User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool West Yellowstone from Denver -- Hwy 287?

Anyone have an easy route into West Yellowstone from Denver? We have never been up that way and really don't know what to expect. I was looking at Hwy 287 into Grizzly outside of Denver. Is that a good way or is there a better way? Trying to avoid high switchbacks, you know, the scary stuff that long rigs should stay away from. You know - the stuff you want to stay away from so your wife wont die from fright.
    Dean and Cindy
    2014 337 RLS
    Firestone Ride - Rite Airbags
    Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been a very long time since I drove 287, and long before I even thought about an RV, so...

First, we've had a LOT of rain up here. You definitely want to check with CO DOT to make sure the roads aren't flooded! Also, we made a trip to Yellowstone 1.5 years ago (again, pre-RV) at another high-water mark. 287 wasn't even an option then. The good news is that you don't lose too much just taking I-25 to Cheyenne and then I-80 across Wyoming (I wouldn't take I-70, but that's just me.) If you haven't driven I-80, a word of warning: gas up every chance you get! Also, watch for high wind warnings. We took 189 out of Rock Springs, but we were going to Grand Teton first. It gets a little narrow in places (and again, I wasn't really looking at it for an RV trip.)
    Other options:
    Keep taking I-25 up to Casper and cut over. That road was pretty good, altho once again watch out for high wind. You'd have to cut through the park to get to the west side.
    Take I-25 all the way to I-90. I don't know how far out of the way that takes you, but you get to stay on interstate almost the whole way.
    Take I-80 to I-15. Probably further south than you want to go, but again, interstate.

Whichever way you go, I hope you have a lot of time planned for Yellowstone. We spent over a week checking out the park, and still didn't get everything in!
    Ussuri Bruin (and his owners)
    2014 Ram Laramie Mega Cab 3500 DRW
    24K Pull-Rite SuperGlide Hitch
    2015 Momentum 380TH

Steve and Lynne
    We did this from north to south and loved the scenery. We towed our Reflection 337 with no drama as I remember. We took 287 south to Rawlins but because we had a relaxed time frame, we went to the hot springs in Thermopolis, public springs are free and very nice! The only complication there is that you need to do a few block detour for a low bridge, but it is fairly well marked. Patience is a virtue here, but worth it! You might want to try the Longhorn RV Park in Dubois, WY. Some people were talking about a Grand Design rendezvous there. We haven't stayed there yet but it's in the plans! I hope you have a great time, Wyoming is a totally awesome state.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    287 is my normal route up there. I-80 is ok, but just for a short time going from Laramie to Rawlins and then get off and get heading north again. Get off I-25 from Denver in Fort Collins and go over to 287 there.
    18 Momentum 376TH
    13 GMC Dually Duramax Denali
    08 Kawasaki ZG1400 Concours

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got it. Thanks WRP75, Steve/Lynn and tmm2good. We do have 2 weeks to see the park. Really looking forward to it. Will fill up early and often.
    Dean and Cindy
    2014 337 RLS
    Firestone Ride - Rite Airbags
    Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel