User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second spare on long trips - yes! Mounted. Even a third unmounted.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well a lot of people are saying get a second spare and service kit. So, I guess I better have it thank you
    Terry
    2022 Imagine
    2021 Chevy Silverado

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow are the roads in Alaska that bad?

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post

That is a HUGE affirmative!!!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post

Some are. We broke a spring hanger on them.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We went to Alaska from Virginia 4 years ago. Wife said we needed an extra spare. It rode in the truck bed all the way there and back (15,000 miles). We've put another 5,000 miles on the Westlakes and they still look new. Used tire pressure monitor and checked lug nuts every couple of days. The ALCAN highway is not bad and the main road around Alaska was also better than expected. There are several construction zones with gravel and lots of frost heaves so porpoising is to expected. Fantastic trip and great fishing.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PVISION View Post
    I plan on taking my Imagine to Alaska next summer. People have told me I should consider a second spare tire.
    So, I thought I would post the question to see what other owners have done or plan to do.
    Thanks to all.
    I would for these reasons:
    1) You will be driving remote areas for long distances.
    2) If flat can't be fixed, do you want to be forced driving on spare hundreds/thousands of miles (don't recommend)?
    3) If must be replaced, also depends on your tire type. Many places may be able to get you a Chinese tire, but if you have a less common one, you may have to have a non matched tire, though not end of the world.
    This all came up few weeks ago - had my first flat on my new GY Endurance, was a gash outside of tread on corner of sidewall from a key of all things, but not repairable. Everyone nearby had plenty of Chinese tires to replace the GY, but not the latter except for one local outfit had one that fit- got real lucky. Nothing in stock for over 100 miles as GY has been backordered awhile.
    4) Much easier in more remote areas to find someone to mount a new tire you have than to have your tire in stock. Or simply buy with a cheap wheel like your current spare so you rely on nobody.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 2500 HD/Cummins Night Ed
    Missour-uh

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Things must have changed drastically over the last few years. I spent 3.5 months on the Alaskan highway & others towing my 5th on many of the highways. I found most were not as bad as portrayed other than construction areas. The one that was different was the Dempster to Inuvik. All gravel & shale. In those months I never had a flat. I did see RV's with damage though, and most of those were due to driving too fast for road conditions. I did see a motorhome with 6 spare tires drapped over the roof though and he was motoring right along, . The Dempster is worth the trip and incredibly beautiful and is possibly something you will only get to see once in your life. I recommend having a copy of the 'Milepost' magazine on hand..

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After 2 blowouts with Falken tires on my previous 38 ft 5th wheel I switched to Michelin Ribs. I know they are not specifically a trailer tire but they steel cased and are plenty stiff, IMHO bulletproof. That will be my next move on my 293RL when the factory rubber is worn out. Has anyone here ever tried them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a set of them on a Montana that I purchased used. The rv was 4 yrs old when I purchased it and had always been stored inside. I also kept it stored inside and ran the tires for five years before they started showing signs of dry rot. When I sold the rv I pulled the folder of paper work that the 1st owner had gave me. The receipt for the tires were there and he had put them on when he purchased the rv new. I would have never ran tires for nine years if I had realized this. They were great tires but expensive. I was going to sell the next year so I put a set of Bridgestone tires that were made like the Michelin but about $400.00 cheaper at the time. I will say the Bridgestone were much softer and my rv pulled a lot better. Maybe the others had just got hard due to age.
    2021 351MR
    2017 Jayco 377rlbh (sold)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast