User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Renogy 2000w inverter question

I have a renogy 2000w pure sine inverter connected to my solar setup (400w) and two 100ah LiFePo4 batteries.

I attempted to run the inverter to test the new system. Everything went well until I ran the microwave. It popped the supplied 40a ANL fuse. I realized my microwave may require more than 40a to run so my question is...

Can I use a 100a ANL fuse to power the microwave as intended or will this hurt the inverter?

I checked the device and manual and is doesn't state what amperage fuse to use or what is the max fuse recommended.

Fyi, the fuse came with the kit but it is not attached to the device itself it's a on-line fuse between the battery and inverter.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MnemonicGhost View Post
    I have a renogy 2000w pure sine inverter connected to my solar setup (400w) and two 100ah LiFePo4 batteries.

I attempted to run the inverter to test the new system. Everything went well until I ran the microwave. It popped the supplied 40a ANL fuse. I realized my microwave may require more than 40a to run so my question is...

Can I use a 100a ANL fuse to power the microwave as intended or will this hurt the inverter?

I checked the device and manual and is doesn't state what amperage fuse to use or what is the max fuse recommended.

Fyi, the fuse came with the kit but it is not attached to the device itself it's a on-line fuse between the battery and inverter.
    From my husband, who understands this kind of stuff (not me, obviously):

To run a microwave you would need about a 120a fuse on the battery side of the inverter. And you would probably need to use 4 gage wire between the batteries and inverter. Assuming your inverter is close to the batteries.

We only have a 750w Renogy inverter and we don't run the microwave on it.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't recommend upping the fuse that much, maybe a 50 amp, just make sure the wire can handle it.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    From my husband, who understands this kind of stuff (not me, obviously):

To run a microwave you would need about a 120a fuse on the battery side of the inverter. And you would probably need to use 4 gage wire between the batteries and inverter. Assuming your inverter is close to the batteries.

We only have a 750w Renogy inverter and we don't run the microwave on it.
    I thank you for the reply.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same one runs my microwave just fine out of the box never popped a fuse .
    Draws 1500 watts when on .

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you have it hooked to your camper ?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked back at the manual and included parts. I found out there shouldn't be a in line fuse at all. However, I have some 80, 100, and 125 in line fuses laying around so I'll give them a shot.

I have 2 gauge wire so I think I'll limit the fuse to 100a just to be on the safe side. However, again it recommends no in line fuse for the install.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A microwave that is rated at 1500 Watts on 120 volts is going to be pulling right at 120 Amps on the DC side of things to feed the inverter.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it pops the 100a then I'll give the 125a a shot... But I emailed renogy and they also said there is no need for a in line fuse with that inverter... So at this point it's over kill on my side bc I have multiple breakers and 2 fuses and a shut off switch in my solar setup... This last fuse is not needed just peace of mind I guess.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked back at the manual and included parts. I found out there shouldn't be a in line fuse at all. However, I have some 80, 100, and 125 in line fuses laying around so I'll give them a shot.

I have 2 gauge wire so I think I'll limit the fuse to 100a just to be on the safe side. However, again it recommends no in line fuse for the install.
    Fuses serve two purposes, One, they protect the device(s) on the circuit and Two, they protect the wires supplying the energy to the circuit (in case there is a short somewhere along the wire's path).

Every circuit should be protected by a fuse that is less than, or equal to the amount of current (at the voltage) that the wire (or cable) can safely handle. How much current a wire can handle is carefully calculated and can be determined by the Wire Sizing Chart I have attached below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Color Wire Size Chart.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	37615

Your whole system should be protected right at the battery (within 6 inches) by a fuse that matches the largest cable/load in your system Usually, this is the Inverter load (if you have a separate Charger/Converter you need to make sure this does not charge at a higher amperage than your Inverter draws [if that is the case, fuse {and cable} for your Charger]).

Parts of the previous posts seem to suggest throwing any available fuse you have laying around into your circuit to see which one won't blow when you are using your microwave. This is not the safest approach. You need to determine the maximum 12 volt draw that your Inverter can pull from your batteries and ensure your cabling and fusing meets or exceeds that amperage draw.

You have a 2000 Watt Inverter, with the capability to provide 4000 Watts of surge power. Based on your Inverter's wattage, you should be cabled with 2/0 (two ought) cable, along with a 200 amp fuse (always cable and fuse to the max draw of your device). You have to remember that you may have something else running on the Inverter while you are running the microwave and that will cause your 100 or 120 amp fuse to blow because the Inverter will try to supply power all the way up to it's max 2,000 Watt limit.

The above is based on a calculated Inverter draw of 167 Amps (2000 Watts / 12 volts = 167 amps).
    Last edited by SolarPoweredRV; 11-09-2021 at 11:15 AM.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast