User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much snow RV roof could handle

Hi, I live in PA Pocono mountains area. Last winter we had a lot of snow and ones I cleaned the RV Trailer roof. So the question is how much snow the roof could handle, because most of them are stored uncovered and nobody actually clean them
    Alex
    2018 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Denali
    2020 Imagine 2970RL

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, Alex. Use the search function at the far upper right and you'll find quite a few threads on this topic. I searched on "snow" and "roof" and found a number of pages.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Along the same lines, I'm curious how much ice the trailer can handle. This past February we had 1.5 inches of freezing rain on everything. Luckily we didn't have the new trailer yet, that's a lot of extra weight.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they can handle the weight of a person, they can handle a LOT of snow.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex0853 View Post
    Hi, I live in PA Pocono mountains area. Last winter we had a lot of snow and ones I cleaned the RV Trailer roof. So the question is how much snow the roof could handle, because most of them are stored uncovered and nobody actually clean them
    I think the answer is that you don't want to find out. [emoji846]

The serious answer is that it depends on the build quality of what trailer you have and the type of snow and ice buildup.

I lived in the White Mountains of NH and always shoveled mine...as did the local dealerships. One or two storms no problem, but we were in an area where there was no melting from November until March. When we got to a couple of feet we would clear it.

I personally had as much as two inches of ice and two feet of snow without any indication of trouble...but that was more weight than I wanted up there. This was a full profile heavy trailer. My neighbor left his slide out and didn't clear the roof and the slide roof buckled.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex0853 View Post
    I'm in Montgomery Co. we saw a lot of snow last winter too, mostly wet and heavy. As soon as I was able I went up on the roof during a sunny afternoon with a soft broom to push the snow off the sides. I used the snow thrower on my tractor to keep the ground access clear. As mentioned above, you don't want to find out.
    I used to live in Lake Harmony and it seemed it would snow every day there. Also being surrounded by the mountains and woods my property didn't see a lot of sunshine in the winter months.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my observation they can take a lot of snow. We live in Alaska and see RVs sitting in the lots, either waiting to get fixed or for sale with the snow on the roof. Dealerships will usually remove the snow on trailers for sale but those awaiting service still have snow.

If snow build up on an RV roof was such an issue then insurance companies would not insure RVs in snow zones. Damage can happen but it is not the norm.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    If they can handle the weight of a person, they can handle a LOT of snow.
    This ^^^
    I've had 3 feet or so of snow on the trailer. No issue. I'm thinking more people damage the roof by cleaning it off than those of us that just let it build up and melt off by itself.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here on the east coast of Canada we get everything
    Freezing rain and lots of snow
    My trailers have always sat uncovered on our back driveway. I don’t worry about it
    Like has been said,if it can handle the weight of a person and in my case that would be over 200 lbs per square foot, it can handle a lot of snow
    Snow is only 30 lbs per cubic foot

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The big favorable factor is it’s only an 8’ span. Weight on the couple of feet on either edge is effectively carried by the walls, not the roof structure.
    Dave and Cathy
    2017 Porsche Cayenne S
    2021 Imagine 17MKE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast