User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post

This https://www.amazon.com/AC-WORKS-Elec...dp/B06WGRK4DN/ is the 4-wire dryer adapter I use to connect to my 50a RV.

Everyone please keep in mind that even if you use the dryer adapter shown above on a 4 wire dryer receptacle it is still only 30 amps per hot leg (sometimes 40amps) max...not 50 amps per hot leg. Best bet for any newbies or non DIY'ers is to hire an electrician and have them put in a dedicated 50A 240V RV receptacle for you if that's what your rig requires, and your existing home panel has the capacity to do so.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBEW Sparky View Post
    Everyone please keep in mind that even if you use the dryer adapter shown above on a 4 wire dryer receptacle it is still only 30 amps per hot leg (sometimes 40amps) max...not 50 amps per hot leg. Best bet for any newbies or non DIY'ers is to hire an electrician and have them put in a dedicated 50A 240V RV receptacle for you if that's what your rig requires, and your existing home panel has the capacity to do so.
    Bill,

As always you provide great advice.

At our S&B home the HOA rules don’t allow RVs. We only bring it to load it prior to a trip and even then we get a violation notice letter from the HOA. No need to install a dedicated 50a RV outlet there.

The 30a 240v 14-30P dryer outlet is used to pre cool the fridge, run the AC and lights while we prepare for a trip. I monitor the current draw via our EMS. It never exceeds 24 amps per leg and usually settles on way less than 20a/leg even with both AC units running. We don’t use the microwave or electric water heater when plugged into the dryer outlet.

Now at our cabin, where we sometimes leave the RV plugged in for weeks at a time, I installed a dedicated 50a RV outlet on the side of the cabin for the RV.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solitude 346 A/C

Quote Originally Posted by 5er Searching View Post
    Thinking of buying a Solitude 346 FLS- R. Most on dealer lots only have 2 ac's. Was wondering with this size unit if 2 would be enough for days in the mid to upper 90's. Also does anyone know if these units with residential refrigerators have inverters standard to run refrigerators while traveling.
    we have a 2021 345 which is the same length and has 2 A/C's of the same size. The hottest weather we have been in is low 90's with direct sun. The two were enough to keep the temperature around 75-76 (which was our target). I will say they ran quite a bit at this temperature, but did keep up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thinking of buying a Solitude 346 FLS- R. Most on dealer lots only have 2 ac's. Was wondering with this size unit if 2 would be enough for days in the mid to upper 90's. Also does anyone know if these units with residential refrigerators have inverters standard to run refrigerators while traveling.
    Get the extra AC unit. 95+ degree days and no shade, you’ll be glad you did. It’s a small amount to pay to be able to get in your camper no matter how hot it is. It’s a no-brainer. I’ve run all 3 AC’s and our dryer, and electric water heater, and electric fridge (its an RV fridge). We have plenty of power overhead. GD has circuitry to keep all the AC units to start in a staggered fashion.
    Matt
    2021 Momentum 376THS FW
    2020 Ram 3500 HO Cummins DRW LB
    B&W Companion 25K Splendide Washer and Dryer Separate DV6400X

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2021 Solitude 3940 with 3 acs and are so glad. When we ordered Oct 20 they said it could not have 3 acs because Grand Design was not accepting orders due to short supply. We were assured several times it would not be required, 2 was enough. In December, my husband happened to be on the GD website and saw they were allowing 3 ac orders again so our dealer called and changed our order. Took delivery in March and are thrilled we paid extra or it. We camp in hot weather and the Texas coast and no way would 2 be enough for our comfort level. We usually only use 3 at one time when first setting up and during the hottest part of the day, but during those times it’s necessary. Depends on where you camp and how cool you like it. When running 2, it can get up to 77 degrees, not cool enough for us.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are better off regretting buying the option, rather than regretting not buying the option....

We have a 375RES and on 90 degree days in Ontario, it takes a lot to get the temps down. I can manage it by getting the rig down to 68 at night and then making sure that I extend the awning out early in the morning to mitigate the solar loading. Doing this I can keep it at 74ish...

You don't have to use it if you have it, but cant use it if you don't....

If I could do it over, I would get the 3rd unit without any hesitation.
    Lyndon

Grand Design 375RES, stationary.
    Cottage Country, Ontario Canada

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    It's the amp ratings, not watts....

An average a/c unit pulls 18 amps at start up. You won't get three going at the same time (starting) on 50 amps.
    50A service on an RV is 2 120V lines each supplying 50A, so you are getting 100A
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2021 Solitude S Class 3950 BHR. We ordered it with 3 a/c’s. Very thankful we did. It gets kinda warm here in South Texas (upper 90’s-100’s). Cools off pretty quickly and we run all three at once. I do wish we had the heat pumps but got an electric fireplace to use with furnace if it gets too cold. We also have a residential fridge and the unit came with an inverter.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dryer outlets are 30A 240. As said above, with the proper adapter, you can plug your 50A cord into your 30A outlet. If you measure across a standard 50 RV outlet, it will read 240V. If you read any single leg to neutral (or ground), it will read 120V. It works the same way in your house.

What you can not do is plug your 30A RV into a 30A 240 dryer outlet.

BTW: Some dealers of higher-end RVs will wire a 240V dryer outlet. I was thinking about doing that on my next RV.

-B
    Fulltime RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon JKU - Harley FLTRU
    2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS
    Also considering a Polaris General XP 1000 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post
    Dryer outlets are 30A 240. As said above, with the proper adapter, you can plug your 50A cord into your 30A outlet. If you measure across a standard 50 RV outlet, it will read 240V. If you read any single leg to neutral (or ground), it will read 120V. It works the same way in your house.

What you can not do is plug your 30A RV into a 30A 240 dryer outlet.

BTW: Some dealers of higher-end RVs will wire a 240V dryer outlet. I was thinking about doing that on my next RV.

-B

You have to be careful and know what your doing to use a dryer outlet.

1- a 3 wire dryer outlet WILL NOT HAVE proper connections for any RV because it doesn’t have both a neutral and a ground which RVs require.

2- A 4-wire 14-30R dryer outlet will have all necessary connections to run an RV with a proper adapter. The only thing is that instead of having 50 amps available on each hot leg it would only have 30 amps per leg available.
    Last edited by Jerryr; 11-05-2021 at 06:20 AM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast