User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing new 22RBE home results in warranty claim

Picked up my new 22RBE and towed it >200 miles home but while backing down my driveway I heard loud metal rattling and grinding noises.

Turns out one of my wheel brake assemblies came apart along the way. The bottom brake shoe spring and brake adjust assembly was bouncing and grinding like a baby rattle.

So it's in the shop already on a warranty claim while I'm on a countdown to start a 4,500 trip in about a month.

The good thing is this problem surfaced before the trip and not on the trip.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7 Hemi 4X4
    USAF Veteran

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky2 View Post
    Picked up my new 22RBE and towed it >200 miles home but while backing down my driveway I heard loud metal rattling and grinding noises.

Turns out one of my wheel brake assemblies came apart along the way. The bottom brake shoe spring and brake adjust assembly was bouncing and grinding like a baby rattle.

So it's in the shop already on a warranty claim while I'm on a countdown to start a 4,500 trip in about a month.

The good thing is this problem surfaced before the trip and not on the trip.

Sounds like you're getting it taken care of. Definitely good it happened before the big trip.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good thing that it happened before your trip.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure they check all the other wheels also!
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd ask for a complete and thorough look at all the components. Brakes, Axels, Tires, Etc.
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoJoSo View Post
    I'd ask for a complete and thorough look at all the components. Brakes, Axels, Tires, Etc.
    I'll be doing this myself. Better peace of mind.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    USAF Veteran

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear it's being taken care of. We love our 22RBE, hope you get as much enjoyment out of it as we have ours!
    Jason & Jamie
    2016 F150 Lariat Supercrew 4x4, 5.0L, 3.55
    2020 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    The Great PNW!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitsman3 View Post
    Glad to hear it's being taken care of. We love our 22RBE, hope you get as much enjoyment out of it as we have ours!
    Thanks! We are looking forward to our first trip with our 22RBE.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    USAF Veteran

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Done wrong by dealer!

So after weeks of the local dealer holding on to my trailer, missing three self-imposed promise dates, the dealer finally calls and tells me it's ready for pick-up. But they also said they could not find anything wrong with the brake assembly and drum/hub so it would not be a warranty repair. They said they did replace the grease seal because they removed the hub and they charged me ~$85.

I explained to the service adviser that my new trailer experienced a total brake failure on this brake assembly and parts were visually damaged. I even had to buy a non Lippert spring from a local trailer parts shop just to hold the brake shoes together so I could tow my new trailer to the local RV dealer who is also a dealer for Grand Design. But they said everything was good and I had to pay up to get my trailer back.

So I paid up and brought my trailer home. I proceeded to adjust all four brakes and then test the braking system out but only 3 out of the 4 brake assemblies would adjust correctly where the resistance from the brake shoes stopped the tires from spinning. Guess which brake assembly would not adjust ... yep, the brake assembly that I identified to the dealer for repair. It's starting to look like they either never inspected my brake assembly or the tech did not what they were doing.

I'm thinking that if they had contacted Grand Design was told them that a customer experienced a total brake failure while driving 200 miles back from the dealer where he had just purchased it new that they would authorize warranty repair. The fact that critical brake parts were bouncing around and grinding to the point that the spring broke and visual grinding marks are on all parts including the drum braking surface that they would insist that all parts damaged be replace and verified that the brake function worked properly before the trailer is given back to the customer.

This is a developing situation ...
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    USAF Veteran

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be calling GD with the VIN to verify the dealer filed a warranty claim. And I'd be asking GD to cover the cost of a loaded backing plate and change it out myself.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast