User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Truck ride quality with airbags vs. timbren helper springs

Good evening to everyone -

I have searched for a while now and read a lot of threads dealing with airbags, etc.

My question is this…
    I do not expect to have a posh ride quality towing my 381M, but if I wanted the best ride quality in the truck would that be achieved with airbags? I currently have Bilstein 4600’s on the truck and Timbren helper springs. I am not over weight and on normal roads ride is great. I travel I-95 N & S on the east coast alot from NC to FL. The road is horrible and the bridge transitions are like sinkholes…. Just wondering what you all could tell me before i decide to either buy some airbags or not.

Thanks in advance.
    2023 Momentum 397TH w/Gen3 Goosebox
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 F-450 Limited PowerStroke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run bags in my Franken Truck so I get a decent ride empty (stock 250/SRW350 spring pack) but put 100 psi in them when towing my 397TH)

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    2019 GD Momentum 397TH
    Considering a 395
    99 Ford F-250, 7.3, 6-speed.
    22 Ford F-450
    Former Fulltimers, now just using toy hauler to go to Motocross Races and Mountain Bike parks.
    Va Beach, VA

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run air bags on my F150 along with a rear anti-sway bar. Made a big difference when towing. If you decide to go the airbag route, ensure you go with the dual path setup. Helps with the weight equalization between the two.

As for ride, got more stiffness out of the addition of 10 ply tires than I did out of keeping 5 lbs for non-towing drives.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have any experience with air bags, but I installed Timbrens on my previous truck. Since they don't engage when not towing, they didn't affect that ride at all. They actually improved the ride with 3,000 lbs. pin weight on the rear axle and stopped the bottoming-out feeling on those bad transitions you mention (yes - we've done a lot of towing on I-95 between Augusta, GA, and Aberdeen, MD, which includes the beltways around DC and Baltimore).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, I started out with Timbrens and switched over to air bags with jounces inside for those possible "deflation' moments that might happen (took measures to ensure it would have to be a failed bag.. stainless lines, and any plastic air lines from the pump covered with stainless braided hose to protect from road debri.

The ride when towing is better in my oppinion with the bags. seemed like I was always riding on the axle with the Timbrens and could feel every bad piece of highway. The air bags might make you "float" more, but they dont typically allow for that axle bump when hitting unexpected highway holes.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msutoad View Post

I have searched for a while now and read a lot of threads dealing with airbags, etc.

My question is this…
    I do not expect to have a posh ride quality towing my 381M, but if I wanted the best ride quality in the truck would that be achieved with airbags? I currently have Bilstein 4600’s on the truck and Timbren helper springs. I am not over weight and on normal roads ride is great. I travel I-95 N & S on the east coast alot from NC to FL. The road is horrible and the bridge transitions are like sinkholes…. Just wondering what you all could tell me before i decide to either buy some airbags or not.

Thanks in advance.
    I have the Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags and a rear stabilizer on my truck and I really like the setup. I very seldom adjust the air pressure because my truck is primarily used for towing my rig so it can be a little bit stiff when my 5er isn't on the truck. I didn't bother with an air compressor or any fancy equalizing valves but I did locate the Schrader valves in the most convenient place to check the air pressure in both bags from one location. Keeping it simple is sometimes the best solution.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20211024-043516_Photos.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	37380
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had the Timbrens, but this is my second truck with the Airlift brand air bags on it and to me, the air bags are the way to go. I did a modified airline hookup on mine. I can fill the bags individually, or fill both at the same time. All it takes is a couple more "T" fittings and an air valve. Here is a pic of how I did mine.

I the valve is closed, you air up the bags individually (mostly for an off center load). If the valve is open, you can use either one of the fill ports and the bags inflate equally. The valve is located right above the license plate of the truck and is manually operated. It takes about two seconds to change it from open to close or vice versa.

2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm another air bag user. I have them more for work when the bed has additional weight in it. Been a "Bagger" for years so I've had them when towing our other RV and several different boats. They help reduce the "bounce" that you get on lousy roads. I also keep it simple. Fill valves are on each side of the license plate and I air up with my battery powered Makita pump.

Good luck.
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msutoad View Post

My question is this…

Thanks in advance.
    What goosebox do you have? I'm only asking because I am considering a long bed truck so I get a few more pounds of payload capacity and can ditch my auto-slider (and its weight).

On the airbag question.....
    I have Rancho 9000s and set them on the firmest setting when towing. I have Air Lift bags.

Here are my thoughts after towing thousands of miles.....
    With air in the bags it seems there is more truck bounce than without air in the bags. The amount of the bounce in the truck varies based on road conditions and the amount of air in the bags. On wavy roads (frost heaves, humps/dips) I run with a low air pressure and sometimes no air at all (well.. the 5lbs lower limit).

As for bumps like bridge transitions the air bags do a very nice job and keeping everything comfortable.

I run with 15 to 60 lbs of air depending on road conditions. But I have to emphasize ==> with bad roads there doesn't seem to be any relief at any pressure.

I would install them again just to have some flexibility for ride comfort as they do help in some situations. But I have come to the conclusion that, for the most part, there are no good roads left, only portions of roads that are good. FL and GA seem to have the best roads.

If you are just trying to get a better ride in the Carolinas I don't think using air bags will help much. I so look forward to getting into GA after driving in N or S Carolina.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    What goosebox do you have? I'm only asking because I am considering a long bed truck so I get a few more pounds of payload capacity and can ditch my auto-slider (and its weight).

On the airbag question.....
    I have Rancho 9000s and set them on the firmest setting when towing. I have Air Lift bags.

Here are my thoughts after towing thousands of miles.....
    With air in the bags it seems there is more truck bounce than without air in the bags. The amount of the bounce in the truck varies based on road conditions and the amount of air in the bags. On wavy roads (frost heaves, humps/dips) I run with a low air pressure and sometimes no air at all (well.. the 5lbs lower limit).

As for bumps like bridge transitions the air bags do a very nice job and keeping everything comfortable.

I run with 15 to 60 lbs of air depending on road conditions. But I have to emphasize ==> with bad roads there doesn't seem to be any relief at any pressure.

I would install them again just to have some flexibility for ride comfort as they do help in some situations. But I have come to the conclusion that, for the most part, there are no good roads left, only portions of roads that are good. FL and GA seem to have the best roads.

If you are just trying to get a better ride in the Carolinas I don't think using air bags will help much. I so look forward to getting into GA after driving in N or S Carolina.

I have the 20K Goosebox, not because I needed all 20K, but because I didnt want to push the 16K to the limit. Because I also pull a 40’ Loving Quarters horse trailer (It is Gooseneck), I didnt want to change hitching types…. The sheer weight of the GMC 5th wheel hitch is almost 200 pounds, and for me to move it easily would mean I had to dismantle it each time, which was not in the cards if it didn’t have to be.
    I pulled a 42 foot Jayco with the 5th wheel hitch at almost the same weight as my TH, and nothing fancy of the Pinbox on the Jayco. After 400 miles I was beat to death on the chucking etc. So when I got the Goosebox on my TH, it made a huge difference. I drive a short bed truck so I cant jack knife it 90degrees, but I don’t go places that needs that level of capability, so I am good with it. I did use a GoPro at one point to capture the shocks in action on the goosebox to see just how much was it absorbing, and I will tell you it was active for 600 miles. I made a good difference with my setup and allowed me to keep my bed useable easily too. Let me know if you have other questions, I will try and answer them for you.
    Jason
    2023 Momentum 397TH w/Gen3 Goosebox
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 F-450 Limited PowerStroke

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast