Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    So dragging this one back up...

Hitting the road again in spring is a must-replace-tires situation... Here in the mountains we have had wild temperature swings this winter. In the course of the same week, below zero to just shy of 50 degF. I noticed one of the 5er tire covers was slack over the weekend and thought the bungee gave up the ghost. Well, not so much. The Westlake G-rated split and air weeped out the carcass. A second is now showing cracks between the tread that were not there at the time of winterizing. Ugh!

Really struggling with the ridiculous tire situation currently, and after talking with knowledgeable folks in the industry choices remain limited. Either GY G614s or another set of Westlakes that gave us just about 14K of scorching to frozen road travel on smooth and easy to rattle your teeth loose roads... What I have trouble with is paying $500/tire for a $200-225 tire in the GYs , and Westlakes at twice their price from 2 years ago... Everyone I could shake out of the industry expects the supply issue to continue through this year, China manufacturing is not financially worthwhile currently for export (Saliun), and the OE orders are gobbling away from retail market. My dilemma is that I don't even have the 3 degrees of separation of anyone in the true know at GY anymore... September 2021 before my contact ejected with an early retirement offer, he said GY would transfer back into specialty production again after the long stretch of pandemic-fueled SKU rationalization and focus on passenger vehicle tire production. However, that was before Delta+ and Omnicron dominated the scene cycling through labor... Seems the GY pricing just inching up suggesting nothing has changed. Anyone have an insider or knowledge from one?

Not that I'm cheap by any means, but I put 6 top of the line tires on the dually for $2K installed. Four 16" trailer tires are laughable at that cost, especially when I put 614s on friends' coach for $816 with tax, metal stems, and balanced before the pandemic crippling...
    I have been getting my Maxxis tires from Simpletire.com. Of course I haven't checked on prices since the craziness hit, but they have always been very competitive.
    2012 F-250 6.7L Diesel, SRW
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ll third that on Maxxis. I have been using them for years on 6 different campers, and 2 trailers. One set was 8 years old and I still overloaded a 14k trailer and ran 80 with them. They never missed a beat. I have never had one fail me so far. A little more expensive, but worth the peace of mind

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    They were temporarily suspended -not discontinued- due to market conditions in the summer of '21 - catching up on other lines. Endurance tires are being produced as I write this according to a local distributor after talking to his regional contact.
    Nod, we got Goodyears on our coach delivered in November.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the consensus that Sailun has their manufacturing figured out again? I'd like to get a new set of tires for my 351 and want as much "beef" as I can get, the 351 is heavy for a double axle and we often travel with water, fuel and a bike in the back; putting us right around rated GVWR. I see the 235/85's on Walmart for 164/tire right now, in stock; sold by Walmart; seems like a pretty reasonable price, but, before I pull the trigger, wanted to make sure that they seemed to have their s*** back together.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sailun-S6...Tire/430853805

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't heard of any failures lately. Mine were manufactured mid 2021 and doing fine. Let's hope they are back to being a good tire! Obviously check the manufacture date
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    Haven't heard of any failures lately. Mine were manufactured mid 2021 and doing fine. Let's hope they are back to being a good tire! Obviously check the manufacture date
    Good to know, thank JCR. Seems like a pretty reasonable price for them at Walmart, don't you think? I want the 85's to get a touch more height on the RV to try to level things out, nice bonus that also gives a bit more capacity.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    Good to know, thank JCR. Seems like a pretty reasonable price for them at Walmart, don't you think? I want the 85's to get a touch more height on the RV to try to level things out, nice bonus that also gives a bit more capacity.
    Seems like a good price. Simple Tire is $190+ when usually one of the cheapest. Good luck!
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought 4 last July from simple tire. Got a notice from simple tire that there is a recall on Sailun's. Called Sailun with the manufacturing data off the tires to check. They told me that the tires we have are not part of the recall because of the dates on the tires. So apparently they have fixed theproblem and they good once again. Our tires were made in Vietnam and they are still supposed to be good. I feel a lot better about them after having talked to Sailun.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the consensus that Sailun has their manufacturing figured out again? I'd like to get a new set of tires for my 351 and want as much "beef" as I can get, the 351 is heavy for a double axle and we often travel with water, fuel and a bike in the back; putting us right around rated GVWR. I see the 235/85's on Walmart for 164/tire right now, in stock; sold by Walmart; seems like a pretty reasonable price, but, before I pull the trigger, wanted to make sure that they seemed to have their s*** back together.

To me its a show me vs tell me situation. I was a big fan of Sailun's, put them on our last unit. With the issues, recall, and change in manufacturing location, I'm in the wait and see camp. I want to see another year or 2 of history before I would go back. If I had to put a set of 16" tires on today (and I'm glad I don't!)I think I would go with the Hankook Vantra's TH31's. Same weight specs but with a higher speed rating. They are a brand new tire so not much history but a solid brand without any known issues (yet?)

Even the endurance isn't perfect, this is the second one I have heard of, first I actually have seen:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_1820.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	40295
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a word about Walmart. I bought 4 and mounted and balanced at my automotive shop before retirement. Eleven months and two failures later , I contacted Walmart for help while we were traveling. Two different stores and corporate said my tires , my problem. They provide no warranty and no return on tires. They didn’t even want to email me the purchase invoice, which was at home. If you really want to try those tires , I would find a national brick and mortar store to get them. Eventually I did get reimbursed from Sailun , but it was pretty much a struggle.
    Charlie
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast