Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jaboni Solar Charge Controller Buzzes

Noticed a new development with the factory MPPT controller - in full sun and when connected to shore power, there is a loud buzzing emanating from the controller. I'm pretty certain its coming from the controller - I put my hand on it and felt a fine vibration. If a cloud passes over, the buzzing quits. Batteries (two 200ah LiFePO4) are fully charged when this has occurred and inverter has also been on. Haven't had the opportunity to look into it further as the rig is currently at the dealer for other warranty work and it only started doing a few days before dropping off - while we out camping. I did have the rig at home for just a day or two before taking it into the dealer, but I didn't connect to shore power. No buzzing over those two days. Dealer could not duplicate the buzzing, but said solar panel was not getting direct/full sun when they were able to plug into 50a. I also don't know what the charge status of the batteries were at that time (I have a Bluetooth monitor only). The inverter may have been off, too, when the dealer was assessing.

Any ideas? Is it even of concern?
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    Any ideas? Is it even of concern?
    Personally I would be concerned. The only way there could be a buzzing sound or vibration is if something inside of it is moving, and since as far as I know, the controller doesn't have a speaker, whatever is moving probably should not be moving. If the controller does have a speaker then it could be a short somewhere sending a small signal to it.
    I would try to make a recording on my phone to show to the dealer since Murphy will make sure it is cloudy next time you take it in.
    You could also make the problem go away by throwing money at it and get a Renogy MPPT controller (or something similar). The older I get the more this option sounds attractive.
    Good luck with this issue no matter what you do.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2021 Ram 2500 Hemi, Crew Cab Short Bed
    2-206 AH SOK Batteries, Victron MultiPlus 3000VA Inverter, 800 watts solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vibration from a PC board is almost always a loose connection. Could be a loose mounting screw, or even a loose wire lug, but that's unlikely.
    My money is on a cold solder joint on one of the coupling transformer mounting pads. Easily fixed if you have any soldering experience.
    It probably won't cause the controller to stop working, but odds are the buzz will get worse over time.
    MB, Ab and Ufki (under foot kitty)
    '18 RAM Laramie Cummins HO
    '19 303RLS