User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pull may batteries when closing the rig for the winter. They sit on trickle chargers in our house garage. YMMV
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodak86 View Post
    I don't have the dog bones to go from50 AMP to 120
    Second Rookie Mistake, LOL!
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    BTW - especially in cold/very cold weather climates, there is absolutely no need to lug batteries indoors. They like it cold!
    Never heard of a battery that likes it cold. Any battery I have forgotten in the rv or boat over winter has been ruined. Regular and AGM.
    But, having an open mind, what brand batteries do you use?

I live about a 7 hour drive north of White Bear Lake.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of differing opinions here. I've read that it's not recommended to operate the jacks directly off the converter. A battery acts as a buffer and prevents the converter from being hit with a large load. That makes sense to me. Personally, I would reinstall the batteries and put them on a a maintainer.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good one ibew lol
    To old to work, to young to retire
    2019 Momentum 376th
    2018 F350 Lariat 6.7 diesel
    2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic Low.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Never heard of a battery that likes it cold. Any battery I have forgotten in the rv or boat over winter has been ruined. Regular and AGM.

Batteries when cold do not have near the capacity they do when warmer. So they will go dead sooner when in use. As we know from our cars, much sooner if it is really cold outside. In this instance, we are talking about disconnected storage - no use, in which case colder is better.

Currently a grp 27 deep cycle/starting (moderate price from Batteries Plus) in the boat - 5 yrs. 2 grp 31 AGM (Cabela's) for trolling, this is their 11th year. 2 Costco 6v in the RV, year number 4. The old cheap grp 27 that came with the RV, also year 4. That's the one that went a whole year being stored. I generally think about replacing after 5-6 years. But those AGM's just keep working, and even if they have lost some capacity over time, so far they still supply more than I need for a day of fishing.....

The keys: 1. Make sure they are not low on electrolyte (if not sealed). 2. Make sure they are fully charged. 3. Make sure they are fully disconnected.
    Per the following chart, even with temps averaging 50F all winter, being stored for 9 months is no issue. Just charge them up again before first use in the spring.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lead acid discharge.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	37398
    Last edited by sande005; 10-24-2021 at 09:16 PM.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great info! Thank you for the feedback

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

It’s vital that the batteries are fully charged and disconnected from any potential power drain. Then the cold won’t hurt anything. It’s often minus 35-40 where I live.
    2020 Momentum 25G
    2011 RAM 2500 4x4 Megacab 6.7 Diesel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    I'd give it a try. I could be wrong but I have a feeling that it might work. What do you have to loose?

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    I'm probably too late with this, but I'm pretty sure that the wiring through the plug on the truck is only 30 amps. There is a reason the hydraulic pump has an 80 amp circuit breaker...

Therefore, what you have to lose is the time locate and replace the blown fuse in your truck!
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jacks

Quote Originally Posted by Kodak86 View Post
    I finished winterizing and generator maintenance. This is my first time doing any of these tasks of which I am pretty proud of if I do say so myself. I plan on putting the cover on tomorrow with the help of about a half a dozen friends, I am no fan of ladders. I have a spot in my yard where I plan on parking my camper for the winter, right now it is in my driveway. So here is where I screwed up and I can only laugh at myself, I am finding out how dumb a camper can make you. I have two Marine batteries according to instructions I should remove them and put them on a trickle charge in an area that they wont freeze. Winters can get pretty cold in New England, So I removed them and put them on my bench on a charge. I no sooner walked to my truck to hook up I realized I don't have any power to work the jacks. DUH .
    Can I use my 7 way plug to operate the jacks?
    Also how the heck do you put the TV antenna down ?
    Just plug RV into shore power, you will be able to run your jacks up and down

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast