User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2021 Momentum 381 w/Onan 5500

My genset works great, with the outer access door open. If I leave that door open, it will run for hours ,but then of course its louder etc. I should be able to run with the door closed, so I can use it more quietly in places as well as while driving. As soon as I close that door, it will run for 20-30 min and then I think it shuts down and goes into Thermal protection. Supposedly the error code is 36, but I am not sure that accurate. Wondering who out there has had this issue, and if someone with a 351 or 381, solitude, or other could take some pics of the underside of where the vents are please so I can see if I have a factory venting problem please? Thanks in advance.
    Jason
    Last edited by msutoad; 10-19-2021 at 01:09 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msutoad View Post
    My genset works great, with the outer access door open. If I leave that door open, it will run for hours ,but then of course its louder etc. I should be able to run with the door closed, so I can use it more quietly in places as well as while driving. As soon as I close that door, it will run for 20-30 min and then I think it shuts down and goes into Thermal protection. Supposedly the error code is 36, but I am not sure that accurate. Wondering who out there has had this issue, and if someone with a 351 or 381 or other could take some pics of the underside of where the vents are please so I can see if I have a factory venting problem please? Thanks in advance.
    Jason
    I have the same geney but in a solitude. The vents however should all be the same. As is geney specific not unit specific. If I get home early enough I'll try a take a couple pics. Mine will run for hours. The door should not need to be open for it to work.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the note JKellerJr- I figure someone would say that, which makes me feel better that its supposed to work with the door closed. I just need to figure out if something is either not installed properly or if my genset is hosed up. Thanks again, and I look forward to some of your pics. Cheers-

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you checked the air filter to make sure the door is seated correctly? Maybe its drawing in air from the wrong spot and the door shutting doesnt allow for enough air? If no one posts pictures, you could take a picture of yours and we can see how it looks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your note. I have checked the Onan door, and the air filter area too. My RV is at the shop so I cant Get pictures right now, but will in a few days when I pick it up. I will post them here . Thanks for the input for sure. I appreciate it

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your note. I have checked the Onan door, and the air filter area too. My RV is at the shop so I cant Get pictures right now, but will in a few days when I pick it up. I will post them here . Thanks for the input for sure. I appreciate it
    @msutoad, here are a few tips on using the forum:

1) You can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

2) If you use "Reply With Quote" (to the right of "Reply") as I have here, folks will know to whom you are responding and that person will get a notification.

3) You can also tag folks using the "@" symbol and their user name (as I have done yours) - they'll also get a notification that way.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    @msutoad, here are a few tips on using the forum:

1) You can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

2) If you use "Reply With Quote" (to the right of "Reply") as I have here, folks will know to whom you are responding and that person will get a notification.

3) You can also tag folks using the "@" symbol and their user name (as I have done yours) - they'll also get a notification that way.

Rob
    Thanks for the pointers, I am a rookie on the forum for sure, so I appreciate the info.

all items mentioned are now noted
    Thanks

Jason
    2023 Momentum 397TH w/Gen3 Goosebox
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 F-450 Limited PowerStroke

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the note JKellerJr- I figure someone would say that, which makes me feel better that its supposed to work with the door closed. I just need to figure out if something is either not installed properly or if my genset is hosed up. Thanks again, and I look forward to some of your pics. Cheers-
    Here is a pic from the curb side looking across. It was the only way to get back far enough to see the whole area.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	under generator pan.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	37309
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    Here is a pic from the curb side looking across. It was the only way to get back far enough to see the whole area.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	under generator pan.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	37309
    Thanks for that picture. So my picture of the underside is identical with the exception that my exhaust pipe goes more perpendicular to the RV frame. The openings underneath are identical. Hmmmmm... I know the Onan cover needs to be on for it to properly pull air through the system, just not sure why when its closed its not pulling cool enough air to run properly unless there is something wrong with the unit. Although with the compartment door open it works fine (sigh)...
    Other things/thoughts I should consider? It is under warranty, but getting it serviced is about impossible right about now where I live.
    Thanks in advance!

Jason
    2023 Momentum 397TH w/Gen3 Goosebox
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 F-450 Limited PowerStroke

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that picture. So my picture of the underside is identical with the exception that my exhaust pipe goes more perpendicular to the RV frame. The openings underneath are identical. Hmmmmm... I know the Onan cover needs to be on for it to properly pull air through the system, just not sure why when its closed its not pulling cool enough air to run properly unless there is something wrong with the unit. Although with the compartment door open it works fine (sigh)...
    Other things/thoughts I should consider? It is under warranty, but getting it serviced is about impossible right about now where I live.
    Thanks in advance!

Jason
    This is my first onboard Geney so I can't help much. ONAN's are notoriously finicky which is crazy for what they cost. You best bet is to find someplace to take a look or possibly a mobile tech that is familiar with them.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast