User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Just as a measure of how quickly and how much prices have increased, the 7K installation (with disc brakes, etc.) on our Solitude performed in January, 2020, was $6,640.10 including tax (with a 10% "winter discount"). The timing was fortuitous... we moved into our new Solitude the week before everything started shutting down for the pandemic.

Rob
    The tandem 7K IS and disc brakes back in October was quoted at $7,949.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IS is great on a car for cornering and road bumps. What does IS do for a trailer? I won't be back there to appreciate any smoothness over bumps and I don't take corners fast with a trailer. So for almost $9k, what am I missing here?
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcolour View Post
    The tandem 7K IS and disc brakes back in October was quoted at $7,949.
    That's a 16.5% increase in 20 months...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    IS is great on a car for cornering and road bumps. What does IS do for a trailer? I won't be back there to appreciate any smoothness over bumps and I don't take corners fast with a trailer. So for almost $9k, what am I missing here?
    The IS is 1) fully alignable (think tire wear), 2) has twice the travel, 3) is dampened (shocks on all four corners), and 4) a lot easier on the coach. We've noticed that the trailer tracks straighter and is more stable in high winds (actual comparison of the two suspension systems on our Reflection 337). For the heavier rigs - especially for full-timers - it's worth it.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The IS is 1) fully alignable (think tire wear), 2) has twice the travel, 3) is dampened (shocks on all four corners), and 4) a lot easier on the coach. We've noticed that the trailer tracks straighter and is more stable in high winds (actual comparison of the two suspension systems on our Reflection 337). For the heavier rigs - especially for full-timers - it's worth it.

Rob
    The dampening is truly outrageous! One of the aftermarket customers used a portable, multi-channel seismograph to record the motion of the coach on the factory suspension and then with the IS installed on the same span of road. It was darn impressive! Unless Dexter's air setup gets into the 5er world, when we upgrade years down the road it'll be IS because we will either be even longer spanned or full-time. In the meantime, the Solitude is good with all the suspension upgrades, especially the Roadmaster shocks, at a more wallet-friendly, DIY price point. Lol
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcolour View Post
    Wish they told me they were planning to do that when I tried. Already scheduled the disc brake and axle upgrade with Performance Trailer Braking. They are coming to me in mid-April so works good. Would have liked the IS but not a show stopper.
    You won't be disappointed!! I've used Performance Trailer twice and was completely satisfied.
    Russ & Bonnie Schurig
    Land O Lakes, FL
    2021 Grand Design S-Class 3540GK-R

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rob
    As much as I agree on the positive attributes, there are some downsides.
    So I will play Devils advocate; First is that it is an aftermarket install, which means that the coroplast and insulation has to be removed (I watched their video) and reinstalled. Thr problem is that when the coroplast and insulation is originally installed, the frame is upsidedown, and gravity is assisting in the placement. It is impossible to reinstall the insulation properly once the trailer is already built. It is hard enough to do the coroplast. The isulation will just keep falling out of posistion. On my Momentum and the TT I had before, I just removed all of that, and replaced it with rigid insulation board. Which is custom sized to be a press fit. I did not plan on doing the Momentum, until I had to remove the underbelly for another reason.
    That said, unless one plans on redoing the insulation, just know that it will be compromised if it is reinstalled. Of course you will not be able to see it once the coroplast is covering it.
    But that said, it was not the reason I chose not to go with the Mor Ryde IS.
    That was the reduced ground clearance. The IS hangs down really low and is pretty big. Basically the ground clearance is the hieght of the tires sidewalls. There are some you tube videos where they mounted a camera under the trailer to show how it worked. That is when I realized how little GC there was.
    That will not be an issue for those that never go on dirt roads. But for us, that is 99% of our trips. Add some rain and one will get stuck in a pretty shallow mud puddle.
    So I chose to get the factory 8K axles with disk brakes instead for about the same money. I could fix the Mor Ryde insulation issue, but not the ground clearance issue. That was the deal breaker for us.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    ... it was not the reason I chose not to go with the Mor Ryde IS.
    That was the reduced ground clearance. The IS hangs down really low and is pretty big. Basically the ground clearance is the hieght of the tires sidewalls. There are some you tube videos where they mounted a camera under the trailer to show how it worked. That is when I realized how little GC there was.
    Is this the low ground clearance you're referring to? (The low part across in front of the suspension is the floor of the drop-frame on the Solitude). There's actually more ground clearance in the center than with the OEM solid axles. If you have a boulder big enough to hit the spring mounts on the IS that close to the inside of the wheel(s), you'd have trouble with most any standard vehicle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2144 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	38301

As for insulation, MORryde did a good job with ours and we wintered in ice and snow with single digits last year without any issues at all.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MORryde states that the ground clearance is equal or better than your standard axle and you get the height fitted to your rig. Every install that was happening at MORryde when I toured had nothing on the subcarriage lower than the spindle centerline. Same noted when I went to the RV Factory and the only person without COVID-19 was the production manager who gave a personal half-day tour of every station and coach being built.

As for the insulation, it's nothing special when done on the line. The batting is often inches apart even though it can literally be made as one continuous piece. My underbelly has been dropped 4x now after production between the Ground Control system problems and the major slide assembly repair. The SRT guys are most conscientious with it and try to align the batting and use some temporary supports to prop it up without sag and work it into the original mounting holes. Without question, if I built it.. interestingly, if I supplied exactly what I wanted to the RV Factory, they would build a Luxe with it.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Second Chance;408364]Is this the low ground clearance you're referring to? (The low part across in front of the suspension is the floor of the drop-frame on the Solitude). There's actually more ground clearance in the center than with the OEM solid axles. If you have a boulder big enough to hit the spring mounts on the IS that close to the inside of the wheel(s), you'd have trouble with most any standard vehicle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2144 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	38301

As for insulation, MORryde did a good job with ours and we wintered in ice and snow with single digits last year without any issues at all.
    That pic is not very good. I cannot make out what is what... Doesn't matter to me though As I have already watched the video, so I know what is there... And you are right that there is more clearance in the middle... But that is not real important as I do not rock crawl my RVs.... But as I said earlier, muddy roads are the issue. And the lowest hanging part of the rig is what will get one stuck.... And that is the Mor Ryde IS This is a real concern for us as we use our RVs for activities that have set locations and fixed dates, that cannot change, such as hunting. We may go down a dry dirt road to camp only to find it a muddy mess two weeks later when it is time to leave. In short, our RV usage is far different than most. We do not go somewhwere just to sit around a campfire and roast marshmellows... In fact have not had a fire in over 25 years. We just don't have time for it... And getting stuck is just another waste of good hunting time.

And i am happy that you think your insulation is good,,,,, But you have nothing to compare it to

Having spent hundreds of hours on a creeper under RVs working in the underbelly.... I know what can and can't be done. Sure one can get the insulation stuffed in there and the coroplast covering it up. But it will never be as good as it was originally. Gravity is not your friend when attempting this. I will not even attempt it as it is IMO a HAZMAT situation with the fibers.

On edit: Link to the video showing before and after IS install
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNTklMLgCCA
    Last edited by huntindog; 12-30-2021 at 07:15 AM.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    MORryde states that the ground clearance is equal or better than your standard axle and you get the height fitted to your rig. Every install that was happening at MORryde when I toured had nothing on the subcarriage lower than the spindle centerline.
    Watch the video. It speaks for itself.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNTklMLgCCA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast