Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hydraulic Slide Stopping - Not 50A Breaker Related

Having a problem with our hydraulic slides stopping during travel (extending and retracting) and would appreciate some feedback from the form.

Slide Background: During our last trip, about six days into our stay we noticed the dinning table side slide was out of level. I checked the the level on the center and refrigerator/stove side and they were both still spot on. New to 5th Wheel's and hydraulic slide units, it didn't make any sense but I went ahead and manually releveled the camper which worked, for a day. Since we were pulling out the next day we just dealt with it. However, when I retracted the slides, the table side kept stopping but finally came all the way in (whew!). It's probably worth noting the leveling jack seem to be operating normally.

After getting home, I started researching the issue some more and found many start/stop issues related to a 50A thermal breaker. Fortunately my build has the 80A device installed from the factory. It's possible the hydraulic fluid level might be low but apparently I need to hook it up to my truck and bring the jacks up to check. I'll do that this weekend. I will say it appears to be at the same level I noticed when first picking-up the camper. I recall seeing it during the PDI and commenting about it being below the minimum level line on the tank and being told that's normal for when the jacks are down and slides out.

I've already contacted GD, who was awesome, and said I might have a leak. If I do, I can't find it. They issued a ticket and I'm scheduled to take it into the shop next month.

Perhaps unrelated but feel like I need to include with this LENGTY post (sorry), is that the day before the slide sagged, the wet batteries boiled over from an apparent high current drawl.

Battery Background: We were hooked up to 50A shore power (all good with the Hughes surge protector) and noticed a foul odder. Thinking it was one of the grey/black tanks we simply added some treatment to them. It wasn't until later I noticed the odder coming from the front end and then more specifically, buy the battery vent. After opening the front compartment, I touched the battery cases and the were both VERY hot. I turned the battery disconnect off and waited until they had cooled down the next morning to remove the covers. Both of them had boiled over and had low/no water in all the cells. I bought some distilled water and topped all of them off knowing they are toasted.

GD thinks it might be the Converter and included it on my ticket.

So... anyone else have a similar experience or any ideas on what's going on? Related or unrelated issues?

Thanks,
    Tom
    2021 Solitude 310GK - Onan 5500 Gen / 300W Solar / Dual pane Windows
    2021 Ford F450 Lariat
    Anderson Hitch
    Tom & Marsha

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a battery issue. May or not be the converter ruining the battery, though. I had a bad battery from the dealership. I experienced the slides stopping issue like you. The converter is not enough amps to run the slides properly so if you have a bad battery you'll get that issue.

I can tell you that the moment I upgraded the batteries (lithium) that issue went away immediately and has never returned. My converter seems to work properly though, albeit not efficiently for lithium which won't be an issue when I put the Victrons in.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like snow-balling bad/weak batteries.

If they were weak or water low the converter/charger would stay in bulk charge to try and charge the batteries 'til the cows come home. Obviously not good. Also, as alluded to above, if voltage is low the pump will pull more amps and trip the breaker. Typically the converter will have trouble providing enough amps to keep up with the pump demand so the problem gets worse.

I imagine new batts are in your near future.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that result; but, I didn't know the relationship with hydraulic pump.

I guess one thing that still doesn't make sense to me is why the slide would sag since we had been setup for over five days before it happened. Does the hydraulic system need to energized in order to maintain adequate pressure?
    2021 Ford F450 Lariat
    Anderson Hitch
    Tom & Marsha

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsAllGood! View Post
    that result; but, I didn't know the relationship with hydraulic pump.

I guess one thing that still doesn't make sense to me is why the slide would sag since we had been setup for over five days before it happened. Does the hydraulic system need to energized in order to maintain adequate pressure?
    Once the pump stops the valves should all shut and hold. Sounds like you may have a leaking valve allowing the pressure on that ram to bleed off.

I would give Lippert (LCI) support a call. They are usually very helpful and can walk you through trouble shooting.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    Once the pump stops the valves should all shut and hold. Sounds like you may have a leaking valve allowing the pressure on that ram to bleed off.

I would give Lippert (LCI) support a call. They are usually very helpful and can walk you through trouble shooting.
    Thanks Jim, when I spoke with GD, they also felt there might be a leak in an area I can't see. Good suggestion calling LCI, I'll reach out to them next!
    2021 Ford F450 Lariat
    Anderson Hitch
    Tom & Marsha

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsAllGood! View Post
    Thanks Jim, when I spoke with GD, they also felt there might be a leak in an area I can't see. Good suggestion calling LCI, I'll reach out to them next!
    Just FYI, the leak doesn't necessarily mean dripping out somewhere, it could be just leaking internally past the valve. Good luck!
    Jim (& Sharon)
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you could be looking at multiple failures, or just one failure that is manifesting itself as several failures. The key is that your batteries are toast, all your failures could simply be the result of the dead battery(ies).

When I was designing my Solar system and redesigning my electrical system, I faced not only the 50 amp breaker issue (replaced with 80 amp), but I also had to address the fact that the hydraulic and Schwintek systems both draw as much as 95 amps. This amperage could not be met with my 75 amp 12 volt power supply, consequently, I had to supplement that 75 amps with a pair of 10 amp 12v Lithium batteries that would supply the peak power that those two systems required (note my main battery bank is 24 volts).

My guess as to why the Slide sagged during your trip is because your Converter could not fully supply the 12v system without the help of your (toasted) battery and when the voltage sagged (at some point) there was not enough voltage to keep the hydraulic valve closed which let some pressure out of the hydraulic ram holding the slide in place.

PS: I hope you upgrade to at least a 100ah Lithium battery (LiFePo4) to help prevent this issue from happening again.

PPS: If they do need to replace the Converter make sure you get a Lithium capable Converter installed.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Yes, you could be looking at multiple failures, or just one failure that is manifesting itself as several failures. The key is that your batteries are toast, all your failures could simply be the result of the dead battery(ies).

When I was designing my Solar system and redesigning my electrical system, I faced not only the 50 amp breaker issue (replaced with 80 amp), but I also had to address the fact that the hydraulic and Schwintek systems both draw as much as 95 amps. This amperage could not be met with my 75 amp 12 volt power supply, consequently, I had to supplement that 75 amps with a pair of 10 amp 12v Lithium batteries that would supply the peak power that those two systems required (note my main battery bank is 24 volts).

My guess as to why the Slide sagged during your trip is because your Converter could not fully supply the 12v system without the help of your (toasted) battery and when the voltage sagged (at some point) there was not enough voltage to keep the hydraulic valve closed which let some pressure out of the hydraulic ram holding the slide in place.

PS: I hope you upgrade to at least a 100ah Lithium battery (LiFePo4) to help prevent this issue from happening again.

PPS: If they do need to replace the Converter make sure you get a Lithium capable Converter installed.
    Great insight and suggestions David, thanks! I do plan on making the change to the Lithium batteries at some point so if the converter is bad, it's an opportune time to make sure the replacement is capable.
    2021 Ford F450 Lariat
    Anderson Hitch
    Tom & Marsha