User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Discharged battery

We've got our new Imagine a few months ago and it made a very good first impression overall. We made a few trips within South Florida, between the trips the trailer was sitting with battery disconnected for 3-4 weeks and in both cases I was trying to start the fridge one day prior to the departure and was unable to do so because of dead battery.
    The dealer put in a Cross Country battery which appears to be totally generic and of unknown country of origin.
    However, as per dealer the problem is not with the battery but due to a few loads (LP sensor) which are still connected to it, even with off switch removed, which is hard to imagine (no pun intended).
    Did anyone had similar experience?

Thank you.
    Last edited by RGene7001; 10-24-2021 at 09:01 PM.
    Eugene.
    2022 GD Imagine 2800
    2021 Dodge Durango R/T with Tow N Go

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    VERY common issue. Depending on the specific trailer, there is the LP Sensor, the CO sensor, the smoke detector, the clock in the DVD/sound system, and possibly a few other things. I did the same - ran the battery flat in my first RV (non-Grand Design), and killed it. The loads aren't big, but over time.....
    Some will install true kill switches at one of the battery terminals. I just take one set of leads off of the battery when we don't plan to use the RV for any length of time. Note that this kills your tongue jack AND the emergency brake until reconnected.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RGene7001 View Post
    We've got our new Imagine a few months ago and it made a very good first impression overall. We made a few trips within South Florida, between the trips the trailer was sitting with battery disconnected for 3-4 weeks and in both cases I was trying to start the fridge one day prior to the departure and was unable to do so because of dead battery.
    The dealer put in a Cross Country battery which appears to be totally generic and of unknown country of origin.
    However, as per dealer the problem is not with the battery but due to a few loads (LP sensor) which are still connected to it, even with off switch removed, which is hard to imagine (no pun intended).
    Did anyone had similar experience?

Thank you.
    Not sure what fridge you have, but my Norcold 2118 will kill the battery overnight. I'm still learning, but this fridge has a continuous 12 volt door flapper and perimeter heater to eliminate condensation. Add that to all of the other 12 volt parasitic draw and there goes your battery fast. I still need to measure my drawdown, but am thinking it is what it is and not an issue. Two batteries is better if you don't mind the extra weight.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are leaving it sit for a few weeks not plugged in to shore power, yes, the battery will be low or dead.

As stated, several loads still on the battery. To give a try disconnect, either install a disconnect directly on the battery, or take the wire lead off.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ours would also go dead in a week or 2 with the battery disconnect off. I installed a true battery disconnect right at the battery. Now that all I use.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DECelt View Post
    Not sure what fridge you have, but my Norcold 2118 will kill the battery overnight. I'm still learning, but this fridge has a continuous 12 volt door flapper and perimeter heater to eliminate condensation. Add that to all of the other 12 volt parasitic draw and there goes your battery fast. I still need to measure my drawdown, but am thinking it is what it is and not an issue. Two batteries is better if you don't mind the extra weight.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    This situation is a perfect use case for converting to Lithium (LiFePo4) batteries. Standard Lead Acid batteries simply do not have enough energy storage in them to keep a 12 volt compressor refrigerator running for 24 hours. Additionally, if your camper had been in storage for a couple of weeks without a "complete" battery disconnect, then some energy had already been drained from the battery prior to you turning on the refrigerator.

Based on what you have said, I would recommend you start with 200 ah of Lithium battery(ies). You do not have to spend the big money on name brand (BB) Lithium batteries, Amazon has 100ah and 200ah batteries for about 30% of the cost of the name brand batteries.

Search this forum for "Cheap Batteries" and you will find a complete post discussing the pros and cons of using these lower cost Lithium (LiFePo4) batteries.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 when I installed my lithium battery and a monitor. Works great and very convenient.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2025.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	37470
    This is my solution to keep the batteries from dying during outside storage.
    A cheap (less than $20) solar panel mounted to the propane tank cover.
    It works for me.
    But I will likely also buy a shut off switch.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins