User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This summer we were in a campground it Indiana and we went for a stroll around the loops. We saw a 32+ foot TT parked crooked at the bottom of a hill. The next day we saw a recovery team of sorts trying to hook to the trailer. We asked, and learned that the owner had unhooked without chocks and the trailer had rolled away all the way into a site on the other side of the loop. Sadly the owner was seriously injured, had been taken away by ambulance, and was not expected to return.

I'm glad your mistake was easily corrected and no one was hurt.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NewGuy View Post
    Had a bit of a harrowing experience at the RV park today. Had to relocate my trailer to a new spot and was curious if I would need to use my new Andersen Levelers. After backing in, I checked for level and indeed had to bring one side up a bit. I placed the levelers at the front of the two tires and up she went. Figured all was good, except… I forgot to chock behind the tires. I’m sure you can guess what comes next…

As I’m raising the jack to unhitch the trailer, everything is looking fine. I use one of those little camco cones, rather than just the foot that comes with the jack. I have a Husky Centerline hitch which requires you to raise the trailer high enough to release the sway bars. One side comes off without an issue, but I had to wrestle with the other side a bit as my truck was not quite straight to the trailer (I know this is a mistake). Once unhooked, I continue to lift the trailer off the ball when, all of a sudden, my trailer lurches backwards, the cone kicks out, and my trailer slams straight down onto the pavement, stopping on the partially extended jack shaft. (Ironically, I think having the cone prevented the jack from dragging, which probably would have bent the shaft)

In hindsight, the trailer simply rolled back off the levelers after being unhitched. After about a ten minute panic, I collected my thoughts and rehitched the trailer, starting the process over, making sure to chock both sides of my trailer before releasing the hitch off my truck.

If this happened at a campsite with soft earth, I would have been dead meat. That shaft surely would have dug down deep enough to make recovery difficult or impossible.

Related or not, I think I’ve seen enough with this Husky hitch. It’s a pain in the butt to handle and I’m just not comfortable with it. Operator error was clearly the issue here, but lack of confidence with my equipment contributed some. Curious if all the hitches out there are as cumbersome to use.

Probably will never chock my tires enough to feel 100% confident, but I will chock, chock, chock, from now on.

Jim
    Welcome to the forum and sharing you learning experiences. We have all been there!!
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @NewGuy

Had the same thing happen to us years ago with our pop-up camper... Luckily it was at a buddies property and it didn't get to far before the tongue jack finally dug itself into the ground and stopped it.... and thankfully I didn't have a campground full of spectators to witness anything.

Last year I had a full blue Rhino tote tank come off the hitch on my truck on the way to the dump station and roll down an embankment and flip over in a State Park... that was another adventure!
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a rented boom lift at the house once to paint the exterior. Moved it around (it was on a trailer) with my ATV for a few days, then, moved it to a spot where I could hook up the truck to take it back. It had a wheel on the jack and I just wasn't thinking, I start jacking it up, comes off the ball, and starts right down the hill. I credit myself one smart action in this, I jumped on the thing and put the stabilizers down to stop it. No harm, no foul, although I was white after the whole experience. It was a 30K piece of equipment, and this was as clearly "my fault" as anything could be, just dumb. That would have been a VERY expensive lesson if that thing had wound up at the bottom of the hill.

That said, you guys did get me thinking, I never chock my wheels when we setup; never had a problem, but, just thinking about it, it's certainly possible for the weight of the trailer to pull back before all the jacks come down. I'd think the site would have to be way out of level to overcome the massive amount of friction between the jack and the gravel surface though, right?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Massive amount of friction", maybe not massive enough. I never unhook from the truck without chocking the wheels first. If you've never done that and never had any issues, you must stay in really level spots. I put down chocks even when the trailer is perfectly level, just so I don't get out of the habit of doing it. All those times of never having any need can be canceled out with just one Murphy moment.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    "Massive amount of friction", maybe not massive enough. I never unhook from the truck without chocking the wheels first. If you've never done that and never had any issues, you must stay in really level spots. I put down chocks even when the trailer is perfectly level, just so I don't get out of the habit of doing it. All those times of never having any need can be canceled out with just one Murphy moment.
    I just ordered a set of chocks.

Never really thought about it before, but this thread may have saved me a really bad trip! I just got 4 of the triangle shaped chocks, I just want something easy I can jam under there; as you said, I do stay in really level spots, but for 50 bucks, seems like real cheap insurance. It's one of those things where the insurance cost vs the possible damage is totally out of whack, it's so cheap to avoid, and so expensive if you do have the trailer roll down the hill or into your truck, no brainer.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Beech levelers but I also use an X chock on both sides. Not so much that i'm paranoid that the trailer will roll away but rather stability. Seems to "wobble" less when we are moving around inside.
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12