had failed and allowed the pan to hang down.

Today I re-taped it and added a couple screws but I'm wondering if using wood as a filler is an acceptable way to do this? I know if I had been the original owner I would have been furious at this repair. I also noticed that a bundle of wires were left running along a steel been. It looks like they were once encased in some foam to prevent chafing. I put some tape on it to give it a little more protection.

I know if won't do anything but I'm considering notifying Grand Design and maybe they would re-evaluate this warranty company.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20211017_140327a.jpg   20211017_140233a.jpg   20211017_141403a.jpg   20211017_141406a.jpg  
    2019 Reflection 337-RLS
    2014 F350 SRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think of an anchor point. If none available, I believe that would have been a good solution.
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not what I would consider acceptable, but whatcha gonna do? The PO was happy with it.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me, under warranty, that section of coroplast needs replaced.
    I had a street side slide cylinder leak & took it to B Dog in Redding Ca. They replaced the curbside cylinder & cut the coroplast to access it. (yup-50-50 chance & they failed). Then taped up.
    With GD approval, I took it to the local mom & pop rv repair. I asked to have the coroplast replaced along with the cylinder, & GD eventually agreed. It was put back better than factory.

GD should, under warranty replace rather than tape/zipper coroplast without being harassed by the owner/repair facility- I didn't buy it taped up.

To your point, I vote for shoddy. I've only have seen them taped, zippered, or replaced. As far as the wiring, that's par for the industry.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All trailers will at some point need to have the underbelly opened up for a repair.
    At that point I drop the entire underbelly, and cut it into sections around 6' long. I use a variety of reattachment methods depending on what will work best at each location. But before doing this, I replace the insulation with polyiscronate hard insulation. As much as will fit.
    The end result is a much better insulated unit that is far easier to service.
    Last edited by huntindog; 10-17-2021 at 06:37 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    All trailers will at some point need to have the underbelly opened up for a repair.
    At that point I drop the entire underbelly, and cut it into sections around 6' long. I use a variety of reattachment methods depending on what will work best at each location. But before doing this, I replace the insulation with polyiscronate hard insulation. As much as will fit.
    The end result is a much better insulated unit that is far easier to service.
    I was thinking the same thing, as far as adding insulation. I noticed that it appears under the basement there is no insulation. Come to think of it, there may not have been anything under the stair section either. We are looking at moving to Montana in a few years. I'll have to drop the belly and get more insulation in there. What do you recommend to join the sections back together? Another proum member did point me in the direction of an aluminum "H" channel but the warranty company tech didn't do a great job cutting a straight line, so that may not work.
    2019 Reflection 337-RLS
    2014 F350 SRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flleek77 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, as far as adding insulation. I noticed that it appears under the basement there is no insulation. Come to think of it, there may not have been anything under the stair section either. We are looking at moving to Montana in a few years. I'll have to drop the belly and get more insulation in there. What do you recommend to join the sections back together? Another proum member did point me in the direction of an aluminum "H" channel but the warranty company tech didn't do a great job cutting a straight line, so that may not work.
    When I did this trailer, I planned on using plastic lattice edge pieces. I ordered it in black from lowes. It is a perfect fit, but I encountered a problem. The underbelly material originally was 2 very long pieces, it was not perfectly flat, but had waves in it. With the cover off. the reason became apparent. GD did a sloppy job installing the tanks. They all hung below the bottom of the frame. Looking this mess over I decded that fixing the tank install wasn't worth the trouble. Doing the mounting brackets would be easy.... But any plumbing attached to then would need to be redone.. There are many problems with doing this after a trailer is built. Leaving the tanks alone had one advantage, they would drain faster as they had more slope.

This meant that my lattice edge pieces could only be used in two locations. They worked well. As for the rest,the underbelly had to be fitted around the tanks and other obstructions. A straight line was impossible. I used a variety of attachment methods most of which involved screws and fender washers.
    It actually looks pretty good, but more importantly it is far better insulated, and easier to work on now.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison