User Tag List

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has Anyone Here done or had done, the JC Refrigeration HVAC 12V mod to their Norcold

Just wondering.......have any of you either done the work yourself, or had JC Refrigeration in Shipshewana do the 12VDC compressor mod to your Norcold 2118? And more importantly, if you have......ARE YOU Satisfied with the results and happy with your Norcold now?

I'm going to upgrade my batteries in the Momentum and I'm going to build a LiFePO4 battery bank with approx. 310AH, so it should be plenty of battery for what we need. The plan is to have the Norcold converted over to a 12VDC compressor system and I would like to here any comments that you have in regard to how yours worked out when completed.

Please, no arguments or comments on 12 Compressor vs. absorption system.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Just wondering.......have any of you either done the work yourself, or had JC Refrigeration in Shipshewana do the 12VDC compressor mod to your Norcold 2118? And more importantly, if you have......ARE YOU Satisfied with the results and happy with your Norcold now?

I'm going to upgrade my batteries in the Momentum and I'm going to build a LiFePO4 battery bank with approx. 310AH, so it should be plenty of battery for what we need. The plan is to have the Norcold converted over to a 12VDC compressor system and I would like to here any comments that you have in regard to how yours worked out when completed.

Three years ago, Tom Morton, from the Mortons on The Move YouTube channel replaced his older Absorption Refrigeration coils with a 12/24 volt DC compressor system. The process is outlined in the video link below.

Tom did a followup post (or video) and with the exception of some voltage issues having to do with his unusual 24 volt system he was very satisfied with the way the system operated. Note: once he switched his refrigerator to 12 volts, he no longer had any issues.

Video Link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yte1V3CkDrw
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Three years ago, Tom Morton, from the Mortons on The Move YouTube channel replaced his older Absorption Refrigeration coils with a 12/24 volt DC compressor system. The process is outlined in the video link below.

Tom did a followup post (or video) and with the exception of some voltage issues having to do with his unusual 24 volt system he was very satisfied with the way the system operated. Note: once he switched his refrigerator to 12 volts, he no longer had any issues.

Video Link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yte1V3CkDrw
    Good information to hear. I really want to have them do the mod to the twin compressor 12V mod, but I just want to be sure that it is something that works correctly and consistently. The Norcold, in it's OEM configuration is simply not reliable.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post

I converted my Dometic 1350 to the JC Refrigeration compressor system. It was doable but if having them do it is a reasonable option, I would have them do it. We were too far away. Very happy with the results as we have used it probably 10 months out of the last 18. At this point, though, I would take a look at the new 12 volt compressor refrigerators as a possibility instead if there is one that fits your space. They are new but seem to be the ideal solution.
    2018 Reflection 303rls, MORryde IS
    2017 Ford F-350 CC SB SRW 6.7L Diesel
    Blue Ox Super Ride hitch

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    I converted my Dometic 1350 to the JC Refrigeration compressor system. It was doable but if having them do it is a reasonable option, I would have them do it. We were too far away. Very happy with the results as we have used it probably 10 months out of the last 18. At this point, though, I would take a look at the new 12 volt compressor refrigerators as a possibility instead if there is one that fits your space. They are new but seem to be the ideal solution.
    Thanks for that info. I've looked at a couple of the 12V compressor models, and as yet, no one has one that is as large as our Norcold 2118......18 cu. ft. I really like the fridge as far as it's layout and it's looks, so I guess I just can't justify spending right at 2 grand for a new...smaller fridge when JC refrigeration can convert mine into a 12V twin compressor system for a few hundred less dollars. I end up with more fridge space than the new ones that are out there. If someone comes up with an 18-20 cu. ft and is in the price range.....I might be interested in that.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually