User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You didn't mention Carlisle tires. We have been using Carlisle trailer tires for 30+ years on three different trailers. After a $1750 insurance claim on our Solitude we found and purchased Carlisle 16 ST 14-ply tires. They were $100 cheaper per tire than the tires for my Taurus!

The last set of Carlisle's we had on our former 38 foot Travel trailer lasted 20 years!!

https://www.onlinetires.com/tires/vi...-0-gaNycGzNCNE
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad I saw this new post about Sailun S637Â’s and possible problems.
    We blew one of our original 18-month old Westlake G rated tires back in December 2020 on our 2019 GD Solitude ST375-RES-R. So after many hours of research and messages, we purchased 5-new Sailun S637s just before New Years 2020 (yup, even for the spare). After finally making it home with damaged metal shirting and missing plastic wheel well skirting I started looking closely at the Sailun tire. They were stamped made in Vietnam. So I contacted Sailun (or their US Distributor) and asked about these tires made in Vietnam. I was told they are being made to the same specifications and ISO standards as those made in China. So I am feeling a little better about them….until today. Today, we were on our last 150 mile leg of our 2600+ mile trip. Made it home safely, PTL! Everything seemed fine until I went to put chocks in between the tire to un-hitch. Holy moly, the tire thread of the rear tire on passenger side of our Rv was completely gone! Still inflated and looking great from the side view. Some metal damage and edge of plastic fender skirt is missing.
    So I will be contacting Sailun tomorrow morning and asking what the he$$ is going in with a 10-month old tire!! I always check tire pressures and check temps. Not sure was cause this.

I will also be contacting BOAR wheels to see what they can offer as replacements. So tired of ST TIRES!!
    2019 Solitude ST375RES-R
    2019 F350 DRW factory bed hitch

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fez111 View Post
    You didn't mention Carlisle tires. We have been using Carlisle trailer tires for 30+ years on three different trailers. After a $1750 insurance claim on our Solitude we found and purchased Carlisle 16 ST 14-ply tires. They were $100 cheaper per tire than the tires for my Taurus!

The last set of Carlisle's we had on our former 38 foot Travel trailer lasted 20 years!!

https://www.onlinetires.com/tires/vi...-0-gaNycGzNCNE
    It was purposeful on my part. See post #9 in this thread.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeb Ogburn View Post
    Glad I saw this new post about Sailun S637Â’s and possible problems.
    We blew one of our original 18-month old Westlake G rated tires back in December 2020 on our 2019 GD Solitude ST375-RES-R. So after many hours of research and messages, we purchased 5-new Sailun S637s just before New Years 2020 (yup, even for the spare). After finally making it home with damaged metal shirting and missing plastic wheel well skirting I started looking closely at the Sailun tire. They were stamped made in Vietnam. So I contacted Sailun (or their US Distributor) and asked about these tires made in Vietnam. I was told they are being made to the same specifications and ISO standards as those made in China. So I am feeling a little better about them….until today. Today, we were on our last 150 mile leg of our 2600+ mile trip. Made it home safely, PTL! Everything seemed fine until I went to put chocks in between the tire to un-hitch. Holy moly, the tire thread of the rear tire on passenger side of our Rv was completely gone! Still inflated and looking great from the side view. Some metal damage and edge of plastic fender skirt is missing.
    So I will be contacting Sailun tomorrow morning and asking what the he$$ is going in with a 10-month old tire!! I always check tire pressures and check temps. Not sure was cause this.

I will also be contacting BOAR wheels to see what they can offer as replacements. So tired of ST TIRES!!
    Being a product manufacturer, *opening curtain for all to peek* same specifications and ISO Standard is meaningless but sounds great and comforting! The manufacturing specification, raw material qualification and conformance testing, and finished product quality control is what matters... *opening curtain a little further" both ISO and ASTM are dominated by product manufacturers setting the standards...

