User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No GFI outlet power when only running through inverter and battery, need help

I have a 2020 Solitude 2930RL-R and just now starting to go into the dry camping mode. Upon doing so, have discovered that although my Residential Fridge will run when my 1000w WFCO 5110R inverter is turned on, I have no power to any of my GFI outlets such as my TV and vcr/dish receiver power outlet or anywhere else in the trailer. They are not tripped on a GFCI outlet because they all work when plugged into shore power or with my generator on. My converter fuses are good and no breakers appear to be off anywhere.

Is there something that I am missing?
    Last edited by zipman; 10-24-2021 at 05:42 PM.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think unless you have factory solar, only the fridge is powered off the inverter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have factory solar, is there anyway to change what is ran through the inverter or else how do you do dry camping if not able to power off of battery?

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would take some wiring changes, but it can be done. GD only put an inverter in because of the residential fridge. If you want to dry camp, you'll need either a generator or some wiring changes to use your current inverter. Also, youll need a way to charge your battery. There is more to it depending what route you go, but that's the basic idea.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got it, I am installing 2 105ah lithium batteries and have a generator but realize that I cannot run a generator for hours on end. So I have been trying to count how big of solar panels needed to keep the batteries charged. I wouldn't know where to begin with rewiring as when I got up under the cargo area where the inverter and converter is located, there are wires galore. Not my cup of tea for sure of knowing where to begin.

I was looking at what this guy did and it may be my quickest route for the time being: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqn2CqhrlUY

Any thoughts?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No GFI outlet power when only running through inverter and battery, need help

Quote Originally Posted by zipman View Post
    Got it, I am installing 2 105ah lithium batteries and have a generator but realize that I cannot run a generator for hours on end. So I have been trying to count how big of solar panels needed to keep the batteries charged. I wouldn't know where to begin with rewiring as when I got up under the cargo area where the inverter and converter is located, there are wires galore. Not my cup of tea for sure of knowing where to begin.

I was looking at what this guy did and it may be my quickest route for the time being: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqn2CqhrlUY

Any thoughts?
    Hi Zipman,

I guess it boils down to how you use your available power. If you use the same as in the video, you will be fine with this approach. If you only want to use say tv, lights and outlets for charging, maybe a Solar generator like a Jackery would be a simpler install with no inverter losses, but it would not be as versatile, probably not the microwave or coffee machine.

I really didn’t think of this type of solution until another member explained how he was doing it, and you know for a simple getrdone, may be the way to go.

And use say 200 watt portable solar to recharge the battery, The Jackery and others like it are just basically a battery with a small inverter built in.

Bill
    Last edited by Redapple63; 10-24-2021 at 08:00 PM.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill,

I thought about the solar generator but then it's only being a runtime of what the solar charges. I am going to be talking with the service tech tomorrow and see how much wiring is involved with the current system.

If it's too much then I will just go with the way the guy went in the video more than likely.

Thanks for your input, I had been pulling my hair out trying to figure out what I was missing before you responded.

Dan

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zipman View Post

Any thoughts?
    Please know I am not picking on you. I've taken this thread as the chance to state a position I have regarding solar for RVs.

I got curious and priced that "quickest route" as I think that solar is overhyped these days.
    It adds up to $808 (not including labor if you don't do it yourself)
    Inverter: $300
    Solar Panels: $400
    25' 12ga extension cord: $34
    Extension cord adapter: $7
    Dog Bone adapter: $23
    Battery monitor: $44

All you need to do is get one day of bad weather and you will be looking to a generator to top off your batteries (even with those 2 lithiums). If all you need to do is top off some batteries and you have a generator, just use it and avoid a lot of expense, time, and, potentially, trouble.

Actually, you can run a generator for hours, or even days, on end. I've dry camped for a week with 2 Honda 2200i generators plenty of times. Admittedly, it was with one air conditioner, no heaters (summer time), and a propane refrigerator. But you can still do it.

btw.... if dry camping in the winter is planned then you may want to be more curious about how much electricity you will need for heat not to mention how much propane.

I installed a 2000W Xantrex inverter/converter and re-wired my rig so all outlets are on the inverter if/when needed. So if you go the heavier duty inverter route there is that cost. So it might bring down the cost of a solar installation a bit.

If you want most, or even all of your outlets to work on your inverter then a sub panel for those circuits is in order as is the associated re-wiring and, again, the cost of an inverter and maybe a new converter for those 2 lithium batteries.

edit: just saw this thread... it may be (inexpensive) help...
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods