User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portable System to Charge 6V Batteries

There is a ton of information on solar on this forum and elsewhere, but I'm feeling a bit lazy, so I'm starting a new thread. We don't boondock/dry camp a lot, but I'm looking to do more in the future. Over the years, we have had a number of stays in national parks sans hookups. We have two 6 volt batteries and if they get low, a Yamaha 2400W generator to charge them up. At this point, I feel like a system of rooftop panels, inverter, and expanded battery bank is overkill for our style of camping. We will generally do without the microwave, make coffee in a French press, and use a Big Buddy propane heater if absolutely necessary. I'm not a fan of running a generator, even a very quiet and efficient one like ours. I am a fan of giving myself options. To that end, I'm considering investing in a 200W portable (suitcase) system. To be honest, I'm not sure that a smaller system wouldn't do the job, but assume that more is better. It should allow for fewer hours of sun, the need to constantly adjust the panels to track the sun, etc. I don't feel a need to do this on the cheap but I'm also not looking to spend more than I have to. It looks to me that a $600 - $1000 budget should be sufficient for a reasonably good quality 180-200 watt setup. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
    2022 F450 Platinum
    B & W Companion
    2024 Brinkley Model Z 3610

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reading your post, a suitcase style came to mind. A small disadvantage with a 200W suitcase is that they are a little heavy and cumbersome to pack and unpack. Big advantage is that you can move it into direct sunlight without having to move the rig. Renogy and CND Solar are reputable companies along with others as well. I wouldn't pay $1,000 for a suitcase solar solution.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the Renogy 200w suitcase and it works well for our Renogy 200ah hybrid gel battery. Little big to tote around but guess everything has tradeoffs. Well worth the money for $400 for the complete setup including charge controller. Unfortunately looks like they are out of stock right now but hopefully back in soon.

https://www.renogy.com/200-watt-12-v...ase-pre-order/

2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
    We have the Renogy 200w suitcase and it works well for our Renogy 200ah hybrid gel battery. Little big to tote around but guess everything has tradeoffs. Well worth the money for $400 for the complete setup including charge controller. Unfortunately looks like they are out of stock right now but hopefully back in soon.

https://www.renogy.com/200-watt-12-v...ase-pre-order/

That is the route I ended up going. It was out of stock on the Renogy website but available on Amazon. Also picked up a 20' extension cord. Pulled the charger off the panels so I can mount it in the battery storage compartment. I also cut off the battery clips and replaced them with ring terminals so I don't need to mess with the battery boxes to connect. I'm staying old school for now and will replace my fading Interstate 6 volts with a couple Trojan T-105s. Purchased a watering system to make maintenance a little easier.
    2022 F450 Platinum
    B & W Companion

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffD68 View Post
    That is the route I ended up going. It was out of stock on the Renogy website but available on Amazon. Also picked up a 20' extension cord. Pulled the charger off the panels so I can mount it in the battery storage compartment. I also cut off the battery clips and replaced them with ring terminals so I don't need to mess with the battery boxes to connect. I'm staying old school for now and will replace my fading Interstate 6 volts with a couple Trojan T-105s. Purchased a watering system to make maintenance a little easier.
    Very nice! I never even thought about mounting the charge controller in the trailer.

I have the 20' extension cables as well. I opted to put an SAE connector on the battery box so I can just plug in the panels. I use the same plug to power my macerator pump for dumping the tanks at home.

2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
    Very nice! I never even thought about mounting the charge controller in the trailer.

I have the 20' extension cables as well. I opted to put an SAE connector on the battery box so I can just plug in the panels. I use the same plug to power my macerator pump for dumping the tanks at home.

You just inspired me. I am using all MC4 solar connectors in my setup so everything can be easily disconnected. I have a portable water pump for pumping water from a bladder to the fresh water tank. I'm sure there's no reason why I can't use the same MC4 connectors on the pump power leads to quickly connect to the battery.

I really wanted to go with a portable system because I can't imagine trying to avoid trees/shade. Same reason there is no chance I would ever put a satellite dish on the roof of an RV.
    2022 F450 Platinum
    B & W Companion

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought about a suitcase style panels but I'm concerned someone wanting it more than us.
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank