User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting ready to order... Which options?

I was going to post this in a model-specific forum, but this is more of a Grand Design overall question.

We are waiting on the build sheets for the Momentum 351MS-R to be released. Once it is, we plan on placing an order.

What options would you order on a new build? Have you ordered any that you wish you didn't? Is there anything you would change?

Thanks

-B
    Fulltime RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon JKU - Harley FLTRU
    2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS
    Also considering a Polaris General XP 1000 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    8,000 lb. axles are a must. You can go over your GVWR pretty quickly with the 7,000 lb. axles.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    8,000 lb. axles are a must. You can go over your GVWR pretty quickly with the 7,000 lb. axles.
    I totally agree. I have a build sheet for the 351M (not the 351MS). When I selected options on it, the only option I did not select was the patio chairs.

I am wondering if any of them are a waste of money. Should any of them not be ordered and replaced with aftermarket. For example, the Solar. I plan on adding a lot of solar (in the future.) Should I use the optional factory-installed solar for a couple of years or is it a complete waste of money?

-B
    Fulltime RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon JKU - Harley FLTRU
    2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS
    Also considering a Polaris General XP 1000 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd get disc brakes if it was offered. When we ordered our 399 we did 3 season garage door, king bed, 3rd AC, generator and dual pane windows. No regrets on any of those options.

If you arent cold weather camping, I dont know if you really need dual pane windows, although it helps lower outside noise slightly.

We didnt boondock much, but the generator was great to have when the campground lost power and to run while driving to keep the AC on. It's nice to arrive somewhere and the RV is already cooled off.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and I'd get the slide toppers if the price was reasonable. We've had them before and will have them on our present trailer when I get the chance to install them.

JMO, but if you plan on getting solar anyway, I'd do a lot of price checking. From what I've read the OEM solar supplied by GD is not the best for the price.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heat pump is a nice cheap option.....save on propane when plugged in.
    2019 Solitude 372WB FBP loaded
    2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 FX4 Long Bed Rapid Red
    1970 Plymouth Roadrunner
    1968 Dodge Charger

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post
    I totally agree. I have a build sheet for the 351M (not the 351MS). When I selected options on it, the only option I did not select was the patio chairs.

I am wondering if any of them are a waste of money. Should any of them not be ordered and replaced with aftermarket. For example, the Solar. I plan on adding a lot of solar (in the future.) Should I use the optional factory-installed solar for a couple of years or is it a complete waste of money?

-B
    I have the factory solar. After an attempt to add to that system, I threw in the towel. It is pretty much not expandable.
    So I added a complete new system. I use both systems at once, for a total of 1380 watts. It works great.

In anawer to your question, is it a waste of money.... That depends. It is expensive for what you get, but if you need it now, and are OK with it not being expandable,,, It will work until you can add more in another system
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heat pump for sure if you're going to do any cool/cold weather camping at all. I wish I had dual pane windows, I do a lot of winter camping and it would be really nice to have them.

The one option I paid for and wish I hadn't, the generator. Most people do fine with the factory generator, so take this with a grain of salt, but I wish instead of buying the ~5K option I'd saved the money and bought an EFI generator instead. It's about the same price, and losing the carb solves a lot of potential problems.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pricing has been out for awhile. I have 6 retail sold 351MS models on order already.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mom M.pdf  
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Pricing has been out for awhile. I have 6 retail sold 351MS models on order already.
    I contacted a few dealers and Grand Design inside sales, they all had the same response.... the build sheet is not out yet. But here it is in black and white. I'm glad someone is on top of it.

Thanks for posting that.

-B

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast