User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disc Brake Components

Ok so I got a quote for a disc brake kit for my 2021 Reflection 150 295RL. $2200 seems a bit steep for an install kit. What am I missing? What are the specific components for such a kit? I am pretty mechanically savvy and don’t have a problem doing the install myself.

Thanks
    Tim
    2021 Reflection 150 295RL
    2018 GMC 2500HD Denali Diesel 4x4

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $2200 for a kit, with everything at the prices they are, doesn't sound too bad. Of course it depends on where you get it, what kind you get, and if it is a 100% complete kit. There is quite a bit of stuff involved: 4 discs, 4 calipers, four sets of bearings and seals, wiring, tubing and/or hoses, pump, accumulator, mounting brackets, and misc. parts/fasteners. Gotta pay to play.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_av8r View Post
    Ok so I got a quote for a disc brake kit for my 2021 Reflection 150 295RL. $2200 seems a bit steep for an install kit. What am I missing? What are the specific components for such a kit? I am pretty mechanically savvy and don’t have a problem doing the install myself.

Thanks
    Tim
    I too have a 295RL. I also have inquired on disk brake conversion for my 5er. That amount is about right for what I have been getting as well. The Electric over hydraulc actuator runs about 825+ for the Dextor unit, Kodiak disk brakes $500 an axle, and the line kit is about $200. Thats right at the $2k mark piecing it all out. So another $200 for a kit you dont have to get all of the pieces individualy and getting some good technical help for the install on our 5100lb axles.... welll IMO, is a good deal.

Only way I see to save is to do your line kit...... but hey, instructions, tech help, and not having to pay shipping........ The Stopyourtrailer kit is the way I will go.

BTW, may even consider going up to the 6k axles while I'm doing it! I think the 5100lb and 6000lb take the same brake kit... as long as you can get the same 6 lug spacing on the hubs.... which I think you can.
    Last edited by trailrydr; 10-26-2021 at 08:18 PM.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two years ago when MORryde did the disc brakes with the IS installation on our Solitude, just the hubs, calipers and plumbing kit with Carlisle pump/actuator were $1,840 (not counting all the little stuff) - and prices have done nothing but go up since then.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5 years ago my kit was about $1,500 so $2,000 sounds right considering how prices have gone up in that time. Back then local shop charged $600 for labor to install.

Remember there’s now a 25% China tariff that is passed on to the consumer, plus there’s normal inflation. I was talking to my daughter who owns a shop that builds boats. Their cost for hulls from China went up 100% in 2 years due to tariffs and shipping cost. 2 hulls delivered that were $30k delivered 2 years ago are now $60k with long delays.

The MSRP on my 337RLS was $60k in 2016 and we bought it for $45k. Today it’s $82k and street prices have to be about $70k. Buckle up, it’s not going to get any better soon.
    Last edited by Jerryr; 10-27-2021 at 07:09 AM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the price. Occasionally either company selling the kits will offer $100 off due to referral discount or rally discount. The kits are complete with nothing more needed unless you have a tow vehicle that requires an electrical adapter for the electric over hydraulic to work properly.

Look to piece it together yourself, right down to hardware and tubes plus component shipping and you will see it's appropriate. I did the exercise myself and also installed myself. No question, it's a steep outlay, but more than rationalized by weight and value of our Solitude and the performance pushes the needle well into the money well spent zone!

Pro-Tips:
    1) If you plan to install a shock or bumper style dampening kit, consider their mounting needs when routing the lines.
    2. Discs generate a lot more brake dust which is rough on wheel finish. Brake dust shields are Centramatics help with that.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the actuator was what I was missing, thanks for all of the input, price makes sense now.
    2021 Reflection 150 295RL
    2018 GMC 2500HD Denali Diesel 4x4