User Tag List

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow our 2022 350G with our 2020 F350 6.7 LB and it tows like a dream. While I know a dually would be even better, I have no issues with our F350 and we are well within our limits plus more and it has towed like a dream from the dealership home (400 miles) and the couple of trips we have taken. HOWEVER, we have a toyhauler so we can change our pin weight a bit with toys in the back compared to the 378 you are looking at. we have 4200 lbs of payload on the F350 as well. Again, you will be really close just on pin weight alone with the 378 so I'd look at 350 dually of f450 just to make sure you were good. Heck, if I didn't put so much money into my F350 already, I'd probably go with an F450 now just because and it would have nothing to do with me worried about my F350.
    2022 Momentum 350G - all upgrades minus 3 season doors
    2020 F350 Lariat Sport 6.7 CCLB FX4 - 3.5" Carli Pintop Suspension System - Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 w/Wireless One - 68 Gallon S&B Fuel Tank
    2022 CanAm Maverick X3 Max X RS Turbo RR w/Smart-Shox (on order)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An SRW 1ton - whatever brand - will work well for you. A DRW 1ton will be more stable and this will become apparent in cross winds etc.
    If it's going to be your daily driver, and you live in an area where you get snow, DRW's suck in the snow.
    As for transmissions, the Aisin trans in the Dodge is as tough or tougher than any out there.
    Seeing as you say you are new to 5th wheels, when spec'ing out your truck, payload (pin weight plus people) is the important number to be concerned with.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corzo99 View Post
    Yes, that was a typo.

MC
    A little friendly forum hint, select reply with quoote (lower right corner of each post) when replying to a specific post and the person quoted will be notified you replied .

This might help you understand how to pick out the right tow vehicle for the job https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ing-Capability

If it were me hauling around a 40+ ft trailer I would get the dually, you will be on the road often and no matter how hard you try justify a SRW the Dually is a less stressful tow for a large trailer. Especially in the wind or mountains.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow my 372WB just fine with my 21 F350 SRW. Towed it fine with my 13 F350 SRW as well.
    2019 Solitude 372WB FBP loaded
    2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 FX4 Long Bed Rapid Red
    1970 Plymouth Roadrunner
    1968 Dodge Charger

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corzo99 View Post
    Thank you Rob.

We don't do weekend trips anymore. We will use the 5th wheel to go up and down the west coast, Alaska etc for 6 months out of the year.

I can afford a dually but I don't want to have too much truck if I can help it and still be OK towing up and down hills.

I like the Dodge Dually better than Ford but I read that the tranny in the Ford is better and Dodge may be coming with an Allison soon. Idk for sure...

I appreciate your feedback.

MC
    If you're going to be gone 6 months, your probably going to want to take it all with you. That's going be a lot of weight. Id seriously look at a dually.
    It seems that every trip I take, I need to bring more with me-tools, parts etc. I'm so glad I have the dually, & don't have to worry about weight & especially in Az. & Nv. with their winds.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no thing as "too much truck". Said by many already, but it can't be repeated enough. The "more truck" you add, no matter what, the more comfortable, controlled, and "easy" the towing becomes. I've had a 7K landscape trailer for years, towed it with about 5 different trucks and SUVs. F150 was good, F250 better, F450, better still. The more truck you put in front of a trailer, the better it's going to tow, without, IMHO, any real exceptions. Sure, the F150 was "fine", and I'd tow that trailer any day with a 150 without a seconds hesitation. But, at the same time, there are some situations, without question, I could get into where I'd have an accident or issue with the 150 and wouldn't with the 450. It stops faster, it's more stable, it's heavier, so if something hits me, I'll feel less of it than in a smaller/lighter truck.

I tow my 351M in the mountains; both with a 250 and now 450. Yes, there's a difference. IMHO, it's a big difference, you'd know it within the first mile of driving if you were in the dually or SRW. It's simply better in every single regard. Now, unhook the trailer and put a few inches of snow on the ground, I'd be begging you for my 250 back, so it's not all positives. But once that trailer hits the pin, IMHO, it's basically all "better" in a dually vs a SRW.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After 25 years of RVing, I will never tow without a dually. Since we live in Colorado 1/2 the time, I also insist upon 4X4.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be purchasing a Silverado 3500 HD Duramax LB DW as a new tow vehicle for our Imagine 2970RL. Getting the most truck for what we may own in the future. Immediate goal is to get something now so the DW will feel comfortable driving/towing the Imagine.

So I agree that there is no such thing as too much truck. Unless you get more than you can afford.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want to engage in a DRW vs SRW battle, but comparing an F-250 and an F-450 is not as much a DRW vs SRW discussion as it is a 1 ton versus 3/4 ton discussion. An F-250 can never meet the tow requirements of a 351M.

As for "no such thing as too much truck", I would point to the law of diminishing returns and more doesn't always mean better. There are pros and cons for both SRW and DRW. Everything is a trade off. It depends on the requirements and what is important to the user.
    Last edited by BobKilmer; 11-07-2021 at 03:39 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As of 13,000 miles on our 2021 6.7 DRW mileage breaks down as such.

17.5 mpg avg with nothing behind or in the bed

12 mpg avg with a 4200 lb Lance truck camper and pulling a 20 ft alum fishing boat (3000 lbs)

10 mpg avg in the West pulling a Solitude 310GK-R

11.5 mpg avg in Midwest pulling the above solitude.

On that note, our Texas friend uses a 2018 F250 6.7L Crew Cab with suspension upgrades (only makes the ride smoother, does nothing for GVWR) with a Solitude 380FL. I would NOT recommend that. I'm sure he's overweight.
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast