User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lug nuts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lug nuts

The lug nuts on our 303RLS have a thin metal sleeve that makes them look shiny. This sleeve tends to crack and slip making it nearly impossible to remove the lug nut. While replacing these with solid nuts I found that nearly half of them had cracked. I recommend taking a look.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree-it’s a bad day (flat) that gets much worse (stripped lug nut heads). Get’em off while you can. Curious, did u use anti seize on the new solid nuts?

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good info to consider! Same goes with tow vehicles lug nuts. Nothing like being on the side of the road trying to fix a flat and cant get the nut off, or the nut out of the socket.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
    Curious, did u use anti seize on the new solid nuts?
    Careful if you do. Changes the required torque on the nuts. (dry torque/wet torque)
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, great point. My understanding is the anti seize is for the face of the cone nut so it does not corrode and bind to the aluminum wheel. It is not to be used on the threads.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
    Oh, great point. My understanding is the anti seize is for the face of the cone nut so it does not corrode and bind to the aluminum wheel. It is not to be used on the threads.
    Hmm, I've read just the opposite: anti-seize on the threads and avoid the mating surface.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would explain why y have a such a mess on my rims then…thanks for correcting

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bekkenr View Post
    The lug nuts on our 303RLS have a thin metal sleeve that makes them look shiny. This sleeve tends to crack and slip making it nearly impossible to remove the lug nut. While replacing these with solid nuts I found that nearly half of them had cracked. I recommend taking a look.
    I agree and there have been numerous threads on the forum regarding this.

Welcome to the forum! You can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once you have added a friction modifier to the threads, be it oil or anti-seize, you will be over torquing your lug nuts if you go by your torque wrench setting. 110ftlbs would end up being something like 120 or 125ftlbs. Over torque too much and you weaken, or break the stud. Like I did on my truck a couple years ago.

Below is a copy and paste, not my words.
    Dry torque is a Torque specification given to a fastner that has no lubrication added--this is most bolts and most applications.

Wet Torque is a Torque specification given to a fastner that lubrication is needed/added -- this is for spark plugs, fastners in very high temperatures, corrosive conditions and also heavy equipment "tracks"

When applying torque to a dry bolt more friction is created than applying torque to a wet bolt with oil or other automotive fluids on the threads. With less friction (wet threads), the bolt will stretch more before a torque wench will click. Because friction is such a big factor in bolt torque, it is important to know the difference between applying torque to a dry bolt and a wet bolt. Using oil, anti-seize or other types of thread lubricant is a common practice, but an understanding that wet threads require less torque than dry threads because of friction is very important.

Or if you want to read a lot about it.
    https://www.hextechnology.com/articl...ricant-torque/
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bekkenr View Post
    What are the size of the nuts?
    I would like to get them replaced to not need to deal with it later.

Thanx
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast