User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winterizing with air

I've seen all of the posts about using compressed air to blow out the lines, but not a lot of information on what people are doing to regulate the air pressure to 40 psi or so. I assume some people are using small tank compressors which have a built in regulator. I don't. My compressor is rated to 175 psi in the shop. So looked for the best way to regulate the air for me.

I've never blown out the lines and have always just used the antifreeze. Since the Solitude will live indoors in the winter in an unheated pole barn, figure blowing out the lines is sufficient along with antifreeze in the traps and tanks. We are planning to use the rig in February so another reason to just blow out the lines.

Searched for an air line with a built in regulator and not just a gauge. Hard to find but finally found a Milton 561 at Summit Racing. This should work well for this as well as other low pressure needs. Thought I'd share in case others are needing something like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20211018_092704.jpg  
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost all compressors will have an outlet regulator. I'd be surprised if yours didn't. You can also buy external regulators.

I have an external regulator that I put in line behind a filter. You'll read that unfiltered compressed air can contaminate the water system. I don't know if that is true or not but decided it was cheap insurance. For same reason, I bought a dedicated hose for winterizing.

I set regulator to 30 psi and bought a fitting that adapts to hose inlet. The water heater lines need to be set to bypass, and then I work front to back at each water spigot - faucet, shower, toilet, and outside shower.

Once setup, it takes all of 10 minutes. Then pour some antifreeze in tanks and traps.

This isn't what I have but it would work..
    PneumaticPlus PPC3C-N03G 3 Stage Air Drying System - Particulate Air Filter, Coalescing Filter & Air Pressure Regulator Combo 3/8" NPT, Poly Bowl, Manual Drain, Embedded Gauge https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B016XIWM...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    James and Dawn
    2019 F150 SCREW 3.5EB 6.5' - Haloview MC7109; Cooper AT3 LTX; Sumo Springs; ProPride WDH

2021 Imagine 2400BH - GY Endurance 225/75-15; MORryde CRE3000, HD shackles and wet bolts, X-factor crossmembers

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or you can use your water pressure regulator. I just did that yesterday. I added antifreeze too. I did blow some air in the hot water heater drain and it seems like a lot of water was still in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jproctor9 View Post
    Almost all compressors will have an outlet regulator. I'd be surprised if yours didn't. You can also buy external regulators.

I have an external regulator that I put in line behind a filter. You'll read that unfiltered compressed air can contaminate the water system. I don't know if that is true or not but decided it was cheap insurance. For same reason, I bought a dedicated hose for winterizing.
    I have the filters and dryers on the tank exit. I can regulate at the tank but don't want to change the entire system for this one purpose. I have a lot of drops in the shop. This Milton 561 with the regular on the hose seemed to be a good fit for me. Can also use it for car tires and to drain my oil collection tank which needs really low pressure to not make a mess!

Left The Driveway Texas Telephone_Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can someone give me a tip on how, and where, to connect the compressor? Thanks in advance.
    2021 Ford F-250 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
    2021 Imagine 2670MK
    Pro Pride hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can purchase a blow out plug to fit onto your compressor with threaded ends to fit your city water connection. They are quite inexpensive, $10-15 and usually where you normally buy RV supplies. |Pretty sure Walmart carries them among their supplies. You simply hook it up to your city water connection and open taps one by one. Reduce the pressure on your compressor to about 40 psi. And don't forget to open up your low point drains to blow out of there as well.
    2016 Chevy Silverado LT Duramax
    2022 Reflection 295RL, after owning 2 Rockwood 8289's

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what I purchased...

RV Winterizing kit&Sprinkler Blowout Adapter with shut off valve: Air compressor Quick-Connect plug Water Blow Out Fitting Adapter for Winterize Sprin https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZSF8Z57..._BGkHSkZEoO8yv

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    James and Dawn
    2019 F150 SCREW 3.5EB 6.5' - Haloview MC7109; Cooper AT3 LTX; Sumo Springs; ProPride WDH

2021 Imagine 2400BH - GY Endurance 225/75-15; MORryde CRE3000, HD shackles and wet bolts, X-factor crossmembers

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could possibly be a silly question but here goes. I have a pressure regulator for my water system that is adjustable so was wondering if this would work for adjusting the air pressure?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I winterized today with the Milton air regulator. Worked great. This is the first time I have blown out water lines and was surprised how much water was in the lines even after draining the hot water tank and opening the low point valves.

Was able to use the Milton for blowing out my buried water lines in the garden too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20211101_125320.jpg  

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
    Could possibly be a silly question but here goes. I have a pressure regulator for my water system that is adjustable so was wondering if this would work for adjusting the air pressure?
    I haven't tried it but I'm guessing no.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast