User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Comfort Ride Slipper Spring system w/shocks

Like many others the cost for the MORyde IS system is steep and cannot be installed for well over a year....

Looking at the Roadmaster system and have one big question...has anyone with this system installed still have problems with broken hangers? This is the weakest point in the system I see (plus the nylon bushings).

Thanks for any input....

Mark
    2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
    2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
    2020 Momentum 376THS
    We're both proud USAF Retirees...

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Tech View Post
    Like many others the cost for the MORyde IS system is steep and cannot be installed for well over a year....

Looking at the Roadmaster system and have one big question...has anyone with this system installed still have problems with broken hangers? This is the weakest point in the system I see (plus the nylon bushings).

Thanks for any input....

Mark
    I do not run the slippers but have installed the system for others. To be honest with you, and from an engineer's standpoint, Lippert's hangers and so-called reinforcement of the frame beams at them is inferior. I personally would not put the system on a Momentum without reworking. For instance, the last one I did for friends about 3 years ago was on a big Montana. They needed extra height because the system results in a lower than factory ride height and their TV was pretty tall as a 4x4. I ended up making a sub-frame out of tube steel and fabricated hangers to suspend the slipper kit from. Greatly reinforced the frame and gave them the height and ability to up-size tires too. They are very pleased with the system and are full-time in that camper.

That said, and with the problem I had with our Solitude that required me to rebuild and reinforce the running gear, I wouldn't put it on any Lippert frame with some reworking... You should see the rust that's under every spring hanger Lippert welds on because the save a few pennies not using any primer let alone a weld-through. Even the flange stiffeners - no coating behind them on the beam or the bar stock!

Wanted to add, I do run the Roadmaster shock kit though and when I rebuilt our S-Class suspension I switched to a MORryde CRE3000 equalizer with HD shackles and the combination is SOOO how it should be from the factory!
    Last edited by geotex1; 10-28-2021 at 05:44 PM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had the roadmaster slipper springs and shocks on my 2019 310 Solitude for 2 yrs now. Have not had any issues and feel it was a huge improvement over the what came on the trailer. When backing up into my driveway there is no more popping noises coming from the springs like there was with the factory setup. The springs are certainly more robust then the lippert springs.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your submission.

I have the exact year and model, and also live in Canada. I am looking at this option as well. The idea of travelling all the way to Indiana for the MORyde IS gives me the jitters to say the least. As well, the cost to go to the other installer in Oregon is another 70% higher than at MORyde.
    Retired Couple, Both Oil & Gas Careers
    2019 Solitude 310GK / Lippert Flexair Kingpin / Roadmaster Slipper Springs/Comfortride Shocks
    2021 F350 CC, DRW, Platinum 6.7 PS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was not the cost difference between the 2 systems but rather the inconvenience of getting the 5ver to Indiana over just having a local spring shop do the install of the Roadmaster for me when they did the disk brake upgrade as well. Did have the shop check the hangers and beef up the supports and have also toyed with the idea of putting on the cross braces between the hanger supports
    Last edited by Rolinhar; 11-18-2021 at 03:13 PM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally agree with the hanger checks & beefing up - and was also planning on the cross brace. I am also strongly thinking about a change of the king pin box to a Flexair. All of these items will undoubtedly improve the ride and driving feel, as well as reducing potential damage to 5’r and contents. Thanks & Cheers

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting, I may look into this for my toyhauler. I think my only concern would be with the robustness of the central box that fits over the equalizer hanger. Certainly looks doable by anyone with a certain amount of mechanical ability. This will definitely be on my list if I decide to upgrade to 8,000 lb. axles.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't have the flexair pin but do have the Air Ride, just drove down from VCR Island to Hemet in California and tried different air pressure in the pin each day as it takes time to match things up with the weight of the trailer and the truck. But once you get it dialed in there is a huge improvement in the ride quality.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    I do not run the slippers but have installed the system for others. To be honest with you, and from an engineer's standpoint, Lippert's hangers and so-called reinforcement of the frame beams at them is inferior. I personally would not put the system on a Momentum without reworking. For instance, the last one I did for friends about 3 years ago was on a big Montana. They needed extra height because the system results in a lower than factory ride height and their TV was pretty tall as a 4x4. I ended up making a sub-frame out of tube steel and fabricated hangers to suspend the slipper kit from. Greatly reinforced the frame and gave them the height and ability to up-size tires too. They are very pleased with the system and are full-time in that camper.

That said, and with the problem I had with our Solitude that required me to rebuild and reinforce the running gear, I wouldn't put it on any Lippert frame with some reworking... You should see the rust that's under every spring hanger Lippert welds on because the save a few pennies not using any primer let alone a weld-through. Even the flange stiffeners - no coating behind them on the beam or the bar stock!

Wanted to add, I do run the Roadmaster shock kit though and when I rebuilt our S-Class suspension I switched to a MORryde CRE3000 equalizer with HD shackles and the combination is SOOO how it should be from the factory!
    Hey, are you still happy with this setup?

I'm in the middle of upgrading my all factory suspensions on 5th wheel Momentum, replacing equa-flex with MORryde CRE3000 + HD shackles + X-Factor.
    I'm on 7k tandem dexter axles with 6 leaves springs which got pretty flat in last couple years. I cannot find new leaf springs (7k or 8k) to be shipped in any reasonable time, so I might be looking at rearching and/or adding add'l leaf.
    Also my passenger side hanger got a bit bent, I don't know if it's worth strengthening it or leave it as is?

I decided to go with sumosprings, but after a lot of debating, I canceled that and ordered Roadmaster 2460 Comfort Ride Shock for 3" axles. Pretty mich the same setup as yours.

How are your impressions after a year or so with this setup?

Do you happen to know whether I'll still be able to use Roadmaster 2460 if I add add'l leaf on my 6 leaf springs?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0638.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	39938Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0637.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	39939Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0739.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	39940Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0728.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	39941

Thanks,

--- ngm
    Last edited by ngm011; 04-10-2022 at 11:54 AM.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ngm,

Why not go with the 8,000 lb. springs with the Roadmaster kit? They have an 8,000 lb. kit for 3" axles. I believe that's what I'm going to do. I've considered replacing my 7,000 lb. axles with 8,000 lb. ones, but haven't definitely decided on that.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast