Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loss of Use on Insurance Claim

This could be so much longer of a post....mechanic in Boston set my trailer on fire while repairing a broken leaf spring (grinding the shackle off). Said "We fixed everything" and sent us on our way. Fresh water tank is melted, wires are melted, hole burned through floor under oven. So now I am dealing with his insurance.

Has anyone been successful in getting a loss of use payment when you had a claim on your trailer to another party? I get if I hit something my insurance won't pay for it but this is clearly their fault. I will be without my trailer for at least 5 months after all said and done.

Thanks for your help!
    Mike in Seattle
    Family of 4, kids aged 16 and 13 and 2 Doodles.
    2019 Ram 3500 HO, 2018 Momentum 354M

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeInSeattle View Post
    This could be so much longer of a post....mechanic in Boston set my trailer on fire while repairing a broken leaf spring (grinding the shackle off). Said "We fixed everything" and sent us on our way. Fresh water tank is melted, wires are melted, hole burned through floor under oven. So now I am dealing with his insurance.

Has anyone been successful in getting a loss of use payment when you had a claim on your trailer to another party? I get if I hit something my insurance won't pay for it but this is clearly their fault. I will be without my trailer for at least 5 months after all said and done.

Thanks for your help!
    Why 5 months?

Doesn’t sound like that big of a deal

Take a settlement from the business and fix it yourself in a few days

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, drop the coroplast R&R the tank, figure out GD wiring, staple a patch over the hole, put back up the coroplast. All in a Seattle winter on weekends
    I think I'd wait the 5 months...but then I'm old.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did they fix all this stuff before they sent you on your way? Surely you didn't leave before everything was back to good as new.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Did they fix all this stuff before they sent you on your way? Surely you didn't leave before everything was back to good as new.
    Yes we did leave without it being fixed. We were told it was a minor fire, with the belly pan all the damage was hidden until I pulled it. Unfortunately this was 8 hours away in the Poconos. As for repairing it myself that isn't in the cards. Don't have the time, mechanical aptitude, or space to do it as the trailer is stored in a yard.

I appreciate the advice and replies, but I go back to my original question: has anyone been successful in getting loss of use from an insurance company when your trailer was damaged by another party?
    Mike in Seattle

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd guess the insurance company will deny any "loss of use". That is a very hard thing to put a value on. Perhaps if you had to forfeit deposits for reservations and other direct losses, they might (grudgingly) pay something. For that kind of claim, you're moving into lawyer territory, which you might be, anyway.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    I'd guess the insurance company will deny any "loss of use". That is a very hard thing to put a value on. Perhaps if you had to forfeit deposits for reservations and other direct losses, they might (grudgingly) pay something. For that kind of claim, you're moving into lawyer territory, which you might be, anyway.
    This is good point. If you can prove reservations etc you would have a claim to have the insurance co provide you with another unit to use. Even on a motor vehicle it's tough. At best they may give a rental that is a downgrade and usually only for a limited time. But it's worth a try so shoot for the moon!
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 10-24-2021 at 05:46 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    This is good point. If you can prove reservations etc you would have a claim to have the insurance co provide you with another unit to use. Even on a motor vehicle it's tough. At best they may give a rental that is a downgrade and usually only for a limited time. But it's worth a try so shoot for the moon!
    Just went through similar with a brand new car that was totaled. Given the current snafu's, getting a replacement looked to be more than 7-10 months. Insurance would only cover 5 days of rental.....perhaps I could have pushed for 10, or even 20...but that would still be a drop in the bucket.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    repairing a broken leaf spring (grinding the shackle off)
    I apologize for departing from your original question, but I'm curious as to why the mechanic had to grind the shackle off. What happened to the bolts?
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    I apologize for departing from your original question, but I'm curious as to why the mechanic had to grind the shackle off. What happened to the bolts?
    One shackle was completely broke off, other one was elongated.
    Mike in Seattle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast