Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Home to Alaska with our 303RLS

I posted earlier when we got our Reflection in January in Texas. After a trip to Big Bend National Park ( worth every mile to get there), we had our unit in the shop for fixing some previous repairs that were not done correctly. Then we began our long trip home to Soldotna, Alaska. My wife, Tanya and I have lived in Alaska for 40 years. We recently sold our home and are in the process of significantly downsizing as we travel a great deal. I am describing our trip as it was really our first time to use the 303RLS extensively. We normally travel extensively in Alaska and our previous 21 foot travel trailer was less comfortable for longer trips especially as the years roll by. We will also call the 303 home while we arrange for a new house.

in addition to us, we travel with our 14 year old cat ,KC, (short for Kitty Cat). She has now been to 21 states and 5 Canadian provinces. She has adapted to travel pretty well.

We took our time, hit some snow in the Big horn Mountains of Wyoming and on through Alberta and up the Alaska Highway. Mostly roads were OK. We had several days of wind that I would rather have stayed in a campground, but our weather information was limited as we did not have internet access except intermittently. In this day and age weather reports do not seem to be given over the radio. You are kind of blind (or silent) when going through Canada without internet access. The winds were rather nasty,but the 303 made it through. We visited friends along the way in Colorado and Alaska and got home after 4462 miles. Quite a long journey.

For those considering the trip, there are good RV campgrounds that are open by May 1 until about Sept. 30. After that there are fewer choices. Be sure you have a 15 amp cord and adapters for some places. I recommend getting The Milepost, a publication for travel to and in Alaska. It gives information mile by mile and includes information about turnouts, long grades up and down and where you can stop for fuel and supplies. I heartily recommend a trip to Alaska and there is now a Grand Design dealer in Anchorage. For those conerned about road conditions affecting the trailer, all of the mechanical problems problems we experienced occurred while traveling from Texas through Montana. Some connectors and trim pieces came loose and the screws holding the wheel well flare struts broke loose.

It was a great trip, though you can overdose on beautiful scenery that doesn't change much over hundreds of miles. ( Oh heck, it's just another magnificent vista.).

Thanks for putting up with my belated new member post and hope to see you in Soldotna or elsewhere in Alaska.
    Tom and Tanya
    Live in Alaska, currently winter in Texas Hill Country.
    303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like an interesting trip. I've been to Alaska several time while in the serivce, but have never spent a prolonged time living there. I don't think that is a trip I am willing to subject my truck and trailer to at this point. However, it is a testament to how well built your unit is. I was hopping for pictures to go along with your narrative.
    David & Linda - Plainview, VA
    2008 3500HD CrewCab DRW
    2014 369RL #258
    2007 Solstice
    2008 TrailBlazer
    2016 Kia Sorento
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We love Alaska and especially the Kenai! Look forward to making another trip... but this time with "Tudee" our Solitude 369RL. We only had one issue with our previous FW (Montana 3400RL) going up the "Top of the World" highway to Chicken. The non-flat screen TV vibrated out of most of it's moorings without any damage to the FW or TV.
    Jim and Kathy Marker - Ramona, Ca.
    2014 Solitude 369RL #1277 (AKA - "Tudee")
    2014 3500 Ram Laramie HD Dually Crew Cab 4x4 -6.7 Cummins with Aisin Tranny (AKA - "Big Foot")
    50 gal Transfer Flow Auxiliary Tank
    Curt Q24 Hitch
    2002 2500 Chevy LB HD Duramax Crew Cab- Retired
    EEZRV TPMS- Tire Pressure Monitoring System

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...tesMap_1_1.gif
    http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...ovincesMap.gif

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ginnie and I are thinking about a trip up there next year. Thanks for the informative trip report.

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Ginnie and I are thinking about a trip up there next year. Thanks for the informative trip report.
    Our plan was for next year as well. Dream trip.

Brent
    Brent & Gina
    2018 Ford F250 PSD Crew Cab
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It definitely is a trip that requires planning. This year travel is helped by a favorable exchange rate. When the rate is I favor of the U.S. Dollar exchange for Canadian currency. They will take your U.S. dollar one to one, but if the exchange rate favors Canadian dollars you have to cough up the extra when using U.S. This important to remember since many credit card machines are on dial up and go down regularly so you need currency. Paying for fuel with credit cards has a fee unless your card is that does not charge a foreign currency transaction fee.

Someone mentioned photos. We really did not take many this trip as we were just before the trees leafed out and animal activity is minimal except for grouchy, hungry bears. We have photos from our previous 5 trips and I will find some and give a link so anyone interested can take a look.

Jim and Kathy, you were brave to take the Top of the World Highway to Chicken. I try to wait until July for the road to get graded after breakup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have made 2 trips - one in 2012 with a Truck Camper and again in 2014 with a 178 R Pod. Both Great trips. Ready to go again! Our F-250 Superduty Diesel did a great job on both trips pulling both set ups. But now we have a 2015 337 RLS and upgrading our beloved truck. Alaska is a dream trip, and the scenery between here and there both in the states and Canada is amazing!
    Dean and Janet Larson
    2015 Reflection 337RLS
    2016 F-350 DRW Superduty diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are headed for Alaska in about 3 weeks. The plan right now is to spend about 3 months to get there and get back. We already have the "Milepost" and look forward to a relaxing trip. It is going to be one of those trips where we will be able to stop as often as necessary for side trips and not have to worry about getting from point "A" to point "B" on any kind of schedule. The plan is to go up the AlCan highway and come back the Gold Rush route.
    In your experience is there anything that we should not miss on either route?
    Mike
    Mike and Margarete
    2016 27RL
    2020 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure to allow time between Fort Nelson and Watson Lake along the Alaska Highway. So many bison, moose, stone sheep to see you'll find it takes longer to get between these places. Also, Muncho Lake is just beautiful. We stayed the night in a campground at the Muncho Lake Lodge, a beautiful log lodge and our campsite was close to the water. Watched the float plane take off and land. There is sooo much beauty - just enjoy every day and keep a journal and take lots of pictures! We were gone 2 months both trips and still didn't see everything we wanted, both here in the Lower 48 and up in Canada and Alaska. Don't miss Banff and Jasper - the Icefield Parkway is awesome! Enjoy, Enjoy, and Enjoy some more!
    Dean and Janet Larson
    2015 Reflection 337RLS
    2016 F-350 DRW Superduty diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Dean/Janet, we will add those to our list of "must see" places.
    Mike
    Mike and Margarete
    2016 27RL
    2020 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast