User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    We were new to towing a 5er awhile back, had to research and learn all the ins and outs, just like you are going through.
    Hitch- Lots of different opinions here and personal preference. In the beginning our RV had the standard Lippert pin box and our Ram has the puck system. As luck or my good research would have it, I found a used 1 year old companion hitch that fits the Ram bed pucks for half of what they sell for new. $500 instead of $1000. And it was the right weight rating that could easily handle any 5er we had on our list. That made our hitch decision for us. Initial towing we had some chucking and the MORryde pin box dampens that so since I had good luck finding a good used hitch I looked for a good used MORryde pin box. Low and behold I found one on Craig's List I guy was selling from his Jayco, fit the Solitude perfectly and again for half the cost of a new one. Hitch problem solved.

Now on to your other questions, concerns. Bed coverings - our bed is coated as well but there are things we keep in the bed when not towing that we want to keep dry, or from blowing out of the bed going down the road, some people like to cover their bed when not towing, others don't care. We carry an extra 20# LP tank for our campfire bowl and to use in emergencies to connect to the RV to keep the furnace running, (dont' ask - freak Texas winter storm) and our generator with cable locked to the bed is also in the truck bed. We use the cover to keep these things out of sight and to keep the sun and heat off anything we have in the bed not towing. Thats just our preference.

Aux fuel tank - that is a decision for the individual owners and how they like to travel. Our Ram has an OEM 32 gallon fuel tank, that's comparative small. I also wanted a bed tool box. I looked at the fuel tank tool box combos and for me I didn't like them, too small of a tool box in exchange for the added tank. Then to we did research replacing the OEM fuel tank for a bigger one. Both options were way over $1000 for a good transfer flow aux diesel tank or replacing the OEM tank. The wife and I decided that for our typical travel towing, we like to stop often, so fueling up gives us that chance. We can go 250-275 miles with still a good reserve left in the tank. Once and only once did we push it and go a little over 300 miles before refueling. Now traveling this way, filling up often we don't have the option of selecting lower cost diesel along our route. Right now that could be a concern since diesel is getting in the high price category. This can also get you across states with high fuel taxes. There is no correct answer here, its just how each individual owner likes to travel.

With our bed tool box there is still plenty of room between the tool box and hitch for the aux 20# propane tank and generator or we just keep the generator at the end of the bed so its easier to get out. I'm 66 years old and when unhitched I can use the rear step bumper to get up in the bed if i need to get something out of the tool box. Or when hitched, if needs be I have a two step platform from Harbor Freight that i use to access the tool box from either side. The platform also allows this short guy to hitch up and lock the latch into the hitch.

For your particular concern about a bed tool box, maybe you can hold off until after you purchase your rig and hitch, then see how much room you have and by then maybe have a better handle on what you need, what can fit, and how you would like to travel.
    Many thanks for the lengthy response - time is precious.
    Where do I start? (Caveat, I'm less than a newbie)
    Okay, the reason I had not considered a bed cover, even though I would want one, was simply because I assumed the fiver (my new favorite word) hitch would stick up past the side rails. I'm not sure why I automatically assumed that, but I did, and therefore a cover would be a pain. Remove the hitch when you want to use the cover, etc.
    If that's not the case then a cover is in order. I'm making another assumption. If you have a crossover toolbox there are covers to accommodate that setup.

Buying a hitch - the right hitch - is a whole different discussion for me. Best not too get into it here.

Here is how green I am with my truck. I just looked at the sticker - the private seller kept it - and apparently right under where it says '5th Wheel / Gooseneck towing prep group, for $695 I have a deployable bed step. Pausing here to go see.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DA27270A-44B9-4211-8F4F-AF01C629C8A8.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	898.5 KB 
ID:	37409
    Doh! ����

Inn regards to the two step platform you use I'm assuming it's a simple fold up that you store in the bed, not something that is made specifically for getting at the toolbox from the sides. I'm only allowed in Harbor Freight when accompanied by a budget conscious adult.

As far as an auxiliary fuel tank, my 3500 has a 32 gallon factory tank, so I don't think I need one. I also saw that my dully is only rated for 30,000 lbs. Towing, not the 35,000 I thought. Not crying over that.

What I still can't get a solid answer to is if I should NOT get a crossover toolbox even though I have a long bed. Some are saying is okay and some not. Driving me nuts because I want to purchase, install, and start using.

Again, many thanks.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KausalityKid View Post
    I like this one that has an optional ladder, or two.
    Attachment 37395
    Attachment 37396
    https://decked.com/products/decked-tool-box-ram

But it's a bit on the high side price wise. It would allow access even with RV hooked up.

That too is an "above the rail" toolbox and in my opinion would stick up way too far. Having something stick up 5¾" above the bed rails is just too risky.

Name:	Screenshot_20211026-060930_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	37427

You don't want a below the rail toolbox but instead look for a flush mount toolbox similar to this one below.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-60...0000/203783291
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That makes sense, but others say with a long bed I shouldn't have to worry. Did you encounter those problems with a long bed.
    I personally didn't but have a friend that did. His was also a long bed truck with a toolbox that stuck above the bed by 5"... his 5th wheel was 7¼" above his side rails when hooked up LEVEL, level being the key word here. You're only level when you are parked on a flat level surface, very seldom while driving straight and never when turning corners.
    Anyway he was on a route that got detoured and had to make a sharp turn that was slightly down hill. The front of the 5er dipped (as they ALL do) and caught the lid of his toolbox riping it off the hinge not only damaging the toolbox but busting up the front fiberglass corner of his 5er AND forcing the toolbox lid into his rear slider truck window blowing out the glass into the truck interior.
    NONE of this would have happened if the toolbox was flush mount.

Here's the way you might want to approach this . If you're planing on a tonneau cover I would get that first and get the type that rolls up and are held to the mounting rails with Velcro. The mounting rails themselves will extend a few inches into the bed of the truck on each side limiting your tool box width by several inches. Once you have the tonneau cover installed you'll have a better idea of what size toolbox will fit your width, height and depth. When the cover is rolled up tight it will stick into your bed about 6" so your toolbox will have to be mounted far enough off of the front wall of the truck bed to allow for it to fully open. You will still have plenty of room for your hitch which won't stick up above your bedrails.
    Last edited by IBEW Sparky; 10-26-2021 at 05:11 AM.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks for the lengthy response - time is precious.
    Where do I start? (Caveat, I'm less than a newbie)
    Okay, the reason I had not considered a bed cover, even though I would want one, was simply because I assumed the fiver (my new favorite word) hitch would stick up past the side rails. I'm not sure why I automatically assumed that, but I did, and therefore a cover would be a pain. Remove the hitch when you want to use the cover, etc.
    If that's not the case then a cover is in order. I'm making another assumption. If you have a crossover toolbox there are covers to accommodate that setup.

Buying a hitch - the right hitch - is a whole different discussion for me. Best not too get into it here.

Here is how green I am with my truck. I just looked at the sticker - the private seller kept it - and apparently right under where it says '5th Wheel / Gooseneck towing prep group, for $695 I have a deployable bed step. Pausing here to go see.

Name:	DA27270A-44B9-4211-8F4F-AF01C629C8A8.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	898.5 KB 
ID:	37409
    Doh! ����

Inn regards to the two step platform you use I'm assuming it's a simple fold up that you store in the bed, not something that is made specifically for getting at the toolbox from the sides. I'm only allowed in Harbor Freight when accompanied by a budget conscious adult.

As far as an auxiliary fuel tank, my 3500 has a 32 gallon factory tank, so I don't think I need one. I also saw that my dully is only rated for 30,000 lbs. Towing, not the 35,000 I thought. Not crying over that.

What I still can't get a solid answer to is if I should NOT get a crossover toolbox even though I have a long bed. Some are saying is okay and some not. Driving me nuts because I want to purchase, install, and start using.

Again, many thanks.
    This is the step platform I use, the legs fold up and it stores flat in the storage compartment. There is also a smaller one. The step platform is also useful for washing the nose of the RV with my extended pole brush.
    When we bought our truck I was concerned more with the payload rating than the max tow rating. With any truck towing a 5th wheel you will run out of payload long before you run out of max tow capability.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/40-in-...orm-56203.html
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    349 MOMENTUM HERE. I have a 2017 f350 dually. I use the Goosebox hitch. I did but a longer ball to get more clearance between the trailer and the bed rails. I have a big tool box bed rail mounted, it sits 8" tall and is 26" deep.
    I have had is get a little close several times, but, when I thought it may bump the trailer I would get out and find out I had 4-6" of clearance still.

I prefer this type of tool box so I can haul 8' lumber and also have room to keep my spare under the box. I had a box once that sat on the bed and hated losing 2' of bed.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it seems to me that there is no general consensus. I get it, everyone has had different experiences. I think I'm going to try and find a crossover with as little height above the side rails as possible, and that doesn't go all the way to the bed so I can still put an 8' piece of lumbar in it. Thanks

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I look I see that I need to consider if it is made/fit my 2019 RAM 3500 long bed.
    Also, when I read low profile here I assumed that meant below the rails. I'm seeing now that there are 'low profile' crossover boxes. These don't stick as far above the rails. This should do.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123