User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dexter 4400# axle issues

The Friday before last I turned onto the access road to Assateague Island and felt a good wooble in the trailer. I didn't see anything immediately but there was a PU truck behind flashing his lights. I pulled over as soon as I could and saw the left rear wheel was missing...gone...vanished. The guy flashing the lights was a camp host and saw the whole thing, in fact showed me on his dash cam later. It was catastrophic and quick. The hub integrated in the drum fractured almost all the away around the inside bearing race and took out the bearings and everything mounted on the backing plate. The spindle is nicked pretty good too. Chris was good enough to retrieve my wheel and bring it to the campground.
    The rest has become a nightmare. Grand Design decided to use these axles on their 150 Series fifth wheels and they were discontinued at some point. The big deal is the never adjust brake assembly is unobtainable now, both because they are obsolete and supply shortages. If you have a Dexter 4400# axle it would be wise to inspect your drums.
    Last Thursday trying to identify parts and find a good source I emailed Dexter, here is the answer...... It makes you warm and fuzzy about your trailer......

"From: Customer Service Distribution <[email protected]>
    Sent: Monday, October 18, 2021 9:25 AM
    To: [email protected] <[email protected]>
    Subject: RE: Parts confirmation

The parts are not discontinued, however the 4400lb parts are much less common than the 5200 or 6000lb. I would recommend upgrading the axles.

Thank You,

Dexter Distribution Customer Service Assistance

Redneck –Headquarters
    "

"To: Information <[email protected]>
    Subject: Parts confirma"From: Wicked Ace <[email protected]>
    Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2021 8:22 AM
    To: Information <Informtion

Over the weekend I lost a wheel on my Grand Design 260RD fifth wheel because the hub broke and took all of the brakes, hardware and bearings with it. I’m having a very difficult time finding replacement parts to repair and be able to move my trailer. I have Dexter 4400# axles installed on this fifth wheel and although not even 3 years since it was built the axle is discontinued and parts are obsolete?

This information taken from the Grand Design build sheet: Axle model # 7763221 Ser.# 734164131

I need part # confirmation for a complete loaded brake backing plate and drum.

I think I have the baking plate taken from Eastern Marine’s web site. It is 10" x 2-1/4" Electric Brake Assy. - Left Hand / 4.4k (Post 5/2009) #K23-462-00

The drum is a bit harder as three are listed and I’m not sure of the differences.

DEXTER 10" x 2-1/4" Brake Drum & Hub, 6 on 5.5 #K08-250-90

DEXTER 10" x 2-1/4" Brake Drum & Hub, 6 on 5.5 w/EZ-Lube Cap DEXTER Part #K08-250-91

DEXTER 10" x 2-1/4" Brake Drum & Hub, 6 on 5.5 (4.4k Axle) #K08-407-90

If you could confirm which I need and I’ll be able to see if they are in fact available.

Thanks
    "
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 10-20-2021 at 07:48 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, sorry to hear of the trouble. Glad it wasn't worse.

I have the same unit, so I guess I'd better have it inspected.

Thanks for the heads-up.
    2019 Reflection 260RD
    2017 Ford F250

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just went through this with a friends Open Range Light 5er.

4400# axles.

Takes 3500# brake assembly.

If the bolt pattern for the backing plate is square check the 3500 in 10x2-1/4

If its wider at the bottom stid to stud than top, that's the newer / more common 4400

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    2019 GD Momentum 397TH
    Considering a 395
    99 Ford F-250, 7.3, 6-speed.
    22 Ford F-450
    Former Fulltimers, now just using toy hauler to go to Motocross Races and Mountain Bike parks.
    Va Beach, VA

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CX500T View Post
    Just went through this with a friends Open Range Light 5er.

4400# axles.

Takes 3500# brake assembly.

If the bolt pattern for the backing plate is square check the 3500 in 10x2-1/4

If its wider at the bottom stid to stud than top, that's the newer / more common 4400

That is a general statement that is not correct. There are differences between the 3500# and 4400# brake assemblies, the same with the drums. Best bet is to take the serial # off the axle tag and verify what you have. The bug in the ointment with mine/ ours is the Never-a-Just feature whatever that does. Pages 48 & 49 of the light duty catalogue gives a generic parts inventory.
    https://www.dexteraxle.com/Resources/?type=66
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen a 4400# that the drum and backing plates have 3500 part numbers.

Like I saw it up on jacks in my driveway last week as the backing plates that dexter and lippert swear fits it, don't.

3500 bolt pattern, shoe size, back spacing.

2019 GD Momentum 397TH
    Considering a 395
    99 Ford F-250, 7.3, 6-speed.
    22 Ford F-450
    Former Fulltimers, now just using toy hauler to go to Motocross Races and Mountain Bike parks.
    Va Beach, VA

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umph!!!

Given the current cost for loaded axles, I understand why you're trying to repair. Give TP Trailers in Royersford a call in the AM and see if they have anything that'll get you rolling.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Umph!!!

Given the current cost for loaded axles, I understand why you're trying to repair. Give TP Trailers in Royersford a call in the AM and see if they have anything that'll get you rolling.
    I know TP, I bought a cargo trailer from Tom a long time ago. I went to Cargo Trailer sales and they weren't able to locate anything. The trailer is still in the Ranger lot at Assateague. At this point it might have been easier to replace with a 5200# axle. I did find a brake assembly that is listed in the manual, I don't know the difference between it and the one I lost.
    Guess whats going out front with a "for sale" sign? Enough with the headaches and heartaches. Trying to find someone who CAN work on it is hard enough trying to find someone that Will work on it is about impossible.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 10-21-2021 at 02:30 AM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Earlier this year my 21bhe (purchased fall of 2019) bent an axle and I ran into the same thing - my 3000lb axles had been discontinued and dexter recommended changing both axles to their 3500lb axles. Dexter has a 3 yr warranty for their axles and they offered to send me 2 new axles.

I opted to convert to disc brakes as long as I had to replace the axles and they wouldn't send me axles with discs but they offered to send my the money equivalent to the cost of the 2 new axles and 2.5 hours of shop time cost.

Still waiting for my $700 check to arrive but their 18 business days time period hasn't completed yet.

They should be willing to cover some of the cost for your issue as well.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They didn't make an offer when I emailed last week but what you said is good to know. Thanks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got parts for my 4400 axles from "Redneck Trailer Supply". They had everything in stock and shipped overnight (even though I didn't need it that quickly)
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast