Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reflection 315 RLTS brakes and seals repack/replace

I have purchased a 2021 315 RLTS back in May and was wondering about maintenance on the bearings, races, and seals. I have only put around 1,000 miles on it but normally do a fall time maintenance when winterizing it for storage. I have purchased Timken bearings and races to replace what it came with from the factory but wonder if this would be somewhat overkill if they look okay. I will inspect and and repack the bearings and replace the seals no matter if replacing the bearings or not. I in the past have always repacked the bearings by hand but I have now bought a bearing packer so was wondering when using the packer if it pushing the old grease out as the new is going in would that be good enough or should I clean the bearings first. I am sure that I will be using a different type of grease than what is in these now. Have in the past always used the Lucas Red & Tacky. Tia

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
    I have purchased a 2021 315 RLTS back in May and was wondering about maintenance on the bearings, races, and seals. I have only put around 1,000 miles on it but normally do a fall time maintenance when winterizing it for storage. I have purchased Timken bearings and races to replace what it came with from the factory but wonder if this would be somewhat overkill if they look okay. I will inspect and and repack the bearings and replace the seals no matter if replacing the bearings or not. I in the past have always repacked the bearings by hand but I have now bought a bearing packer so was wondering when using the packer if it pushing the old grease out as the new is going in would that be good enough or should I clean the bearings first. I am sure that I will be using a different type of grease than what is in these now. Have in the past always used the Lucas Red & Tacky. Tia
    IMHO if the bearings that are in there now look good after you have cleaned them I think it is overkill to replace all the bearings and races. I have only every replaced bearings and races when they are showing signs of wear. I would also clean them all first so you can properly inspect them before repacking even with a bearing packer. Also as long as you are using a lithium complex grease like Lucas Red & Tacky it will be compatible with what came from the factory.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree here. Clean and inspect first. Keep your hearings and races for when they will be needed. I would also add that 1k mikes in my opinion is maybe too soon to do an inspection/cleaning. For me 3k is a nice starting point.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gregory, if you have EZ lube axles I would certainly put a few squirts of grease in the bearings. Lippert goes light when assembling. I think the other guys are correct, 1K miles is way to soon to inspect but I like you thought process on replacing with a higher quality bearing than OEM which are typically chinese and Timkin fits the bill although some are now made in china. I repack yearly regardless of mileage since it also gives me a chance to inspect brakes and suspension. As far as bearing grease I use Redline synthetic grease which is the GL2 stuff, what I like is it has a drop point of about 700 degrees. Have used it for the past 8 years and zero bearing problems. Safe travels!
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all and am just planning on inspecting and repacking when I winterize the trailer. Safe travels...