User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Norcold Refer not working but Freezer does

We’re on the road in a 399TH. As in the title the Refer stopped cooling, it’s room temp with the doors shut overnight and it was in the 50’s overnight. The Freezer works fine. I defrosted it yesterday, checked the fuse, and the flapper is positioned properly. I set the indicator on the door to 7.

Now, there is a very Tiny red light next to the Refer fuse,…Note it is NOT the bright red light you see when a fuse is blown. I pulled the 15amp refer fuse and it looks fine. I can hear the motor in the unit running so it is getting power.

Any ideas before I call a mobile tech?

Thank you

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RV gas/electric refrigerators don’t have any kind of motor or pump. There are usually one or more cooling fans installed behind the refrigerator that come on when the area gets hot.

Your refrigerator and freezer cool by the same source, so if the freezer is being cooled, the refrigerator is too. Your situation likely points to door seal issues, but measured freezer temperature would be important to start troubleshooting.

Are you running on gas or electric? What model refrigerator?
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply. Running on electric. It’s a Norcold model 2118SST serial number NR047KJ. I don’t think it’s a seal problem, been running for 2 months and just started acting up this weekend. As an update, the freezer is about as cold as the Refer should be, ie not freezing, and the Refer isn’t cold at all. The fan is running, I can hear it.
    Last edited by Lee78015; 10-31-2021 at 11:11 AM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try it on LP gas.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Try it on LP gas.
    Thanks Jerry. I’ll try that.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee78015 View Post
    We’re on the road in a 399TH. As in the title the Refer stopped cooling, it’s room temp with the doors shut overnight and it was in the 50’s overnight. The Freezer works fine. I defrosted it yesterday, checked the fuse, and the flapper is positioned properly. I set the indicator on the door to 7.

Now, there is a very Tiny red light next to the Refer fuse,…Note it is NOT the bright red light you see when a fuse is blown. I pulled the 15amp refer fuse and it looks fine. I can hear the motor in the unit running so it is getting power.

Any ideas before I call a mobile tech?

Thank you
    I know the first time we defrosted our Norcold it took a long time for it to recover. Longer than it takes to cool it down initially (it can be 8-12 hours).

Now, we turn it off, and quickly use the warm water bath to get the frost out. Then we turn it back on as quickly as we can. It still warms up some before actually getting back to "cold" again.

Also, check the fins in the fridge part. If they're iced up, it stops the fridge from cooling down (I know, counter-intuitive, right?)
    Last edited by livinthelife; 10-31-2021 at 01:18 PM.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the idea. It was in the 50’s and ran all night.

QUOTE=livinthelife;401085]I know the first time we defrosted our Norcold it took a long time for it to recover. Longer than it takes to cool it down initially (it can be 8-12 hours).

Now, we turn it off, and quickly use the warm water bath to get the frost out. Then we turn it back on as quickly as we can. It still warms up some before actually getting back to "cold" again.

Also, check the fins in the fridge part. If they're iced up, it stops the fridge from cooling down (I know, counter-intuitive, right?)[/QUOTE]

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enter into diagnostic mode clear any trouble codes, and reset. I wager you'll be back to normal soon after.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. I'm not sure what you mean by "diagnostic" mode. There's a small display about the size of your little finger on the front but only 3 buttons, On/Off, Gas/Elec, and Temp.

Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Enter into diagnostic mode clear any trouble codes, and reset. I wager you'll be back to normal soon after.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee78015 View Post
    Thank you. I'm not sure what you mean by "diagnostic" mode. There's a small display about the size of your little finger on the front but only 3 buttons, On/Off, Gas/Elec, and Temp.
    Sparing my time to write out the instructions
    , I instead found a video for you:

https://youtu.be/VtDVlY7vhyU
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast