User Tag List

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We recently bought a Solitude 390RK-R. Previously we pulled a 41-1/2 foot Sandpiper with our Sierra 3500 HD DRW diesel. We weigh at the beginning of almost every trip so we know how our load is distributed. I feel a lot safer with the extra set of tires on the rear axle when the rear GAW is 7360 lbs. Of course the extra weight of a dually and additional cargo in the bed accounts for some of that, but I have some leeway with a 2900 lb pin weight on a 15,000 lb 5th-wheel. A SRW will pull it, but at 15000 lbs +, you may be getting close to the limit on a SRW's tires rather than a DRW.

Just know the max load for your tires and anticipate your pin weight to be 20% of the loaded weight of your RV (mine was 19.5%). My dry weight was 13,089. My loaded weight was 15,000, meaning I had 1900 lbs of coolers, groceries, bicycles, clothes, fishing gear, dishes, junk in the basement, tools, etc. It adds up quick. Everything in the RV accounted for 12% of the total weight. Do the math and be safe. Always weigh if you are in doubt. Getting in an accident and being over gross on anything only gives the other person the ammo they need to "lawyer-up" and ruin what started out to be a relaxing trip.

Not an expert, just my thoughts and personal experience.
    Last edited by Dpetherton; 11-16-2021 at 02:47 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DECelt View Post
    I understand the logic behind DRW tow vehicles, but I don't want one. If I were to go with a larger or heavier Solitude then I would be looking at an F450 SRW.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    Ford does not make a F450 SRW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Momentum 395MS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Technically you can make a Super Single F450 but it's not leaving the dealer that way.

I would use this tire, and probably find a rim with the proper offset so the rear width matches the wide track front axle. It will hold as much (more actually) as the factory 225/70R19.5 Duals.

https://www.goodyeartrucktires.com/t...ng=-75.9985693

You would have to buy or have a fender flare for the rear fabricated. Unless you are a flatbed or other custom job on the back.

But then you are in a spare only fits front or back, not both situation.

In my case I took my 250 and put 19.5s on it as they, in a single configuration are close enough to the actual axle capacity.
    2019 GD Momentum 397TH
    Considering a 395
    99 Ford F-250, 7.3, 6-speed.
    22 Ford F-450
    Former Fulltimers, now just using toy hauler to go to Motocross Races and Mountain Bike parks.
    Va Beach, VA

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CX500T View Post
    Technically you can make a Super Single F450 but it's not leaving the dealer that way.

I would use this tire, and probably find a rim with the proper offset so the rear width matches the wide track front axle. It will hold as much (more actually) as the factory 225/70R19.5 Duals.

https://www.goodyeartrucktires.com/t...ng=-75.9985693

You would have to buy or have a fender flare for the rear fabricated. Unless you are a flatbed or other custom job on the back.

But then you are in a spare only fits front or back, not both situation.

In my case I took my 250 and put 19.5s on it as they, in a single configuration are close enough to the actual axle capacity.
    Would kinda defeat the purpose for people who want a SRW...most folks don't want the flairs-let alone carry two spares
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you did it with a DRW350 you'd get the heavier axle, but common spare is why I went 19.5s all around on my 250.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    2019 GD Momentum 397TH
    Considering a 395
    99 Ford F-250, 7.3, 6-speed.
    22 Ford F-450
    Former Fulltimers, now just using toy hauler to go to Motocross Races and Mountain Bike parks.
    Va Beach, VA

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
    There are always what ifs. The biggest fear of mine is trying to brake downhill on a turn.....not something anyone does on purpose unless on the interstate and it just has to be done. I've seen too many piled up due to the arse (didn't realize I couldn't type arse correctly and got the **** no-no) end getting pushed out the side from not having trailer brakes properly adjusted or operational etc etc.

I've always driven trucks with training wheels so I'm a tad biased. I've heard the 'turning radius' and "I can't park it" bs for years. Just recently stretched my short bed mega to a long bed. It parks just fine with proper planning. LOL
    That exact situation is what got me to trade in my 2019 250 for a 450 to tow my 351M. The 250 was "fine" even "good" in most towing situations, but coming downhill, hard on the exhaust brake, it just felt "loose". And I dreaded downhills with turns at the end of them; pretty common in the areas we camp (mountains). Nothing bad ever happened, but there's a whole lot of force trying to push the a** out from under you in that situation, and if it goes, you're not recovering, it's gonna jackknife and mess the truck and trailer (and maybe you) up real bad.

I often would turn off the exhaust brake and ride the trailer brakes manually into those type of turns, that felt better in the seat of the pants, but it was just too sketchy for me and my use. Someone who's more experienced towing might have not been phased by it at all, what I was feeling might have been totally normal, but I didn't like it, and I could see how so much weight trying to push the truck sideways could, in some situations, get the better of it.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    That exact situation is what got me to trade in my 2019 250 for a 450 to tow my 351M. The 250 was "fine" even "good" in most towing situations, but coming downhill, hard on the exhaust brake, it just felt "loose". And I dreaded downhills with turns at the end of them; pretty common in the areas we camp (mountains). Nothing bad ever happened, but there's a whole lot of force trying to push the a** out from under you in that situation, and if it goes, you're not recovering, it's gonna jackknife and mess the truck and trailer (and maybe you) up real bad.

I often would turn off the exhaust brake and ride the trailer brakes manually into those type of turns, that felt better in the seat of the pants, but it was just too sketchy for me and my use. Someone who's more experienced towing might have not been phased by it at all, what I was feeling might have been totally normal, but I didn't like it, and I could see how so much weight trying to push the truck sideways could, in some situations, get the better of it.
    Nothing like "Real World" experience to drive home a point !!!!!
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Nothing like "Real World" experience to drive home a point !!!!!
    Yeah, you're welcome. My bank account didn't appreciate it (trading in a 250 w/<5K miles on it for a new 450) but, chalk it up to learning experience.

The other thing I'll mention, until you pull with a dually, you really can't conceptualize how much better it is. And it's better no matter what you have hooked up. I have a big GN dump trailer, a 7K landscape trailer and the 351M; on all of them, it's just significantly better than the 250 was. The stability is probably the biggest difference; I'm sure the higher gearing makes a difference as well, but the moment you hook up, it's immediately clear "this is better" when pulling with a dually. This is the first DRW I've owned, and, no question, we'll have a DRW in the stable for as long as we're towing trailers of any significance around. It would be hard to go back, particularly for the dump trailer (which can weigh in as much as the 351M) to a SRW. And I would have told you at the time that the 250 did a great job pulling the dump trailer. It did, but the 450 does a much better job of it.

Pulling down a highway that's smooth and straight, I'm not sure I'd put one as "much better" than the other. But the moment conditions deteriorate, rain, mountains, tight turns, slick roads; I'm incredibly happy I'm in the 450. It's all about "margin" in my opinion; if you have the right conditions, the difference isn't dramatic. But the more margin you have, the more conditions you'll be comfortable towing in.

Quick story, we bought the 450 around this time (2 years ago). Our first big trip with the RV was from Gaffney up to southern NJ to spend Christmas with the family. Get out on 81 in the evening and conditions were just horrific. Rain, light sleet, visibility awful, and, of course, big hills as you pick along the mountains. Tell you what, by the time we pulled into NJ, I was a firm believer we made the right decision. The confidence and capacity of the 450 made driving in those conditions feel reasonable and safe; in the 250, it would have been a long, white knuckle drive (at least for me).

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased my Solitude 345gk-r before purchasing my truck and went back and forth as well. I chose the Dodge Ram 3500 Dually. BEST decision...it handles great and I am fully confident it will meet my fulltime rv living needs! I highly recommend the dually!
    Best of luck!
    Loving my Solitude 345GK-R
    Dodge Ram 3500 Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    Yeah, you're welcome. My bank account didn't appreciate it (trading in a 250 w/<5K miles on it for a new 450) but, chalk it up to learning experience.

The other thing I'll mention, until you pull with a dually, you really can't conceptualize how much better it is. And it's better no matter what you have hooked up. I have a big GN dump trailer, a 7K landscape trailer and the 351M; on all of them, it's just significantly better than the 250 was. The stability is probably the biggest difference; I'm sure the higher gearing makes a difference as well, but the moment you hook up, it's immediately clear "this is better" when pulling with a dually. This is the first DRW I've owned, and, no question, we'll have a DRW in the stable for as long as we're towing trailers of any significance around. It would be hard to go back, particularly for the dump trailer (which can weigh in as much as the 351M) to a SRW. And I would have told you at the time that the 250 did a great job pulling the dump trailer. It did, but the 450 does a much better job of it.

Pulling down a highway that's smooth and straight, I'm not sure I'd put one as "much better" than the other. But the moment conditions deteriorate, rain, mountains, tight turns, slick roads; I'm incredibly happy I'm in the 450. It's all about "margin" in my opinion; if you have the right conditions, the difference isn't dramatic. But the more margin you have, the more conditions you'll be comfortable towing in.

Quick story, we bought the 450 around this time (2 years ago). Our first big trip with the RV was from Gaffney up to southern NJ to spend Christmas with the family. Get out on 81 in the evening and conditions were just horrific. Rain, light sleet, visibility awful, and, of course, big hills as you pick along the mountains. Tell you what, by the time we pulled into NJ, I was a firm believer we made the right decision. The confidence and capacity of the 450 made driving in those conditions feel reasonable and safe; in the 250, it would have been a long, white knuckle drive (at least for me).
    I am glad you are happy you are happy with the dually, but I wouldn't depend on any truck regardless of size or configuration to try to handle conditions that my impact the stability of the RV. The trailer weighs somewhere between 8-10 tons. The truck weighs 4 tons. If 8-10 tons gets out of sorts, 4 tons is not going to stop it from doing what it wants to do, regardless of how many tires it has.

For anyone who remembers the RV accident in Utah that threw the truck over the edge of the bridge and left the truck dangling by a safety chain, that was an F-350 towing a travel trailer.

https://www.abc4.com/news/national/r...p-idaho-gorge/

I would guess with that truck and trailer combination he had at least 100% margin in towing capacity and payload, but when the trailer got out of sorts from the wind none of that mattered. Of course this was an F-350 SRW; if he had a DRW he probably would have been ok (sorry couldn't resist the smart comment).

For handling downhills and curves, we have real world experience with that in our SRW and 381. To get to Luray Caverns in Virginia from Route 81 we used exit 264 and drove directly up and then down over the mountains. On the downhill side there are 7 turns, two of them full 180 degree turns. We did that with our SRW truck and 381 loaded to 18,900 pounds with no issues. I left the trailer brake on and did the speed limit all the way down without ever touching the brakes. The only concern I had during this part of the trip was the long line of traffic behind me since I was doing the speed limit.

If having a dually and/or more margin makes the towing experience more comfortable for the user then that is a great thing for the user. But since all the trucks are held to the SAE 2807 standard which specifically tests stability up to the truck design limits there shouldn't be any issue using either configuration all the way up to their design limits.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast