Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 260RD question

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

260RD question

Hi. I'm new to the forum and to Grand Design. As we're nearing retirement we've been studying for our dream RV. We found it unexpectedly and bought our new 260RD. We don't possess it yet, but love everything about it. I have a question: I believe my 2020 F150 3.5 Ecoboost truck has the power to pull it, (on mostly flat terrain), but I'm concerned we're near full weight/payload capacity. Are there any others out there RVing with a similar setup?

If it proves too heavy, I'll stick to local trips until retirement, then upgrade the truck. I believe that will be ok for a short period.

Will Not Be Dictated To
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill JC View Post
    Hi. I'm new to the forum and to Grand Design. As we're nearing retirement we've been studying for our dream RV. We found it unexpectedly and bought our new 260RD. We don't possess it yet, but love everything about it. I have a question: I believe my 2020 F150 3.5 Ecoboost truck has the power to pull it, (on mostly flat terrain), but I'm concerned we're near full weight/payload capacity. Are there any others out there RVing with a similar setup?

If it proves too heavy, I'll stick to local trips until retirement, then upgrade the truck. I believe that will be ok for a short period.
    We have a 297RSTS with the exact same GVWR, though a TT not a 5ver. We used to tow it with a Nissan Titan XD with a 5.0L Cummins. It was fine here in Coastal N.C. This last week we took the TT to the N.C. mountains, the Blue Ridge Mountains, to New River State Park, towing it with our new TV, an F350 6.7L diesel. The realization that the narrow 20 foot wide roads with no shoulders, drop offs and multiple descents, some at 8% were probably beyond a non-engine braked truck, made me wonder if my previous TV could have performed well without overheating the brakes or transmission. Though specifications state it could, those specifications are one time tests and not multiple repeated climbs and descents with hairpin turns and other fun driving challenges. I would stick to close to home flat land towing until you get a truck that can control the weight that is behind it, and not just pull it along.
    Last edited by The_Lovells; 10-25-2021 at 03:22 PM.
    I left the Forum due to dictatorial administration

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If fully loaded, the 260RD will put between 2,000 and 2,300 lbs. on the pin. Does your F150 have that kind of payload left over after you subtract the weight of a hitch, passengers, and anything else in the truck? Unless it has the Heavy Duty Payload package in addition to the Heavy Duty Tow package, it may not. Get all the numbers off the door sticker on your truck and the side of the trailer and plug them in here:

https://changingears.com/weight-calc...ht-calculator/

Advertised pin/hitch weights are pretty useless. They are empty/dry from engineering specs and units often come off the line weighing more - and certainly do after you install batteries, fill propane, and load your stuff.

One more edit: there's a lot of good information in the Reference Library in this thread:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ing-Capability

Finally, welcome to the forum! You can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 10-25-2021 at 04:17 PM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    If fully loaded, the 260RD will put between 2,000 and 2,300 lbs. on the pin. Does your F150 have that kind of payload left over after you subtract the weight of a hitch, passengers, and anything else in the truck? Unless it has the Heavy Duty Payload package in addition to the Heavy Duty Tow package, it may not. Get all the numbers off the door sticker on your truck and the side of the trailer and plug them in here:

https://changingears.com/weight-calc...ht-calculator/

Advertised pin/hitch weights are pretty useless. They are empty/dry from engineering specs and units often come off the line weighing more - and certainly do after you install batteries, fill propane, and load your stuff.

One more edit: there's a lot of good information in the Reference Library in this thread:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ing-Capability

Finally, welcome to the forum! You can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    My loaded (@8500# approx.) 260RD weighs in at 1550# (approx. ) on the hitch. I know where Rob was approximating from but these 150 series run real close to 18% of weight bearing on the hitch. That being said based off the GVWR of a 260RD you could very reasonably expect up to 1750# on the pin. You need a hitch, most of the common fifth wheel hitches will weigh in at 200#. With that and two people in the cab you would need over 2000# of payload available. By this I mean your truck weighed with all accessories, persons, gas and anything you care to carry in the bed. So yes unfortunately and most likely your F150 would be overloaded. The 3.5 Eco has plenty of power to pull but your truck really isn't up to the task. You don't list trim level or options which play a big role determining payload (yellow sticker on the driver door post) you can carry. See my signature below and note I have the HDPP option which by virtue of beefed up frame, axle, springs, tires, and more increases the payload rating of my truck. This was done intentionally with a lot of thought and homework. And no you cannot swap out parts to increase payload. In the interest of weight saving I recommend you look at the Andersen Ultimate Hitch ( no affiliation ) with the turnover ball needed it would weigh in at less than 80# vs 200#. In all honesty for the money you are going to spend now is the time to think about a truck upgrade.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 10-26-2021 at 05:33 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill JC View Post

I respect and appreciate everyone's response. Until I retire I will only take short trips under 50 miles each way, then upgrade to at least a F250 Super Duty.
    Last edited by Bill JC; 10-26-2021 at 08:08 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pulled my 2970RL with a F150 for a while. Air bags and a Helwig rear anti sway bar really helped the truck deal with the "slightly" overloaded situation as I saved up to purchase my F250.
    I chose the 2000# Air Lift bags for the f150 and they really firmed up the ride and helped with the squat. My current truck has 5000# Air Lift bags and might be a better choice for towing a 5er.
    2019 2970RL
    2020 F250

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Pap and Mimi View Post
    I pulled my 2970RL with a F150 for a while. Air bags and a Helwig rear anti sway bar really helped the truck deal with the "slightly" overloaded situation as I saved up to purchase my F250.
    I chose the 2000# Air Lift bags for the f150 and they really firmed up the ride and helped with the squat. My current truck has 5000# Air Lift bags and might be a better choice for towing a 5er.
    Thanks for the tip. There are no available F250 or 350 Lariats around here. We'll only take trips of less than 50 miles each way until retirement. Then I'll upgrade the truck. Something should pop up in the next year or so.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    My loaded (@8500# approx.) 260RD weighs in at 1550# (approx. ) on the hitch. I know where Rob was approximating from but these 150 series run real close to 18% of weight bearing on the hitch. That being said based off the GVWR of a 260RD you could very reasonably expect up to 1750# on the pin. You need a hitch, most of the common fifth wheel hitches will weigh in at 200#. With that and two people in the cab you would need over 2000# of payload available. By this I mean your truck weighed with all accessories, persons, gas and anything you care to carry in the bed. So yes unfortunately and most likely your F150 would be overloaded. The 3.5 Eco has plenty of power to pull but your truck really isn't up to the task. You don't list trim level or options which play a big role determining payload (yellow sticker on the driver door post) you can carry. See my signature below and note I have the HDPP option which by virtue of beefed up frame, axle, springs, tires, and more increases the payload rating of my truck. This was done intentionally with a lot of thought and homework. And no you cannot swap out parts to increase payload. In the interest of weight saving I recommend you look at the Andersen Ultimate Hitch ( no affiliation ) with the turnover ball needed it would weigh in at less than 80# vs 200#. In all honesty for the money you are going to spend now is the time to think about a truck upgrade.
    Yup, I get it. Unfortunately there are no available 250 or 350 Lariats around here. Hopefully something will pop up next year or at year end.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate your insight. We'll use this truck temporarily and only for trips of 40 miles max until I find a larger rig.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a '16 RAM 2500 and a '21 260RD. With my trailer loaded with food, clothing, etc. for a 4-5 day weekend, the pin is 1550 lbs.
    Bobby K.
    2021 Reflection 150 260RD
    2016 Ram 2500 CTD
    Central Maryland

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast