User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Question About Mobile RV Tech for Collision Repair Work

Our 10-month-old 2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE was damaged while in storage by the Class A motor home behind us. The guy thought it was in park when he revved the engine to warm it up quicker, but it was in reverse. Back it went, through the metal divider wall and into the back of our baby. The spare tire holder punched a hole in the rear wall and through to the inside wall in the bathroom. Tongue jack is bent and cannot be raised. Our camper was pushed about 2 feet forward, knocking it off the X-Chocks and sitting a couple of the tires on the rubber chocks we had down (we had those in place to keep her from moving too much during Hurricane Ida and just never removed them after the storm). Spare tire and rim are damaged. Possible axle damage as well.

My question is, could a mobile RV tech fix collision damage or should it go to our Grand Design dealer? It was already set to have it's yearly checkup and the propane regulator recall taken care of on 11/20. The problem is, we need to have it towed on a flatbed trailer due to the possible axle and tire damage and the tongue jack issue. The insurance won't pay for towing (or that's what they say), and it isn't cheap. We had to cancel our camping trip scheduled for 11/3 - 11/7, but would have had to cancel anyway due to my husband's mother going on hospice and us not knowing how much longer she will be with us.

Any way, I just want to make sure a mobile RV tech can repair collision damage like what we seem to have going on, and if they work with insurance to get paid for damage not seen during the estimate by the adjuster.
    Stacie S.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2022 RAM 2500 Limited, Crew Cab, 6.4L Hemi.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We feel for you all the way around. Dealing with hospice the last thing needed was this to deal with at the same me time.

You'll likely need a new rear wall. Either dealer, independant repair facility or send it to GD.
    I doubt a mobile tech would even touch it if the rear wall has to be replaced
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much Marcy & Gary! I knew that would be the only choices, but the FB know-it-alls were saying "oh, a mobile tech can fix that stuff. Call _____ and tell them I sent you." Um, no I will get advice from GD or those who know GD. Good. I had already contacted our GD dealer. My service tech rep will be contacting me soon to let me know when they can take it (they need a place in the repair bays to put it because they don't want it sitting outside due to the hole punched in the rear wall, and neither do I).

The poor guy who hit our baby felt like a total idiot and is such a sweet man. He had called his insurance Monday (happened on Sunday) and the adjuster was there yesterday. We have the same insurance company, so that makes it even more convenient. I just wish they paid for the specialized towing.
    Stacie S.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't advise about the axle/tire possible damage, but if it's still towable you should be able to deal with the bent jack enough to get it on your tow ball.
    Isn't it bolted to the frame? Use a bottle jack to raise it then support with wood blocks and unbolt the jack and secure it on the frame.
    If it's welded raise it up and sawzall it off. It's toast anyway.
    Then hook it up and tow. The dealership will get it off with a forklift.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Jay! I just spoke with the adjuster to get a digital copy of the estimate since my husband is the one who went to meet him, and I won't see him until Saturday (his phone camera isn't the greatest and I could not read the pages he photographed). The adjuster did say it should be able to be towed behind our vehicle and, if anything happens due to unseen damage, they will take care of it. Well, they better hope nothing happens and, if it does, that it doesn't cause damage to our vehicle in the process (it's my daily driver to and from work as well). He did say he did not see any damage to the axles or tires, but he could not see under the tires (duh). My service guy at our GD dealer is trying to set everything up and said it would likely have to be outside, but they would do a temporary patch to make the hole water-proof (it's where the spare tire holder attaches to the wall and isn't huge). At least our baby is in covered storage and is safe from the elements until it can be brought to be repaired.
    Stacie S.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is on the other guys insurance, so yes they should cover specialty towing. Do not let them tell you what they are going to do, instead tell them what they need to do. You should not be involved other than telling them they need to come pick it up and fix it back to original. If you have any plans that have changed because of this then talk about recouping for lost travel.

I get tired of hearing how insurance won't do this or that, if he hit your vehicle on the road they would have to tow it to the nearest dealer to be fixed. Be strong and resolute with their adjuster. The insurance companies job is to restore your RV back to New, do not settle for anything less and do not do their job for them by trying to fix it yourself.