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People here are not differentiating between E and G rated tires here. Its important to the discussion. The GY Endurance never was a G rated tire.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our factory Westlake G's tread split on us at 8k miles, we went to Sailuns, two lost tread at 4300 and 4500 miles. I replaced all 4 with Hankook VANTRA TRAILER G-rated from TireRack.com and they look like new after 1k miles. We'll keep an eye on them but very happy so far.
    Last edited by CaptPicardo; 11-04-2021 at 12:52 AM.
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW

Left The Driveway Buckethead305's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptPicardo View Post
    Our factory Westlake G's tread split on us at 8k miles, we went to Sailuns, two lost tread at 4300 and 4500 miles. I replaced all 4 with Hankook VANTRA TRAILER G-rated from TireRack.com and they look like new after 1k miles. We'll keep an eye on them but very happy so far.
    I second the Vantra tire. Replaced the Westlakes just for piece of mind even tho I'd had no issue with them for over 3k miles.
    2021 Imagine 21BHE
    2019 Ram 1500 Not the Classic Body
    Old Workhorse 2002 Tundra 4.7 (Retired)
    Location ? Miami where most peoples English " Is no very good looking "

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another Maxxis Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    I’ll second Maxxis 8008. Run cool.

I have run the 8008s on my two previous Jayco bumper pulls, plus have had them on my 303 for about 3 years. Have never had a tire failure despite pulling from East to West coast from central US. Would recommend them to anyone.
    2012 F-250 6.7L Diesel, SRW
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So dragging this one back up...

Hitting the road again in spring is a must-replace-tires situation... Here in the mountains we have had wild temperature swings this winter. In the course of the same week, below zero to just shy of 50 degF. I noticed one of the 5er tire covers was slack over the weekend and thought the bungee gave up the ghost. Well, not so much. The Westlake G-rated split and air weeped out the carcass. A second is now showing cracks between the tread that were not there at the time of winterizing. Ugh!

Really struggling with the ridiculous tire situation currently, and after talking with knowledgeable folks in the industry choices remain limited. Either GY G614s or another set of Westlakes that gave us just about 14K of scorching to frozen road travel on smooth and easy to rattle your teeth loose roads... What I have trouble with is paying $500/tire for a $200-225 tire in the GYs , and Westlakes at twice their price from 2 years ago... Everyone I could shake out of the industry expects the supply issue to continue through this year, China manufacturing is not financially worthwhile currently for export (Saliun), and the OE orders are gobbling away from retail market. My dilemma is that I don't even have the 3 degrees of separation of anyone in the true know at GY anymore... September 2021 before my contact ejected with an early retirement offer, he said GY would transfer back into specialty production again after the long stretch of pandemic-fueled SKU rationalization and focus on passenger vehicle tire production. However, that was before Delta+ and Omnicron dominated the scene cycling through labor... Seems the GY pricing just inching up suggesting nothing has changed. Anyone have an insider or knowledge from one?

Not that I'm cheap by any means, but I put 6 top of the line tires on the dually for $2K installed. Four 16" trailer tires are laughable at that cost, especially when I put 614s on friends' coach for $816 with tax, metal stems, and balanced before the pandemic crippling...

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    So dragging this one back up...

Hitting the road again in spring is a must-replace-tires situation... Here in the mountains we have had wild temperature swings this winter. In the course of the same week, below zero to just shy of 50 degF. I noticed one of the 5er tire covers was slack over the weekend and thought the bungee gave up the ghost. Well, not so much. The Westlake G-rated split and air weeped out the carcass. A second is now showing cracks between the tread that were not there at the time of winterizing. Ugh!

Really struggling with the ridiculous tire situation currently, and after talking with knowledgeable folks in the industry choices remain limited. Either GY G614s or another set of Westlakes that gave us just about 14K of scorching to frozen road travel on smooth and easy to rattle your teeth loose roads... What I have trouble with is paying $500/tire for a $200-225 tire in the GYs , and Westlakes at twice their price from 2 years ago... Everyone I could shake out of the industry expects the supply issue to continue through this year, China manufacturing is not financially worthwhile currently for export (Saliun), and the OE orders are gobbling away from retail market. My dilemma is that I don't even have the 3 degrees of separation of anyone in the true know at GY anymore... September 2021 before my contact ejected with an early retirement offer, he said GY would transfer back into specialty production again after the long stretch of pandemic-fueled SKU rationalization and focus on passenger vehicle tire production. However, that was before Delta+ and Omnicron dominated the scene cycling through labor... Seems the GY pricing just inching up suggesting nothing has changed. Anyone have an insider or knowledge from one?

Not that I'm cheap by any means, but I put 6 top of the line tires on the dually for $2K installed. Four 16" trailer tires are laughable at that cost, especially when I put 614s on friends' coach for $816 with tax, metal stems, and balanced before the pandemic crippling...

Go get some Saliuns, I paid $700 for a set. (The recall is over, current stock is made in Vietnam.)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast