User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    There's more to towing than a hitch receiver and wiring - spring and tire packages (for payload), transmission coolers, final gear ratios, and a bunch of other stuff. There's a lot of good educational material in this thread in the Reference Library:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ing-Capability

Rob
    Yes, the numbers involved are dizzying for newbies. Thanks very much for the additional link...We still have a lot of reading up to do, I think!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2021 Imagine 2600RB which has a GAVR of 7800. I WAS pulling it with a 2021 Tundra with a 5.7L gasoline engine. It met all the specs and everything but the engine was stressed just going over overpasses on the Interstate. It would downshift the 6-speed transmission and go to 3rd gear and 4000 RPM. The engine only had 400+ FP of torque. My conclusion is that at least 600 FP of torque is needed...not because of weight necessarily but due to wind resistance. If you are in a mountainous area the problem could be exponentially worst. I bought a Ford F-250 with a 6.7L diesel (which is probably an overkill) and I no longer have the problem.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To the OP…

Your truck is fine for that trailer. We have a 2014 Ram EcoDiesel and tow a 2400BH and with it loaded for camping it is approaching 7000lbs with a tongue weight approaching 900 lbs. Running across the CAT scales I know that we’re under Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) and the weight distribution hitch transfers all but 20 pounds back to the front axle. It’s a very stable rig and the diesel returns excellent mileage fairly effortlessly.

What you WILL need for the Ram is a set of Sumo Springs or in-coil air bags. The Ram gives a great ride for a truck but the factory coils don’t support a load very well, even with a good weight distribution hitch.

I happen to have a set is Sumo Springs available for a Ram if anyone’s interested in a good deal on a VERY lightly used set. Send me a DM.

Bob
    2019 Imagine 2400BH
    Progressive Industries Hardwired EMS, RV Airflow, MicroAir EasyStart, MaxxAir Fan
    2021 Ram 1500 Bighorn EcoDiesel CC short bed
    Anderson Weight Distribution Hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwalthall View Post
    We have a 2021 Imagine 2600RB which has a GAVR of 7800. I WAS pulling it with a 2021 Tundra with a 5.7L gasoline engine. It met all the specs and everything but the engine was stressed just going over overpasses on the Interstate. It would downshift the 6-speed transmission and go to 3rd gear and 4000 RPM. The engine only had 400+ FP of torque. My conclusion is that at least 600 FP of torque is needed...not because of weight necessarily but due to wind resistance. If you are in a mountainous area the problem could be exponentially worst. I bought a Ford F-250 with a 6.7L diesel (which is probably an overkill) and I no longer have the problem.
    Thanks so much for your input...We ended up purchasing a Ford Expedition, and have hopefully covered the specs necessary. I appreciate everyone's help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12