Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some Solitude questions

Hi Folks,

We are thinking of moving from our current travel trailer to GD 5th wheel, 375RES-R or 378MBR-R. We both are working from home and need two dedicated workspaces for a case when we both have meetings at the same time

We also have to change our truck - we think about RAM 3500 dually but are unsure about the Axle ratio, engine type and 4x4 or 2x4. What are your recommendations?

In the case of 375th we want to replace one of the sofas with a desk, is it possible?

How high are LP storage compartments? Will they fit 28.2" aluminum tanks? (The standard Steel 30's are 23.4")

Your recommendations about WD combo vs stacked washer and dryer?

Thank you, Folks!
    Blessings!

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter&Irina View Post
    Hi Folks

We also have to change our truck - we think about RAM 3500 dually but are unsure about the Axle ratio, engine type and 4x4 or 2x4. What are your recommendations?

Thank you, Folks!
    Blessings!
    Is the truck going to be a daily driver? If so I’d seriously consider a SRW. Properly configured they can have a payload north of 4500 lbs, more than enough for the trailer you’re looking at. Also a 2wd will have a higher payload than a comparable 4wd and be WAY cheaper to purchase and maintain. Of course you’re going to need a Cummins but which transmission is a point for discussion. On the Ram forums most favor the 68 rfe over the Aisin.
    Last edited by Bungy; 10-21-2021 at 09:14 PM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a RAM 3500 dually. Yes a SRW will pull it and it may have the payload too. The dually is about $1300 more new so not that much. My payload is just over 5100 lbs. Additionally, the stability that it adds when pulling in wind and over mountain passes is invaluable. Something a SRW wont offer you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    john and betty
    2019 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW with 6.7 HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, AISIN trans, 3.73 axle ratio
    2020 GD Solitude 310GK
    "Wherever you go, there you are" -Buckaroo Banzai

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Folks!

I've just checked RAM payloads and towing, so SRW max payload with Crew Cab is 4490 lb with HEMI and 4550 lb with Cummins.

25% of 16800 GVWR will be 4200lb; I believe it is expected weight with W/D, genny, propane and batteries

I am a 6xl guy, 360 lb, and DW is an additional 110 lb, the dog, tools, hitch, etc., more 1000 lb, so I'll be way more than permitted...

In addition, the RAM's base is 6210, the trailer GVWR 16800, in total, is more than 23,000 when allowed GCWR is 22,000, so I will be much above.

So I want to have some reserve at least to install an additional fuel tank, which is about 500 lb more, and because of that, I believe that DRW is only an option.

I agree that for daily usage, SRW is much more convenient, but we have a small EV for that Especially when the gas price is CA$6.30/gal (:

How about the axle ratio? I believe 3.73 should be fine.

Also, auto-levelling air suspension - does somebody try?

Blessings,
    Peter and Irina,
    Coquitlam, BC, Canada
    Last edited by Peter&Irina; 10-22-2021 at 12:37 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Folks,

We are thinking of moving from our current travel trailer to GD 5th wheel, 375RES-R or 378MBR-R. We both are working from home and need two dedicated workspaces for a case when we both have meetings at the same time

In the case of 375th we want to replace one of the sofas with a desk, is it possible?

How high are LP storage compartments? Will they fit 28.2" aluminum tanks? (The standard Steel 30's are 23.4")

Thank you, Folks!
    Blessings!
    I usually dont get into these truck discussions because they go south fast. I will just say you can see our Ram truck and Solitude specifics in our signature line. Our Ram has a very high payload rating even being a 4WD. And the AISIN transmission- wouldn't be without it. Yes the AISIN is rather expensive for fluid changes at 15000 and 30000 miles but its well worth it. Additionally we have an in bed tool box that is loaded with all manor of heavy stuff like spare RV loaded wheel brake plates, jacks and a big hand tool box.
    With our truck GVWR 14000 and RV GVWR 16800, yes we are way over our states requirements for a class A non CDL drivers license. No big deal.
    We recently drove our dually sight seeing through the Tennessee smoky mountain park roads and didn't have any problems. Before we went fulltime my wife drove our dually as a daily driver into downtown Austin Texas, her commute was 50 miles round trip every day. She loved it. We do have the 3.73 gears in the truck, get 19-20 MPG not towing and 9-11 MPG towing. We wouldn't trade out our truck for no amount of money! Also it has the CP3 fuel pump not the trouble plagued CP4. Now on our latest move from the Smoky's into Indiana / Ohio area diesel fuel prices here in the midwest is 3.50 - 4.00 per gallon and DEF is around 4.00 per gallon at truck stops. But then again if you are living in / towing a large heavy RV, what did you expect, worrying about diesel fuel prices is the wrong thing to be worried about.

We still use the RVs 30# propane tanks, I have heard but don't have first hand knowledge of, 40# tanks will fit but you may have to change out the tank pigtails for longer ones. Replace the pigtails with longer ones that have a green twist on to the valve just like the OEM ones.

I dont know about swapping out couches for desks or the washer/dryer questions. I'm sure others will chime in about those issues.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 10-22-2021 at 05:51 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm another who would not be comfortable with a single rear wheel truck with either of those trailers. Rear axle ratio doesn't matter much these days with the new 10-speed transmissions, either. As for RWD vs. 4WD, there are those who say they would never be without 4WD. It all depends on what kinds of RVing you plan to do. My BIL is a serious off-roader and could not be without 4WD. Our dually is RWD only (a rare bird) and we've never been in a situation where we needed 4WD. I guess we're softies. The main disadvantages to 4WD are more moving parts to break and the weight lowers your payload a bit.

We are fans of stacked separate washers and dryers with a vented dryer - faster and more efficient. Ours are Whirlpool and a Whirlpool tech will come to us rather than taking the rig to a dealer for Splendide repair or service.

Taller LP tanks would have to be rocked into the compartments top-first (the doors are not 28" tall) and would be tall enough to get into regulators and hoses, etc. I would not recommend it.

You can make any modifications inside your rig you like - and many have. Just be mindful of the trailer's GVWR as you make modifications and add things (good wood for a desk can be considerably heavier than the lightweight RV furniture).

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 10-22-2021 at 12:53 PM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Folks,

Thank you, Folks!
    Blessings!
    For the 4X4 vs. 4X2 portion of your query. I don't know where you call home, but around the great state of Michigan, you would have a hard time unloading a 4X2 truck. Invariably, if you see some dealer selling a truck for a too-good-to-be-true price...It's a 4X2.

I realize 4X2 has more towing capacity, and if you lived maybe anywhere else resale may not be affected, but it is around here. We winter camp quite a bit, and I have used 4X4 to get me out of a slushy and/or muddy situation about 3 or 4 times total. (We camp about 6 months out of the year)
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    2021 F350 DRW 4x4 CC XL 176" WB 6.7L PSD

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much, Folks!!!

Great useful answers.

Why I asked regarding propane: a steel propane 30lb empty tank weight is 25lb when an aluminum 33.5 is 18lb, that means it is about 6lb lighter per cylinder, and you have an additional hour or two on the genny. Plus, a little bit easier to load/unload

Regarding 4x4 - currently, I have a Tundra 4x4, and I've used it two times to back the trailer to a raised grassy wet site. We are not offroaders, and sure we won't do it with a 42' FW trailer but sometimes here in BC, 4x4 helped me stay mobile when snowing, i.e. 3-4 days a year

I am not sure it is worth it; I believe good tires can help.

Also, I'll explain my idea about an additional fuel tank: our style of travel is usually following - we drive 300-500 miles, then disconnect and stay several days and explore all the neighbourhood. So having 50 gals more allows me never to go to a gas station with the rig.

Blessings,
    Peter and Irina,
    Coquitlam, BC, Canada

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, Folks, sorry for my English; it leaves much to be desired since it is my 3rd language (after Russian and Hebrew).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went with the dually for (1) added stability) and (2) I added a 90 gal aux tank with toolbox in the bed. So I really wanted the extra payload. Being out west, we sometimes do 10-12 hour travel days, and I like to stop when I want, not when the truck needs fuel.

I have replaced my 30 lb propane tanks with 40 lbs. It is a little more work to get them in, but I didn't have to change any of the plumbing. Only thing I needed to change was modify the straps. The tanks was supposed to be the same diameter, but they appear to be a little larger in circumference. One of the tanks clamps would close (tight fit) and one would not (luck of the draw in how long they were cut at the factory).
    Greg and Colleen Gates
    Albuquerque, NM
    2020 Solitude 344 GK
    2019 F350 Lariat Superduty DRW

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast