User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    You guys are scarring the crap out of me. I've been a little concerned about the emissions system going haywire, but then I learned of this CP4 problem about a year ago, then realized our truck is a 2018 so it should have the CP3. It has about 55K miles on it now. On the other hand I've read the CP3 may not be trouble free either.

Oh well, I guess it is what it is. I refuel at good places, Keep the filters changed between 13-15K mile intervals with OEM filters, use Shell Rotella T6. About every other tank I add some Power Service Product additive in the fuel. Thats about all a body can do.

The 4 wheel drive went out about a month ago, the actuator on the front axle, seems that is a problem to. Fixed under powertrain warranty in about an hour. We are about half way through the 5 year/100K powertrain warranty.

As a side note, I was watching a U-Tube where a guy had got fined 100K by the EPA for installing delete kits. Got that adjudicated down to 25K.
    Yeah, there's a very well-known diesel shop in my area and they were absolutely HAMMERED by the EPA and did multiple deletes every week. PA has been toying around with adding diesel emissions testing to the yearly money grab - err, I mean State-required vehicle inspection.

With a 2018, you should get good life from the emissions. My 2015 is when they made huge improvements, which is why the EGR service no longer mandatory each 65K. I recently did my valve and cooler anyway because of the adjacency with another repair I was doing. After 75K, they were not bad, and way better than earlier models I have done the service on! Definitely need to replace the crankcase filter at-schedule or earlier. The other thing with the emissions is to make sure you run the truck regularly at highway speed and duration long enough to burn and keep the DEF tank topped if you live in a climate where condensation can happen due to wide temperature swings.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Yeah, there's a very well-known diesel shop in my area and they were absolutely HAMMERED by the EPA and did multiple deletes every week. PA has been toying around with adding diesel emissions testing to the yearly money grab - err, I mean State-required vehicle inspection.

With a 2018, you should get good life from the emissions. My 2015 is when they made huge improvements, which is why the EGR service no longer mandatory each 65K. I recently did my valve and cooler anyway because of the adjacency with another repair I was doing. After 75K, they were not bad, and way better than earlier models I have done the service on! Definitely need to replace the crankcase filter at-schedule or earlier. The other thing with the emissions is to make sure you run the truck regularly at highway speed and duration long enough to burn and keep the DEF tank topped if you live in a climate where condensation can happen due to wide temperature swings.
    Well Rob, that makes me feel better. Yes we try not to take any short trips and towing the trailer it gets really used. The oil and both fuel filters are one thing, and I changed the AISIN fluid (mobile 3309) at 30K, I'll change the fluid again and the filter this next time just before 60K. Mopar service is absolutely ridiculous on pricing for this service.
    Got to checking over the truck after this last trip, the terminal on the right battery showing a lot of corrosion. Checking it out found the battery case cracked just at the terminal. Got to change the batteries early, damn. The left battery is fine, crap got to change them both anyway, that's @ $500. On my old 2002 2500 Cummins Ram the original batteries lasted over 7 years, but then again we lived most of that time in Texas.

Well guys - if you want to play - you got to pay!?
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    I'm still adding Howes Diesel Treat every fill-up, mostly for the anti-gel and water dispersing in NH but it does have a lubricant. Everyone has their own preferred product but that's in every gas station up here pretty much - figure it can't hurt. For my 05 F-350 6.0, Archoil could not be beat for stiction but didn't see much of a difference with their fuel additive.

My book says 10K oil change and 15K fuel filter change. Just changed the oil -wish I had had the fuel filters done also. It's going back to dealer for fuel filters as soon as I can get an appointment. What worries me about that is the quality of the techs - there's a whole lot of air in the empty filters. When they cancelled my oil change due to tech shortage, I started to worry.
    When changing the fuel filters the startup process requires turning the ignition on without stating to purge the lines and prime the filters. It can take close to 10 cycles sometimes to fill the filters.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTEOn my old 2002 2500 Cummins Ram the original batteries lasted over 7 years][/QUOTE]

I miss my old 91 D250/Cummins. I got over 7 years with a single battery. Of course, that truck didn't have any electronics to speak of, and would start on the first compression stroke unless the air temp was under 15 F.
    Nothing like the old Bosch VE pumps! After tweaks, injectors, and frankenturbo it would still get 25 mpg as a daily driver.
    Too bad it rusted away
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    When changing the fuel filters the startup process requires turning the ignition on without stating to purge the lines and prime the filters. It can take close to 10 cycles sometimes to fill the filters.
    Ever been in a dealer shop when they change them? Filters are for the lowest man on the totem pole, and I have literally watched them crank a dry diesel for nearly a full minute!!! Could not believe and asked the Service Manager a heart WTH?!? He just shrugged his shoulders and exclaimed, "it's still under warranty." Could not believe it!

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Rob, that makes me feel better. Yes we try not to take any short trips and towing the trailer it gets really used. The oil and both fuel filters are one thing, and I changed the AISIN fluid (mobile 3309) at 30K, I'll change the fluid again and the filter this next time just before 60K. Mopar service is absolutely ridiculous on pricing for this service.
    Got to checking over the truck after this last trip, the terminal on the right battery showing a lot of corrosion. Checking it out found the battery case cracked just at the terminal. Got to change the batteries early, damn. The left battery is fine, crap got to change them both anyway, that's @ $500. On my old 2002 2500 Cummins Ram the original batteries lasted over 7 years, but then again we lived most of that time in Texas.

Well guys - if you want to play - you got to pay!?
    I got 5 years out of the originals. Replaced them with Odyssey AGMs. Much better battery and more suited to my home climate through extreme heat we tow through. When I installed them, I also installed an onboard NOCO Genius battery tender. Let it maintain them when idle in the deep winter.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Ever been in a dealer shop when they change them? Filters are for the lowest man on the totem pole, and I have literally watched them crank a dry diesel for nearly a full minute!!! Could not believe and asked the Service Manager a heart WTH?!? He just shrugged his shoulders and exclaimed, "it's still under warranty." Could not believe it!
    Yup and that's what scares me. Worked at a Pontiac dealer many years ago and the oil change guy didn't realize the dipstick tube became dislodged from the block and was going outside instead of in. He kept adding oil until he saw it in the valve covers on visual inspection. Then he tried to crank it over. I wish I had measured what was drained out.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys are scarring the crap out of me. I've been a little concerned about the emissions system going haywire, but then I learned of this CP4 problem about a year ago, then realized our truck is a 2018 so it should have the CP3.
    The CP3 had a run of 15 years or so - is considered one of the more reliable pumps - now back in 2021 RAMs.
    Robin & John
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So my truck is sitting in Topeka KS, with a CP4 failure. According to the service manager, at the RAM dealership, there are only 9 dealerships in the country with a pump, and not one would give their’s up. So, I’m waiting for that part. (All the other parts have been shipped). I knew about the possible failure, changed fuel filters early, used a lubrosity additive, but to no avail. Could be weeks to months for the part(s). Truck has 28k miles.
    Matt
    2021 Momentum 376THS FW
    2020 Ram 3500 HO Cummins DRW LB
    B&W Companion 25K Splendide Washer and Dryer Separate DV6400X

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattShan View Post
    So my truck is sitting in Topeka KS, with a CP4 failure. According to the service manager, at the RAM dealership, there are only 9 dealerships in the country with a pump, and not one would give their’s up. So, I’m waiting for that part. (All the other parts have been shipped). I knew about the possible failure, changed fuel filters early, used a lubrosity additive, but to no avail. Could be weeks to months for the part(s). Truck has 28k miles.
    That is totally unacceptable and is still under warranty too which of course does you absolutely no good if no parts are available. Did they tell you what they are going to replace it with? Another CP4? I'd lobby very hard for a CP3. There are kits available with a CP3 that meet all emissions standards for 2020 and supply the fuel necessary for advertised performance. I think if it were going to be months, I'd pull the truck to a reliable independent and have them install the CP3 kit and then bill FCA.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast