User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of the time oil leak

Here's an odd one for the mechanics out there. My tow vehicle is a 2010 Dodge 3500 6.7L Cummins with a six speed manual transmission. Only 60,000 miles. It leaks quite a bit of oil, but only while towing and/or at sustained highways speeds. Driving it around town where it seldom gets above 40 MPH and is not towing anything, not a drop. So, it leaks a lot in the summer when I am towing, and not a bit in the fall, winter and spring when I am not. When it is leaking, it leaks a lot on the tie rod (and from there to the ground), so I's guessing it is the crank seal, but wouldn't a bad crank seal leak all the time? Why would it only leak under load?

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hartcentr View Post
    Here's an odd one for the mechanics out there. My tow vehicle is a 2010 Dodge 3500 6.7L Cummins with a six speed manual transmission. Only 60,000 miles. It leaks quite a bit of oil, but only while towing and/or at sustained highways speeds. Driving it around town where it seldom gets above 40 MPH and is not towing anything, not a drop. So, it leaks a lot in the summer when I am towing, and not a bit in the fall, winter and spring when I am not. When it is leaking, it leaks a lot on the tie rod (and from there to the ground), so I's guessing it is the crank seal, but wouldn't a bad crank seal leak all the time? Why would it only leak under load?
    Check your Turbo... Your issue is with high speed and towing, both conditions where your Turbo is worked harder. Additionally, your Turbo is probably located near the front of the engine somewhere above your Tie Rod.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is also the possibility of too much pressure within the engine itself - and it will find any available seal to leak through. Usually a plugged emissions component. You might check the crankcase ventilation filter and any CCV hose or component. Believe they used the same one from 2007-2022. Oil cooler assembly also could be a source. Personally, I'd look for a plugged CCV component or worn seal (as in o-ring) - cheaper to start with.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    There is also the possibility of too much pressure within the engine itself - and it will find any available seal to leak through. Usually a plugged emissions component. You might check the crankcase ventilation filter and any CCV hose or component. Believe they used the same one from 2007-2022. Oil cooler assembly also could be a source. Personally, I'd look for a plugged CCV component or worn seal (as in o-ring) - cheaper to start with.
    Thanks. I'll give that a try. I doubt it is the Turbo as that is on the passenger side toward the back of the engine...no where near the actual leak spot.

I can get an OEM Cummins CCV on Amazon for $80, which I'd guess is about half what a Dodge dealer would charge. I won't really know if that is what it was until I start towing next summer, but it is supposed to be changed at 67,000 miles anyway, so nothing lost.