User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PVISION View Post
    Yes, This is why I'm asking
    You don't need another spare tire, but you could/should have an extra tire (not the rim, just the rubber)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You’ve been given a lot of good advice! In 2011 we experienced a truck flat (without camper) on the Dempster “Highway”. That tire could not be repaired. Thankfully we had carried an extra tire that could be mounted on that rim. However, we had to travel from Dawson City to Anchorage before we could find another spare to the spare. It was an uneasy feeling. Speed limit is a huge factor! Be patient and willing to slow down to perhaps 25 mph. Pay attention to the orange cones. We pulled a 2004 Sunnybrook. Back then campers were built like tanks! Not so much today! Leave no road untraveled! We are so thankful we did all that we did because there’s been no return trip. It’s a trip of a lifetime!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Highly recommend a 2nd wheel. Rim from ETRAILER and BAL retract a spare. Trailer Tires in remote areas are a crapshoot. https://www.partspak.com/productcart...hoCEsAQAvD_BwE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We made the trip from Fairbanks, AK to Columbus, GA in 1987 in a VW Jetta with a donut spare. There were many more stretches of unpaved road at that time. We had no issues at all. Fast forward to today…I’d carry an extra spare for the truck and trailer and I’d make sure that my diesel transfer tank was topped off at every opportunity.
    Diane and Mike
    2022 280RS. Onan generator, Sumo Springs, MORyde crossmembers, hardwired surge protector
    2015 F-350 DRW 4x4 6.7L Power Stroke Feed Truck. 4.10s, front & rear stabilizer bars, Andersen 3221-TBX
    2021 Thor Chateau 22E Class C (retired) & 1970 Pop-Up Camper (retired - saw much of Western Europe)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the other site there is a chap who mounted a second spare using the same kind of cable wind system under the rear of the trailer that the factory used for the first spare.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was last on the Alcan in 2003 and hope to return next year.

We had no road trouble and only saw one major breakdown, 5er front frame. Maybe we were just luck. I grew up on Alcan horror stories, dust, broken glass and all sorts of issues. We'll take one spare but some more tools than usual. It's all part of the adventure!
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did the Alaska road trip from SW Washington in 2018, in my wife's Odyssey. Did Anchorage, Fairbanks, and back down through Whistler. Had 5 nights tent camping reservations, only used the last one and it poured on us. Rest of the trip was in hotels. I want to do it again, camping this time, but based on my experience with the roads, I really don't want to take our trailer. If I did take it, a 2nd spare would be a must. I've upgraded our tires to 225/75R15Es, and will be installing RoadArmor suspension and hopefully a disc brake conversion in the next 6 months, so it could handle the trip. There are alot of "gravel" roads in the Yukon, and I like the mobility w/o a towable. My preference is a light truck camper with electric jacks, but rentals are almost impossible to find since we already have the truck. I'd like to take our 1977 Scout II on that trip, but there's no way we could stop wherever we wanted like you can with a self-contained RV or TT. Decisions, decisions, lol.
    Mark and Judy
    2021 F350 Lariat Crew 4x4 SRW 7.3 Godzilla
    2021 Imagine 2500RL w/Hensley Arrow hitch
    Fleet Manager, Cowlitz County WA Search & Rescue

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123