User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

29G won't tow without extra weight added

I have a new 29g, when I went to pick it up at the dealer I found out the tongue weight was 1840 lb empty, I'm using a weigh safe wd hitch but I also verified the weight at local scales. I went to home depot and purchased 1000 lbs of bagged sand to be able to drive the 1300 miles home, NOT an enjoyable drive, anything over 50-55 and the trailer starting swaying.
    The way it came from GD the only way I can currently use this is with my side x side in the back, the approximate weight of sxs is 1750 lbs. with the car loaded I am able to fill fresh water about 2/3 full and am right around 12200 lbs. with this set up there are no towing issues, 65-70 mph not a problem, no swaying at all
    It appears it is not possible to use this trailer with out weight added to the garage area, I called customer service twice in the last two days, but they haven't been much help,
    Is anyone else having this problem? I am towing with a one ton dually, I can't imagine using a srw with the sway issues I am having. I would like to be able to use the trailer without always hauling the sxs, thinking possibly adding a tank under the garage floor that i could fill when not hauling toys if needed, but why should I have to fix GD's poor engineering? at these prices?
    I appreciate and advise you can give.

Thank you

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Labs4Sale View Post
    I have a new 29g, when I went to pick it up at the dealer I found out the tongue weight was 1840 lb empty, I'm using a weigh safe wd hitch but I also verified the weight at local scales. I went to home depot and purchased 1000 lbs of bagged sand to be able to drive the 1300 miles home, NOT an enjoyable drive, anything over 50-55 and the trailer starting swaying.
    The way it came from GD the only way I can currently use this is with my side x side in the back, the approximate weight of sxs is 1750 lbs. with the car loaded I am able to fill fresh water about 2/3 full and am right around 12200 lbs. with this set up there are no towing issues, 65-70 mph not a problem, no swaying at all
    It appears it is not possible to use this trailer with out weight added to the garage area, I called customer service twice in the last two days, but they haven't been much help,
    Is anyone else having this problem? I am towing with a one ton dually, I can't imagine using a srw with the sway issues I am having. I would like to be able to use the trailer without always hauling the sxs, thinking possibly adding a tank under the garage floor that i could fill when not hauling toys if needed, but why should I have to fix GD's poor engineering? at these prices?
    I appreciate and advise you can give.

Thank you
    Labs4Sale,
    It may help to provide some additional information in order for other to provide potential solutions.
    1. What is the tow vehicle you are towing the 29g with?
    2. Not all GD dealers are equal when it comes to properly setting up a weight distribution hitch.
    3. Not all WD hitches are created equal
    3. You won't get much sympathy of being a victim here when I went to pick it up at the dealer I found out the tongue weight was 1840 lb empty but you will get solid insight and information to help you work toward a solution.

I'm not sure why this would surprise you, their advertised dry hitch weight is 1500#.

4. This is a great forum, lots of folks are willing to help and everyone here has gone through a learning curve. Don't get frustrated at the product as advertised.

If you can give us some additional information, I am sure others would be willing to help you with a solution.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is my point, the advertised is 1500# actual is 1840#

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tow vehicle is a F350 4wd DRW, Curt class V commercial receiver 2000/20,000, Weigh Safe wd hitch

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is my point, the advertised is 1500# actual is 1840#
    The website does say that is the average weight for a standard build. Also doesnt include options like a generator or batteries and propane tanks. For the most part the advertised weights are lower than actual.

Have you tried adjusting your WDH at all? Usually a heavy tongue weight is a good thing and the goal is between 12 and 15 percent of GVW.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The GVWR of the 29G is 12,000# according to the GD website. 15% for a tongue weight would be 1,800#. Sounds like the WD hitch may need some adjustment. Adding another 1,000# of sand would put the tongue weight at nearly 24%.

I would consider reaching out to weigh safe and talking to a tech and see if they can provide some assistance possibly making adjustments to the WD set up to help improve the towing
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to Weigh Safe with the dry weight of the trailer being 10200, the max tongue weight should be between 1020 and 1530 lbs before any adjusting

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adding another 1,000# of sand would put the tongue weight at nearly 24%.

Confused by this statement, adding weight in the garage reduces tongue weight.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to Weigh Safe with the dry weight of the trailer being 10200, the max tongue weight should be between 1020 and 1530 lbs before any adjusting
    Dry weight does not factor in to the current situation. Your real weight (12,200#) according to your first post would be the determining factor on any adjustments and what the weight rating of the WD bars are.

Is the trailer nose low or nose high?
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toy haulers tend to be very nose heavy when empty. It's the only way to give them any meanignful cargo capacity without having the load right over the axles.

That said, tail heavy tends to cause sway all things being correct. I think the hitch may not be set up right.
    2019 GD Momentum 397TH
    Considering a 395
    99 Ford F-250, 7.3, 6-speed.
    22 Ford F-450
    Former Fulltimers, now just using toy hauler to go to Motocross Races and Mountain Bike parks.
    Va Beach, VA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast