User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Solar

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, since there are multiple examples of OEM battery disconnects that work as their supposed to, I believe I will continue to believe you're mistaken.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is veering off subject and the OP question.
    FWIW, my battery disconnect doesn't do all load either. My gas sensor and other little parasitic draws would drain my battery in a week or 2. I installed a aftermarket disconnect at the battery that solved this and to just make the task quicker and a little easier as opposed to removing the battery cables.
    If you do a search on here for parasitic draw, you'll see that many have this issue. Maybe GD changed things in 2021 but for liability purposes I would doubt that.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Well, since there are multiple examples of OEM battery disconnects that work as their supposed to, I believe I will continue to believe you're mistaken.
    I have read many many posts on several RV forums over 20 years or so complaining about battery disconnects that don't.... And only a few that claim otherwise.

It's OK if you want to believe I am mistaken. It is a free country. I cannot force you to be right>
    Last edited by huntindog; 10-24-2021 at 04:27 AM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You posted: "The reason that all manufacturers do not install "real" battery diconnects on towables is that certain safety features if turned off, and an incident occured, would leave them open to huge liability claims.... If yours was actually installed by GD as you state..... It was a mistake".

But it's a pretty realistic thing that people complain about something that doesn't work like it should, but rarely mention when it does. So it only makes sense that people won't complain about a battery disconnect that works as it should. Might be why you hear a lot about ones that don't.

And of course you did specify "all manufacturers do not install "real" battery diconnects on towables". So it would appear that you're wrong in that respect. Like you say, "It is a free country. I cannot force you to be right"
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You posted: "The reason that all manufacturers do not install "real" battery diconnects on towables is that certain safety features if turned off, and an incident occured, would leave them open to huge liability claims.... If yours was actually installed by GD as you state..... It was a mistake".

But it's a pretty realistic thing that people complain about something that doesn't work like it should, but rarely mention when it does. So it only makes sense that people won't complain about a battery disconnect that works as it should. Might be why you hear a lot about ones that don't.

And of course you did specify "all manufacturers do not install "real" battery diconnects on towables". So it would appear that you're wrong in that respect. Like you say, "It is a free country. I cannot force you to be right"

Here is a copy and paste from the Momentum 5th wheel owners manual:

Battery Disconnect Switch
    The Battery Disconnect Switch (see photo) is located in the large,
    forward, pass-thru compartment. At times when auxiliary power
    will NOT be needed:
    • TURN the Battery Disconnect Switch to the OFF position
    and REMOVE key.
    • All 12-Volt safety items will remain operational.

You will find this on page 94 of your 2019 Momentum owners manual

I accept your apology.
    Last edited by huntindog; 10-23-2021 at 07:21 PM.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No apology forthcoming because I'm not wrong. What, exactly, are the 12-Volt safety items? As I mentioned before, the breakaway switch, and the Autolevel/hydraulic system is still available with the battery disconnect switch in the OFF position. There may be others that I'm not aware of, but nothing that causes a battery drain. Admitting you're mistaken is not a big deal, I do it all the time.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No apology forthcoming because I'm not wrong. What, exactly, are the 12-Volt safety items? As I mentioned before, the breakaway switch, and the Autolevel/hydraulic system is still available with the battery disconnect switch in the OFF position. There may be others that I'm not aware of, but nothing that causes a battery drain. Admitting you're mistaken is not a big deal, I do it all the time.
    Now that you have it in writing straight from GD on how it is supposed to work from the factory.....

Propane detector, CO detector, and sometimes smoke detectors. If your battery really shows no draw with the switch off, it might be a good idea to check if those safety items are working.
    The number one thing is to stay safe.

My exact title in Risk Management is that of Safety Coordinator.
    Last edited by huntindog; 10-24-2021 at 12:42 PM.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Now that you have it in writing straight from GD on how it is supposed to work from the factory.....

Propane detector, CO detector, and sometimes smoke detectors. If your battery really shows no draw with the switch off, it might be a good idea to check if those safety items are working.
    The number one thing is to stay safe.

My exact title in Risk Management is that of Safety Coordinator.
    And you know propane detector, CO detector, and sometimes smoke detectors are supposed to be running all the time, how? The short and sweet sentence from GD lists nothing.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And you know propane detector, CO detector, and sometimes smoke detectors are supposed to be running all the time, how? The short and sweet sentence from GD lists nothing.
    I listed smoke detectors as sometimes because they are often powered by disposable batteries. The others are usually hardwired

As for what GD meant by that.... The word "ALL" in the sentence covers it pretty well. Any safety device powered by the house battery will remain operational

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So any battery disconnect that actually works as described is defective? Hmm, on that note I think I shall leave the party. Just looks like there is a lot of ASSUMING going on, and you know what that means.
    Howard and Peggy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast