User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dc to Dc charger

Has anyone installed DC to DC charger? I have new truck with 220 amp alternator amd plan on putting lithium in my 22MLE. Renogy has one that you buy specific for alternator and vectron just has charge rate. Any experience with these? Tim

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I originally installed the Renogy DC-DC charger but it stopped working after the third use. I emailed and called their support and they took about two weeks to get back to me. After three emails from them, they stopped responding. I can't get any support from them now.

I decided to toss their product and purchased a Victron from Battleborn because they are just over the hill from me and they stand behind the products they sell. I've already called them with questions and they said if I have any problems, they want me to bring my truck in and they would take a look.

I have a few other Renogy products (Solar controller, and a few solar panels) and they work fine, but based on their support I won't be buying anymore of their products.

Eric
    2011Chevy Silverado 6.0 2500HD
    2020.5 (White) Reflection 150 Series 260RD
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbarnwell View Post
    Has anyone installed DC to DC charger? I have new truck with 220 amp alternator amd plan on putting lithium in my 22MLE. Renogy has one that you buy specific for alternator and vectron just has charge rate. Any experience with these? Tim
    I use the Renogy 60 amp dc-dc charger and am very happy with it. If you search, you will find many examples of installation and use.
    2018 Reflection 303rls, MORryde IS
    2017 Ford F-350 CC SB SRW 6.7L Diesel
    Blue Ox Super Ride hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaTraveler View Post
    I originally installed the Renogy DC-DC charger but it stopped working after the third use. I emailed and called their support and they took about two weeks to get back to me. After three emails from them, they stopped responding. I can't get any support from them now.
    Eric
    I've experienced poor support from Renogy as well.

I have a Renogy solar briefcase that lost a pin from one of the hinges. I contacted them for a replacement hinge. And after a number of emails over several weeks, they finally replied and insisted I had to send the entire solar briefcase back to have the hinge replaced...at my cost. Ok, no! I McGuyver'd a length of coat hanger to replace the pin and blunted the ends so it wouldn't fall out. The briefcase now has a few more broken parts and I have no faith in contacting Renogy.

BTW, I handle these things carefully.

I'll be looking for a DC-DC charger soon too. Renogy won't be my first choice.
    John & Susan
    2019 F-250 SuperDuty CCSB
    2022 Reflection 297RSTS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! For info

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to know

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With all the issues with covid and finding employee that want to work, it does not surprise me that customer service is poor.

As for a hinge, there is no way I would have called the factory for that. I've got better things to do. Obviously, if it was made right, it would not have broke.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbarnwell View Post
    You might want to check how much actual current you get from the 7-pin. I know on my truck ( '21 F250 7.3 ) I drained my 280ah LFP battery to 50% (so it would take as much charge as was offered) and I was only measuring ~7amps through that 7pin. My alternator is 240 amp, so clearly it was not a limitation of that. If you want more you probably have to do some wiring on the truck side too (not sure for brands other than Ford - but well worth checking out before you take the plunge)
    2020 imagine 2500rl; 2021 F250 Tremor 7.3
    youtube: @bobanddangsjourney

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pushing a lot of current through factory wiring is probably not going to happen and that for certain would hinder the charging. I suspect just to have 40A with a small drop in voltage would need at least a 2g or larger wire/cable.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    Pushing a lot of current through factory wiring is probably not going to happen and that for certain would hinder the charging. I suspect just to have 40A with a small drop in voltage would need at least a 2g or larger wire/cable.
    I used 4 awg wire from the battery to the Renogy dc-dc converter and it can handle the 60 amp charge rate. There is voltage drop but the converter just pulls more current to restore the voltage. The late model Ford Super duty trucks (2017+) limit the the standard tow connection to around 7 amps.
    2018 Reflection 303rls, MORryde IS
    2017 Ford F-350 CC SB SRW 6.7L Diesel
    Blue Ox Super Ride hitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast