User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cabinet Wrinkle questions

We purchased our 303RLS in April and noticed wrinkling in the cabinet stiles and rails. It's all over the place....even the entire bathroom vanity needs to be replaced. The only post that I find on this is from 2014. Has anyone else had this problem recently and was it fixed? Went to our local dealer where we purchased our rig, they did a warranty request, which Grand Design approved. Over 30 hours are needed for the fix. Feeling very uneasy about the dealership tearing apart our new rig...Grand Design doesn't seem too concerned. They are certain the dealership can take care of it. Anyone know how hard of a fix this is to do ourselves (built our own home, literally, so pretty capable). My husband has been eye-balling the cabinets so I see a diy fix in the thought process Any ideas, recommendations, names of people to contact, etc. would be very appreciated.
    Last edited by valandsheri; 11-02-2021 at 04:48 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by valandsheri View Post
    We purchased our 303RLS in April and noticed wrinkling in the cabinet stiles and rails. It's all over the place....even the entire bathroom vanity needs to be replaced. The only post that I find on this is from 2014. Has anyone else had this problem recently and was it fixed? Went to our local dealer where we purchased our rig, they did a warranty request, which Grand Design approved. Over 30 hours are needed for the fix. Feeling very uneasy about the dealership tearing apart our new rig...Grand Design doesn't seem too concerned. They are certain the dealership can take care of it. Anyone know how hard of a fix this is to do ourselves (built our own home, literally, so pretty capable). My husband has been eye-balling the cabinets so I see a diy fix in the thought process Any ideas, recommendations, names of people to contact, etc. would be very appreciated.
    Can you post pictures? it is a little hard to evaluate based on your description. If the work to be done is all over the place, it is hard to imagine 30 hours being adequate. Many pocket screws holding the face frames together are not accessible without first de-installing the cabinets. If the dealer is just replacing a couple of wall cabinets, no big deal. If the dealer has to remove base cabinets and counter tops, that is a little more delicate repair since the counter tops are silicone sealed to the walls and contain plumbing, electrical and HVAC.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Five or six years ago there were some issues with the vinyl wrap peeling with changes in humidity. A long-time forum member lived in Arizona and had to send their unit back to the factory to have everything redone. It's not rocket science, but if GD and the dealership are willing to take care of it, I would certainly not be interested in doing it myself - too many hours involved.

BTW - Welcome to the forum! You can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Photos of Crinkles and Wrinkles

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your reply and here are some photos of the wrinkling. The system will only let me send 5 photos but most of the stiles and rails have this same problem. Sorry about the photos not being turned the correct direction. Operator error.

It's not that it's an earth-shattering issue, it's just sad to have paid this much for a beautiful RV and have to look at the poor workmanship. I do worry that it will eventually crack and tear and would love to have it fixed without further damage.

Thank you again -

Sheri
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bathroom (1)(1).jpg   Rear Cupboard 2(1).jpg   Bathroom (11)(1).jpg   Bathroom (12)(1).jpg   Hutch side(1).jpg  

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply and your welcome to the Forum! As soon as I am done with this I will head over to the Edit Signature department and create one.

Sheri

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...Sorry about the photos not being turned the correct direction. Operator error.

Sheri
    Not operator error - it's a known glitch in the system.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Frank,

... Sorry about the photos not being turned the correct direction. Operator error.

Thank you again -

Sheri
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Not operator error - it's a known glitch in the system.

Rob
    The easy fix is, before downloading photos to forum, do a minor modification to the picture (I typically just remove a row of pixels), save it it correct orientation, and it'll post right side up.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had that same issue or my last trailer (Forrest River). I took a wet paper towel and the wife's clothes iron and ran it over the paper towel a few times and it reactivated the glue and smoothed it out. It wasn't perfect but better. I think it's caused by humidity but who knows?
    I had to experiment with the heat setting a little to get the outcome I could live with.

I had photos of what I did but when I sold that rig I deleted them all. Sorry.
    2020 Reflection 29RS 5th Wheel
    2019 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Frank,

Thanks for your reply and here are some photos of the wrinkling. The system will only let me send 5 photos but most of the stiles and rails have this same problem. Sorry about the photos not being turned the correct direction. Operator error.

It's not that it's an earth-shattering issue, it's just sad to have paid this much for a beautiful RV and have to look at the poor workmanship. I do worry that it will eventually crack and tear and would love to have it fixed without further damage.

Thank you again -

Sheri
    While that's annoying it is a relatively minor issue. Hopefully all they have to replace are stiles and rails here and there and won't have to tear out the cabinets. The laminate on my interior bottom radius step started to peel away and I had the dealership replace it. They did an excellent job in workmanship but never noticed that they took out a black radius step tread and replaced it with a dark brown step tread instead of black. I cover them with custom cut pieces of floor carpet so I decided to live with it. It wasn't peeling at the edges or anything it just seemed to shrink up... I probably should have just colored the edge with a black sharpie and been done with it. ��

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20211102-172312_Photos.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	37550
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disappointing for sure. On our relative new 295RL, we discovered the back side of the sliding door into the bedroom became wrinkled. We finally took the door off and found that the wrinkling was because the door is wrapped with contact paper! We laid the door flat and took a heat gun on low temp and warmed up the wrinkles then used a roller to flatten them. When everything looked better, we let the door alone but two days later, the wrinkles reappeared. After this disappointment, we decided to leave the door off and we actually like it better that way. Gives us a bit more room at the foot of the bed and makes it easier to reach the light switch which GD installed in the middle of the wall making it hard to reach with the door in the way. Other RV's we have had used a luan type wood laminated to the door core. GD's use of contact paper really cheapens their quality in my opinion.
    John and Karyn
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    2020 Reflection 150 Series 295RL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast