Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

black crayon-like gummy streaks after putting out slide

Hi fellow GD'ers

I have a 320G Momentum with the dining area (passenger side) slide leaving marks on the floor behind on the floor. I cleaned it up 2x now thinking it was just temporary, but now on #3 . It is a black streak, not grease and similar to a crayon marking, but soft enough to clean up with a little ehtanol/alcohol based spray cleaner (paint safe bike degreaser). I first thought the slide wasn't level and it was the plastic on the bottom of the slide dragging however the (soft linoleum) floor itself isn't marred or damaged.

Any help appreciated
    2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
    2017 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 PSD Super Duty

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's front the slide "skids" and a very common issue. We use Slide-Out Slickers to prevent that from happening:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you can source some heavy, slick plastic from somewhere, you can make your own.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    That's front the slide "skids" and a very common issue. We use Slide-Out Slickers to prevent that from happening:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you can source some heavy, slick plastic from somewhere, you can make your own.

Rob
    Your link to Slide-Out Slickers goes to carpet protection Slide-Out Slickers.

Do you use these on linoleum floors?

Do you put them down every time you put the slide in or are they attached to the bottom of the slide?

Are they only for slides without rollers?

Please describe how you use them.

Thanks
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
    Your link to Slide-Out Slickers goes to carpet protection Slide-Out Slickers.

Do you use these on linoleum floors?

Do you put them down every time you put the slide in or are they attached to the bottom of the slide?

Are they only for slides without rollers?

Please describe how you use them.

Thanks
    Yes - they can be used on hard floors (we do - I shaved a lip off one end to make them more suitable). We put them down every time we bring the slides in - they don't attach to the slides. The slide we use them on does not have rollers, it has skids, but my understanding is that they can be used on slides with rollers, too.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Yes - they can be used on hard floors (we do - I shaved a lip off one end to make them more suitable). We put them down every time we bring the slides in - they don't attach to the slides. The slide we use them on does not have rollers, it has skids, but my understanding is that they can be used on slides with rollers, too.

Rob
    Thanks for the reply.

It sounds like the Slide-Out Slickers are what MooManChu needs. When you use the Slide-Out Slickers where do you put them in relationship to the slide, at random, where you are getting damage or on the ends where the built in skids are? Also, do they stay in place or move when the slide comes in.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply.

It sounds like the Slide-Out Slickers are what MooManChu needs. When you use the Slide-Out Slickers where do you put them in relationship to the slide, at random, where you are getting damage or on the ends where the built in skids are? Also, do they stay in place or move when the slide comes in.

Thanks for the input. I've not had this issue over the past two years we've had the trailer until now. Covering the floor addresses the symptom, I'd like to fix the problem causing the skids on the flooring long term given it just started happening. Anyone have an idea how to prevent this?
    Last edited by MooManChu; 10-18-2021 at 01:36 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where are the steaks happening, in the corners or someplace in between ? Also have you checked the bottom seal, it could be degarding,leaving pieces behind to leave those steaks and need replacing
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Where are the steaks happening, in the corners or someplace in between ? Also have you checked the bottom seal, it could be degarding,leaving pieces behind to leave those steaks and need replacing
    Streaks happening one of the corners a few inches in. I checked the slide from the outside, seals all good. Did a good cleaning and Aero 303'd them before our big trip a month ago.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MooManChu View Post
    Streaks happening one of the corners a few inches in. I checked the slide from the outside, seals all good. Did a good cleaning and Aero 303'd them before our big trip a month ago.
    The black marks you describe sound like decomposing rubber seals or maybe tape or sealer residue.

I have a Reflection 337 and your Momentum May be built different. The bottom seal on my dining room slide has a double seal where it contacts the bottom of the slide. Pull down the outside seal and see if there is an inside seal and see if it is starting to degrade. Have some else put the room in and use a good light to see the area where the mark is. Maybe you will be able to see what is causing the marks.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply.

I put them in the path of the skids to prevent the skids from contacting the flooring. They stay in place while the slide is coming in (there is some foam on the back that makes them slide less on the vinyl flooring).

Quote Originally Posted by MooManChu View Post
    Thanks for the input. I've not had this issue over the past two years we've had the trailer until now. Covering the floor addresses the symptom, I'd like to fix the problem causing the skids on the flooring long term given it just started happening. Anyone have an idea how to prevent this?
    There's nothing to be fixed - you've just been lucky so far.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast