User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Lug nuts

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost all car manufacturers have what I call a verniered lug nut. Corrosion gets between the lug nut itself and the verniered cover and causes it to swell (causes it to split at the base and work it’s way outward over time). Within a year or two most will have this issue. Faster if it’s sees a lot of dirt roads. I have worked in a domestic car dealer 30+ years and have first hand experience with this problematic issue. I always advise customers to switch them out to a solid lug nut before this takes place. I don’t like to have to spend the money to make this upgrade although if I had a flat on the side of the road I would do it in a heartbeat.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    I use anti-seize on my boat trailers, and so did my mechanic. I've had to replace all four rotors on my truck when the dealership over-tightened the lugs after a tire rotation. I rotate my tires at home and if I need to have them removed for any reason I take them off and bring them in whenever possible rather than depend on the shop to not cause issues. I don't think most mechanics actually check with a torque wrench. They may have their impact wrench set to a specific torque but I'm pretty sure they don't change the setting with every car that comes in. Bottom line, I've never lost a wheel, I've never witnessed the loss of a wheel, and I've never known anyone that lost a wheel due to lug nut failure. I've owned numerous things with wheels; trucks, cars, travel trailers, motorhomes, boat trailers, and utility trailers. I have seen a few wheel bearing failures though - not mine thanks to good maintenance. I think if a person is diligent in getting the lugs good and tight, and checks them after the first 100 miles or so, you're okay regardless of all the bickering over who has the expertise or has torque wrench experience.
    Anti-seize has its benefits with reduced needed torque, less corrosion and improved stud tension (when proper torque is used) due to less variability in friction. The down side is when mechanics use dry torque specification when anti seize was previously used the risk of over tensioning increases and can damage rotors and when wheel needs to be changed on the road lugs can't be loosened. Also there is more friction from the nut face than the nut/stud threads so it does matter if one or both surfaces are lubricated. When torque is specified as dry what really is meant is "as found" in other words not perfectly clean surfaces. Very clean surface has more friction than as found.

Mechanics commonly use torque sticks attached to impact guns to set the torque so that impact gun supply pressure is less critical to getting reasonable torque.

I mostly recheck lug nut torque when others have worked on my equipment. I have had three sets of lug nuts over tightened by a factor of more than two by different shops in the last five years and I don't use anti seize on lug nuts.
    Last edited by TimtheToolMan; 11-13-2021 at 07:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh lord how did all of us shade tree mechanics survive to see old age with never ever using a torque wrench on our car wheels, it is amazing we survived.
    2021 Reflection 150 295RL
    2018 GMC 2500HD Denali Diesel 4x4

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimtheToolMan View Post
    Anti-seize has its benefits with reduced needed torque, less corrosion and improved stud tension (when proper torque is used) due to less variability in friction. The down side is when mechanics use dry torque specification when anti seize was previously used the risk of over tensioning increases and can damage rotors and when wheel needs to be changed on the road lugs can't be loosened. Also there is more friction from the nut face than the nut/stud threads so it does matter if one or both surfaces are lubricated. When torque is specified as dry what really is meant is "as found" in other words not perfectly clean surfaces. Very clean surface has more friction than as found.

Mechanics commonly use torque sticks attached to impact guns to set the torque so that impact gun supply pressure is less critical to getting reasonable torque.

I mostly recheck lug nut torque when others have worked on my equipment. I have had three sets of lug nuts over tightened by a factor of more than two by different shops in the last five years and I don't use anti seize on lug nuts.
    I've always rechecked the tire lug nuts after having a tire/tires changed. I have had a couple tires on my daughter's car with lug nuts that could barely be loosened with a 25" breaker bar. How would a person ever get those loose if they had to change a tire by the side of the road? I've always heard the junior guy at the shop gets the job changing tires, so maybe that's the reason. Pretty crazy.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    With the serial number of your axle (on the label that's stuck onto the axle), you can request all the detail part info, down to the lug nut size, from Dexter. I did and found it to be very helpful when sourcing parts, etc.

Also, I found the lug nut size is actually stamped on the side of the nut. 9/16-18 in my case:
    Attachment 37648

I'm planning to go with these as McGard was recommended in another discussion (unless someone advises otherwise):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000COTX9I...v_ov_lig_pi_dp
    There are a few different shapes on the face of lug nuts, make sure you buy the correct one for your wheel.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_av8r View Post
    Oh lord how did all of us shade tree mechanics survive to see old age with never ever using a torque wrench on our car wheels, it is amazing we survived.
    LOL! One would think we'd be dodging wheels all day long driving down the highway.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a few different shapes on the face of lug nuts, make sure you buy the correct one for your wheel.
    Right! 60-deg conical seat for my wheel:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lug2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	37691
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is true, around Memphis here its just random parts flying off cars
    2021 Reflection 150 295RL
    2018 GMC 2500HD Denali Diesel 4x4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234