User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We bought a new 2022 Momentum 23g. Problems and it's still on the lot! Advice?

After doing two years of research the wife and I decided to pull the trigger on a new GD 23g toy hauler as our first RV. Made the purchase on 10/12, then gave the dealer plenty of notice to do the PDI. With great excitement we travel the 2 hour journey to pick it up on Sat 10/23. The orientation goes great... Then we hook it to the truck, try the lights, and it blows the fuse. The dealer immediately condemns my truck. I explain that I regularly tow trailers with my 2013 Ram 3500 and have never had this issue. I then suggest they try the lights with their shop truck and it blows their fuse as well. So now we made the drive, got a baby sitter for the kids, and we return home with no trailer.

The dealer says they'll diagnose it Monday and give me a call. I anxiously wait.. Monday passes, no call. Mid day Tuesday I call for an update. They tell me they found a melted wire that runs into the sidewall, towards the roof. They will need more time to figure out the problem and contact GD. So we anxiously wait to hear their fix for our new $70k trailer, that we haven't even taken off the dealers lot. Needless to say I'm not very impressed.

The dealer is decent, they said we will have options. To include having a new one built, money back or fixing this one. I'm a little concerned with a brand new unit needing the wall torn apart to get to the wiring. It seems like that could bring on a whole other set of issues. In my experience stuff never goes back together as good as it came from the factory. Does anyone have any thoughts/advice on this situation?

Thanks in advance..
    Last edited by WINspeed; 10-27-2021 at 09:41 PM.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear the dealer is willing to work with you and help you through the agony of getting you your RV. But some aren't as lucky....

A good friend of ours purchased a Forest River 23' TT back in February of this year. As soon as she towed it off the lot, took it home, and extended the slide, the slide mechanism would not retract. She took it back the next day and has not seen it since until last week. After multiple promises and excuses (for whatever) to replace the parts and fix, they finally called her last week and said it was ready to pick up.

So, she went to pick it up and was told by the service manager that the slide worked perfect. So she decided to put it out and back in a couple times. And low and behold she heard a popping sound and it would not go back in. The manager then again told her that it was fixed and she would not have any more issues with it, but then when it did the same thing in front of him he acted surprised. So she asked him why this didn't happen to him if he had tried it like she did a few times, and he finally told her that he only tried once, and also confessed that they had some "other issues" with the the slide not fitting properly within the opening, but got it installed and it worked.

Needless to say, after so many promises of being able to pick it up by certain date(s) and use it for multiple planned and paid outings, she has lost all confidence and is ready to give up RVing all together. Just makes you wonder how many others are going through this nightmare these days. Poor build quality and bad dealer experiences seem to be on the rise.

Unfortunately, she did purchase her new Forrest River TT from a Camping World. As most unsuspecting new buyers, she had no idea that certain dealerships have questionable reputations and that the industry itself is suffering from parts and build quality due to demand. What a bummer it can be for those first time buyers.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not experienced with Momentums, but GD generally runs all wiring associated with what comes through the umbilical within the underside. Then, the wiring travels upward as needed to parking lights, for instance. So, might not be as scary as you are thinking. What fuse blew? Your lights? Fuse for brake control? Fuse for charge line?
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My thought are if there is a melted wire running into the wall, has the foam insulation melted as well? Makes me wonder what other electrical issues will pop up (if any) .

If they find it looks more serious to repair and they are giving you the option for a new ordered trailer, I'd wait for the new one.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    I am not experienced with Momentums, but GD generally runs all wiring associated with what comes through the umbilical within the underside. Then, the wiring travels upward as needed to parking lights, for instance. So, might not be as scary as you are thinking. What fuse blew? Your lights? Fuse for brake control? Fuse for charge line?
    Thank you for the response, The fuse is for the trailer running lights. Brake lights/signals still worked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    My thought are if there is a melted wire running into the wall, has the foam insulation melted as well? Makes me wonder what other electrical issues will pop up (if any) .

If they find it looks more serious to repair and they are giving you the option for a new ordered trailer, I'd wait for the new one.
    Thank you for your response. I agree, depending on what they come back with, I may opt for a new one. If they have to pull the walls or roof apart, I suspect it may not go back together as nicely. Just a bummer to have to wait for something I'm paying on and cant use.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WINspeed View Post
    Thank you for the response, The fuse is for the trailer running lights. Brake lights/signals still worked.
    Have them send you pictures. I'm skeptical. Lights are all now led so I am personally skeptical a short in such a low current lime would cause any notable melting beyond the immediate location of the damage causing the shorting.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Have them send you pictures. I'm skeptical. Lights are all now led so I am personally skeptical a short in such a low current lime would cause any notable melting beyond the immediate location of the damage causing the shorting.
    Great idea on the pictures. The wire would have to be a direct short to ground. I know the fuse was really hot when I pulled it out. Still waiting for a response. I'll call today and put some pressure on them.

Thanks again!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think it would have had running lights coming to your dealer from the factory. Did the dealer add something and run a screw into the wiring? Just a thought. I know this does not change a sad situation. Good luck with it all.
    Dennis
    Dennis & Sharon
    2019 GMC 2500HD Denali
    2006 Crossroads Cruiser - retired
    2022 Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems that most of the RV’s today are slapped together with extremely poor workmanship. If I was doing it again I would look much harder at https://dunesport.com/
    2020 Momentum 25G
    2011 RAM 2500 4x4 Megacab 6.7 Diesel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast