User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TT hunting View Post
    GD support stated “The current converter is not lithium ready so it will only charge to 80% when hooked to shore power. I believe WFCO makes a similar converter that is capable of fully charging lithium batteries.”
    They can’t make suggestions on which is best. What do you guys think of Progressive Dynamics PD4135KV Inteli-Power 4100 Series Converter? Will this work? Any other recommendations as GD recommended against a 60amp one.
    With two Lithium batteries (LiFePo4) I would start with a minimum 60 amp Converter, 35 amps will not charge the two batteries very fast while still providing power for the rest of the 12v circuits throughout the coach.

Having said that, if GD is recommending against a 60 amp Converter, then it is highly likely that the Power Control Center is not rated to house a 60 amp Converter and/or the wiring from the Converter is not large enough to handle 60 amp charging. Both of these situations can be easily remedied; first, you can simply purchase a self-contained Converter and secondly, you can simply upgrade the wires coming from the Converter to the batteries.

Personally, I would choose a Progressive Dynamics Converter over a WFCO Converter if I were replacing a Converter.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    With two Lithium batteries (LiFePo4) I would start with a minimum 60 amp Converter, 35 amps will not charge the two batteries very fast while still providing power for the rest of the 12v circuits throughout the coach.

Having said that, if GD is recommending against a 60 amp Converter, then it is highly likely that the Power Control Center is not rated to house a 60 amp Converter and/or the wiring from the Converter is not large enough to handle 60 amp charging. Both of these situations can be easily remedied; first, you can simply purchase a self-contained Converter and secondly, you can simply upgrade the wires coming from the Converter to the batteries.

Personally, I would choose a Progressive Dynamics Converter over a WFCO Converter if I were replacing a Converter.

I thank you for your expertise and response. Once I contacted GD support and he said “I’ve honestly never heard of anyone upgrading to a 60 AMP and since this isn’t done at the factory it would have to be installed aftermarket. Most campgrounds will have 30 and 50 Amp services.”

There was some confusion there. I will look into a 60 amp converter. Anyone know of one that fits the XLS 21bhe imagine ?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once I contacted GD support and he said “I’ve honestly never heard of anyone upgrading to a 60 AMP and since this isn’t done at the factory it would have to be installed aftermarket. Most campgrounds will have 30 and 50 Amp services.”
    Wow! You can completely disregard anything that person had to say as they have no idea what they’re talking about. 30/50 amp services are AC and the 60 amp converter is DC.

I echo everything SolarpoweredRV says. It’s spot on.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having just converted my 25G to 540 Ah of lithium batteries, here are my observations.

I finished the install right before I left on a long trip, so I left the original 55 amp LA converter installed. I dry camped the first week drawing the batteries down to 42%.
    The voltage never dropped below 13.2. When I got to the next campground, and plugged in, I never got more than 1.5 amps from the converter to charge the batteries.
    I believe that this because the lead acid converter sees the 13.2 volts as a charged lead acid battery. It might charge the battery to 75% eventually, but it will take forever.

Anticipating this, I bought a Progressive Dynamics 60 amp charger that I mounted separately for the time being. I plugged it in at the campground, and it splits the 60 amps perfectly to the two batteries.

As far as choosing a lithium charger, you can't get one that is rated larger than the wiring in your RV. It still took 5 hours to charge back up.
    Also remember that if you change the converter, you will not get the full 60 or whatever rated amperage. You will get in my case, 60 minus the load on the RV . Even then, it tapers down to a trickle charge as it approaches full.
    2021 Momentum 25G - 2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Gas - 2009 Honda VTX 1300T
    Jack of all trades and master of one :)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deeuubee View Post
    Having just converted my 25G to 540 Ah of lithium batteries, here are my observations.

I finished the install right before I left on a long trip, so I left the original 55 amp LA converter installed. I dry camped the first week drawing the batteries down to 42%.
    The voltage never dropped below 13.2. When I got to the next campground, and plugged in, I never got more than 1.5 amps from the converter to charge the batteries.
    I believe that this because the lead acid converter sees the 13.2 volts as a charged lead acid battery. It might charge the battery to 75% eventually, but it will take forever.

Anticipating this, I bought a Progressive Dynamics 60 amp charger that I mounted separately for the time being. I plugged it in at the campground, and it splits the 60 amps perfectly to the two batteries.

As far as choosing a lithium charger, you can't get one that is rated larger than the wiring in your RV. It still took 5 hours to charge back up.
    Also remember that if you change the converter, you will not get the full 60 or whatever rated amperage. You will get in my case, 60 minus the load on the RV . Even then, it tapers down to a trickle charge as it approaches full.
    This is very helpful. Installer said it would take 3 months to get converter installed. No openings. Might just stick with lithium batteries only for now.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is very helpful. Installer said it would take 3 months to get converter installed. No openings. Might just stick with lithium batteries only for now.
    Replacing the Converter is a fairly simple and routine operation. Maybe you could find a Mobile RV technician that could perform the operation much sooner.
    David and Peggy
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Replacing the Converter is a fairly simple and routine operation. Maybe you could find a Mobile RV technician that could perform the operation much sooner.
    His is not quite as simple as yours would be. These smaller 30 amp trailers have the converter built into the power center so you need to replace the entire power center. Not that difficult but certainly not as easy as a stand alone converter that has 2 wires on one end and an 3 prong plug on the other.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul & Deb View Post
    His is not quite as simple as yours would be. These smaller 30 amp trailers have the converter built into the power center so you need to replace the entire power center. Not that difficult but certainly not as easy as a stand alone converter that has 2 wires on one end and an 3 prong plug on the other.
    You do not need to replace the entire Power Center. They make replacement Converters that go right into the Power Center to replace the OEM Converter.

Here is an example:

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...4560LICSV.html

In many ways replacing a Converter located inside a Power Center is easier because you have access to the Converter and you don't need to remove any access panels to find the Converter. If you are at all handy replacing the OEM Converter would take less than an hour, start to finish.
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do not need to replace the entire Power Center. They make replacement Converters that go right into the Power Center to replace the OEM Converter.

Here is an example:

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...4560LICSV.html

In many ways replacing a Converter located inside a Power Center is easier because you have access to the Converter and you don't need to remove any access panels to find the Converter. If you are at all handy replacing the OEM Converter would take less than an hour, start to finish.
    I still don't get it. They reference that unit as a replacement part. You would pull out the existing converter/charger, and put the new one in. But on the WFCO distribution panel, there isn't a converter/charger to pull out as it is integrated into the panel. I cannot see on mine how I could "insert" that modules wiring and disconnect the existing converter/charger. Have you actually seen that done? I've searched and cannot find anything that references that type of upgrade specific to an integrated distribution panel like the WFCO 8735P. Would really appreciate if you have info on that.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    I still don't get it. They reference that unit as a replacement part. You would pull out the existing converter/charger, and put the new one in. But on the WFCO distribution panel, there isn't a converter/charger to pull out as it is integrated into the panel. I cannot see on mine how I could "insert" that modules wiring and disconnect the existing converter/charger. Have you actually seen that done? I've searched and cannot find anything that references that type of upgrade specific to an integrated distribution panel like the WFCO 8735P. Would really appreciate if you have info on that.
    Apparently on that model you are correct, the whole Power Control Center needs to be replaced, I have never seen or heard of that before. Usually, the Converter is replaceable inside the Power Control Center.

Here is a response on e-Trailer that addresses your unit. By-the-way, the answer also includes the Progressive Dynamics Power Control Center with Lithium charging you will need for your unit.

Link: https://www.etrailer.com/question-433188.html
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast